PDA

View Full Version : How often should I visit the scale?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tigerfly
Fri, Nov-05-04, 21:25
:q: I'm annoyed with my weight yo yoing throughout the day...

As you can see, I'm going through an obsessive stage with my scale...

So please tell me when it's best to weigh and how often to do it. :q:

astrocreep
Sat, Nov-06-04, 00:03
Alot of people weigh 1x a week (like a sunday) first thing in the morning before they get dressed, eat etc, but after they go to the bathroom (LoL so you can loose that extra lb of pee or so in you LoL).

Tigerfly
Sat, Nov-06-04, 02:04
Thanks, today I used the scale everytime I went to the bathroom, or passed by the bathroom...

Once a week is probably better. :c)

camaromom
Sat, Nov-06-04, 07:04
My trainer told me to weigh once a month. Too long for me to weight (lol wait). I weigh weekly. Body weight can fluctuate throughout the day. I definately would not weigh more than once a day.

4beans4me
Sat, Nov-06-04, 07:29
I weigh daily, right when I get up. :)

bob2112
Sat, Nov-06-04, 07:34
I weigh daily just to check for fluctations -- but only do an official weigh in on Monday mornings.

jamian
Sat, Nov-06-04, 11:48
Yep, first thing in the morning after you do your business is best, it is the most accurate and consistent.

I think it is deffinitely best not to weigh every day. Your weight can fluctuate up to 4 lbs in a day just because of what you eat, how much sodium you have, how much fluid you have consumed and retained.

I weigh every five days. I find it too hard to make it a whole week. Five days is almost always enough to see some true loss, and often enough to keep me motivated. And if there is no loss it is only five more days 'till you might see some.

Good luck, just do what feels right and keeps you sane. :)

Kristine
Sat, Nov-06-04, 12:05
Weekly is good, and right after the end of your period is pretty much the 'basal' level. :thup:

nanjack200
Mon, Nov-08-04, 09:23
I weigh in the morning when I get up and after I have made my trip to the bathroom....

kyrasdad
Mon, Nov-08-04, 11:40
I go every day after I get up, just so I keep tabs on it. I want to know. I don't "count" it other than on Monday mornings. I bounce throughout the week, but my official weight is whatever I weighed on Monday morning till the next Monday morning.

Dewi
Mon, Nov-08-04, 11:44
I weigh in every morning after I go to the bathroom. However I only track my weight every Monday.

Kagior
Mon, Nov-08-04, 13:55
I weigh every morning because I find it really heartening to know that that big number is no longer a part of my life. My official weigh day is Thursday since that is the day I started. I chart my weight and measurements every Thursday. I do occasionally weigh in the evening at Judo, but that number is different because I am fully dressed, have eaten food and drunk lots of water, so I expect it to be higher than my official weight. I use it as a check of my scale at home(which appears to weigh about three pounds light in comparison), and to determine my weight class for tournaments.

If you like to get on that scale a lot, don't be surprised with the massive fluctuations throughout the day. Either weigh once a day or week at the same time, or chart your usual weights at the beginning and end of the day and only weigh then.

lisaissa
Tue, Nov-09-04, 06:49
I used to weigh every time I go into the bathroom. When I do purchase a scale today I know I will step on it every morning but my official weight day is on a Monday morning.

lasert
Tue, Nov-09-04, 07:13
when I am having trouble with eating habits, weight gains, or whatever else that might be plaguing me.........I often weigh every morning as well just to get the motivation to stick more closely to goals for eating (if I am having trouble).
However, for the records I keep on my personal FitDay, once a week is more than enough................unless you are keeping up the log portion as well, in which case you may want to note what you ate the day before etc. and see how it may be temporarily effecting your daily weight.
I have been experiencing a problem recently in which I am getting a liquid buildup inside my pelvic area (they are still trying to determine what is happening) and the daily weighing in addition to tape measuring provides me with a way to report to the doctors what is happening to my body.

Rune1990
Tue, Nov-09-04, 09:46
I weigh every day, especially since i got my new digital scale that measures in small increments. However, I only record my weight on Mondays :)

I measure once a month generally.

carabajalk
Tue, Nov-09-04, 14:10
I weigh every day but record once a week on sat. :D

vpsutton
Tue, Nov-09-04, 17:17
I haven't been at this long, but the Carbohydrate Addicts book recommended weighing daily and averaging your weekly weight. The difference between the average each week is what you have lost. That takes out the daily fluctuations.... however I always mentally think I am down to the lowest weight. :) Plus since I am not very far along, I just need to see that scale dropping.