PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian low-carb menus?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

julesmck
Mon, Nov-08-04, 08:55
Hi, just wondering what you vegetarian low-carbers eat every day. Would some of you be willing to post a typical day's intake? I'm restarting low-carb and would like to stick to vegetarian foods since I can no longer choke down meat and eggs very easily. Thanks!

Elsah
Mon, Nov-08-04, 10:55
For me a typical veggie day would be,

Breakfast:
1 soy sausage patty
1 slice lc toast with butter
1 slice of pumpkin bake

Lunch:
2 cups or more of romaine lettuce, feta cheese, almond slices, red pepper strips and oil and vinegar based salad dressing
Baked tofu (topped with a mixture of cheese, mayo, spices and mustard before baking)

Snack:
full fat plain yogurt and homemade granola

Dinner:
Shepherds pie (made with morningstar crumbles, mushrooms and onions for bottom layer, topped with green beans, cover that with LC ketchup then top with a layer of mashed cauliflower and then top with cheddar cheese and bake)
fried apple slices (fried in a little butter and sprinkled with splenda)

Bthshba
Wed, Nov-10-04, 14:18
I am on day 4 of my induction. And yes i am in ketosis. Yesterday I ate

Breakfast:
Cashew butter balls rolled in unsweetened coconut and splenda (a lot)

Lunch:
A huge bowl of spinach greens tossed with flavored almonds and blue cheese dressing. A can of diet rite (splenda) peach flavored.

After work:
deviled eggs

Dinner:
Tempeh soup with veg broth and pepper jack cheese and stewed spinach

Dessert:
Splenda sweetened cookies and cream ice cream (with more coconut)

cab54
Thu, Nov-11-04, 15:00
WHERE did you get peach-flavored diet rite? That sounds GREAT and I sure haven't seen any around where I live!

kiwigal
Thu, Nov-11-04, 15:04
Mmmmmm! care to share the recipe for the cashew butter balls?..they sound delish!!! pretty please!!

Bthshba
Fri, Nov-12-04, 07:16
diet rite comes in several flavores, cola, tangerine, strawberry kiwi and peach. My grandmother gets hers at the super walmart. I get my from Dillons (a grocery store that is called Krogers in other parts of the country). Good luck. I couldn't have made it past induction without this cheat.

I make cashew butter balls with my kids, kinda like playdough and we all get dirty. And i just realized that cashews have more carbs than most nuts, so I will probaby use peanut or almond butter from now on. If you dont have a health food store around with lots of nut butters, your local Seventh Day Adventist church may have a food coop where they make it themselves. (These guys are vegans if you didnt know, and here they have AWESOME vegan fellowship meals (buffet) on saturday. Its a treat.
With the cashew butter balls, I just get a scoop of nut butter and roll it in splenda, then unsweetened coconut. that is all. I get my coconut from my local asian market (much cheeper than health food store).

kiwigal
Sat, Nov-13-04, 04:56
Thanks for that...i'll have to try them!

gillharley
Sun, Nov-14-04, 13:13
I'm a veggie and I eat:

Breakfast: Soy sausages, mycoprotein bacon, mushrooms, omlette and tomatoes, with jasmin tea.

Lunch: Salad with roasted peppers, avocado, feta cheese, asparagus spears, mung bean sprouts, celery, radishes, walnuts and various dark green leaves.

Dinner: Steamed cauliflower, squash and leaks, sprinkled with Atlantic Sea Salad (seaweed) and my own peanut and coconut satay sauce. For dessert: blueberries (or any berries) with organic double cream.

However, I've now got what feels like gout in my big toe, so I'm being advised to avoid the mushrooms, cauliflower, asparagus and egg. Does anyone else have any experieence of or recommendations for gout?