PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding 0 net carb/sugar free candies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jessw
Tue, Nov-09-04, 14:52
Is this ok to be eating since it has 0 NET carbs,it has 15 carbs but 0 net carbs,is this allowed?? It is also sugar free! :yum: I would LOVE to have candies as i think it would be much easier to stick to this diet. Do we only count NET carbs? Sorry to sound so stupid i just dont understand the NET carbs and lots of good things i have seen at the grocery store now says it has "such and such" Net carbs. :help:

I went on Atkins 2 years ago but had to quit because i found out i was pregnant,last time i lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks,will i have the same success this time or will it be harder to loose the weight((as i have heard))??

I am so happy right now,and i cant wait to meet all ya nice people :wave:

Thanks Everyone,you input is greatly appreciated!!

Jess

kirst
Tue, Nov-09-04, 15:44
I am not sure about net carbs either.

However my feeling is that while I am on Induction I am going to ignore the net carb count. I only noticed net carb counts in the newer books, I don't remember reading about net carbs in my DANDR book.

I would be curious as to other peoples results when counting net carbs.

ellie2
Tue, Nov-09-04, 16:03
I love those candies but they have stalled my weight loss in the past (plus if you eat too many or you are intolerant of them they will have you on the toilet all night!!! Trust me! ) Technically net carbs are supposed to be those which affect your blood sugar (i think it's carbs - fiber grams and...wait! okay i have a package of low carb chocolate covered pretzels (don't judge) they say that net carbs are those which are left over after you subtract fiber and maltitol "a low-digestible carbohydrate" (ie probably the stuff that gives ya the runs). I would agree with kirst and avoid them during induction but if used in moderation afterwards sometimes these low carb candies can be a life saver. One more piece of advice- I got the atkins chips and i swear i have never had worse indigestion in my life (and low carb gummie candies my roommate and i have found to be particularly bad for keeping you close to a rest room)

Jessw
Tue, Nov-09-04, 18:40
Thanks for the heads up!!! I guess i will avoid them for now. I dont want any slowing down as far as the weight loss quite yet,i just started on sunday! Thanks again.

Jess :wave:

astrocreep
Tue, Nov-09-04, 22:14
Jess I would buy a small pkg of the LC candies though if candy was your carby snack before only because it will help you through induction. On my first day of induction I made mini LC cheesecakes and had 1/2 everynight (abt 2.5g carbs). Those cheesecakes certainly helped me get through induction without cheating at all!! PLUS if you are tempted by regular candy you can always pop in some LC one and everything will be ok! Just don't eat the whole bloody package, I've had my package (Russell Stover Peanut Butter Cups)for about 2 months now and there's a good 1/2 left. I have also not experienced any slow down while eating the sugar alcohols, try them out if you're ok with them then there's no reason why you can't eat them, LoL. BTW I was at the grocery store and they had 0g net orange cream popsicles. Well good luck with induction!!!

Jessw
Wed, Nov-10-04, 08:31
Jess I would buy a small pkg of the LC candies though if candy was your carby snack before only because it will help you through induction. On my first day of induction I made mini LC cheesecakes and had 1/2 everynight (abt 2.5g carbs). Those cheesecakes certainly helped me get through induction without cheating at all!! PLUS if you are tempted by regular candy you can always pop in some LC one and everything will be ok! Just don't eat the whole bloody package, I've had my package (Russell Stover Peanut Butter Cups)for about 2 months now and there's a good 1/2 left. I have also not experienced any slow down while eating the sugar alcohols, try them out if you're ok with them then there's no reason why you can't eat them, LoL. BTW I was at the grocery store and they had 0g net orange cream popsicles. Well good luck with induction!!!

Thanks so much for the advice,i think i will have my husband pick some up for me if i become really desperate lol and i cant take it anymore,like yesterday lol but i made it through the day just fine.I am so motivated to loose this baby weight,i think i would feel so guilty if i cheated at all :)

I just know i can get to where i use to be if i put my mind to it! Thanks everyone!! :wave:

Jess(making progress)
was 152
todat 149!

nikkil
Fri, Nov-12-04, 08:01
RUN from those candies!!!! Seriously, IMO, they will stall you, kick you out of ketosis and/or cause you to crave and possibly go off plan. If you really feel you need something sweet try some diet soda over ice with a bit of cream (Diet Rite Raspberry or Tangerine tastes like a Creamcicle), some sf jello sweetened with Splenda if you can find it, or check out the recipe section. Those sugar alcohols are the devil, I tell ya!!!

HTH,

jagbender
Fri, Nov-12-04, 09:22
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859
Read this too.

Jag

janey626
Fri, Nov-12-04, 10:03
Where do you find sf jello w/splenda? I love jello, but I have avoided it because I do not want the aspartame? They gotta have it somewhere, let me know!
Thanks!

Akasha
Fri, Nov-12-04, 11:37
Those candies are evil.... Run away from them. LOL. Sugar Alcohols are not cool, and they stall me right out if I eat too many of them.

Shecall30!
Mon, Jan-24-05, 17:49
I'm doing the south beach diet/atkins and I've tried eating the sugar free candy from russell stover. I've had trouble understanding the alcohol and the carbs that I have used. If someone could please help me. Thanks

astrocreep
Mon, Jan-24-05, 17:58
I'm not 100% sure what the sugar alcohols are but they seem to affect everybody differently. I have no probs tolerating them and they dont stall me either. Just about all sugar free and/or diabetic foods have sugar alcohols in it.

AmandaLynn
Mon, Jan-24-05, 21:09
net carbs are carb count minues the fiber..... or at least thats what ive been told. in dr atkins newest books he counts net carbs

shellslyn
Mon, Jan-24-05, 21:15
Once you stop eating these sweets, ie:strict induction, you will not have a need for them.

Challenge yourself to two weeks without any sweets....believe me, it's worth it.

Starve the beast....it will go away.