PDA

View Full Version : Modifying low-carb with fruit this time - success!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ninafel
Fri, Nov-05-04, 13:50
I first tried Atkins in 1972 when I was college, and several times after that, but it always left me with the feeling that I would kill for an orange! Even though I adore meat and cheese and fat, I also love many healthy foods, and I missed fruit the most! I just couldn't stay on Atkins without feeling miserable.

So I decided to allow myself unlimited fruit. And now, following a low-carb (if you can call it that) diet on a long term basis--maybe forever--is a breeze!

I guess the secret, for me, to staying on an eating plan and not giving up, is not to have to limit fat or count calories, like on other diets that have made me feel deprived. I can drink wine. I can eat cheese and meat and butter and sour cream. I just skip the flour, grains, potatoes, and sweets. They weren't my favorites, anyway. As an adult, I've always liked cheese and fruit (or cheese and wine) better than cookies, anyway!

I don't weigh myself often, because I used to be too obsessed with my weight and it was unhealthy mentally to concentrate too much on dieting and the scale. But I could tell that my clothes fit better, and recently (November 1st) had to weigh myself at a doctor's appointment. It turns out that since April 20th I've lost 10 pounds, even eating fruit and not counting carbs!

Yes, that's right, I don't count carbs. That, like counting calories, made it too hard to stick to this thing on a long-term basis. I just don't have the time or energy to sweat the small stuff. But I after all this time I generally know what's low carb, and other than fruits and veggies, that's what I eat.

I guess it's that the low-carb foods that make up most of my diet are so filling--plus it's harder to eat as much butter if you don't have rice, potatoes, or bread or crackers to put it on--but whatever it is, I think I must be eating fewer calories, even though I feel I indulge in as much luxurious food as I want (avocados, olives, roast beef, hollandaise sauce...). I've heard that the real reason low-carb diets work is that you automatically cut a few calories every day by limiting yourself to only certain types of foods, and that's fine with me--especially knowing I only have to limit a couple of categories.

Is anyone else doing anything like this? It seems like it's a bit like _Atkins for Life_.

Nina

lynn1968
Fri, Nov-05-04, 15:10
Hi Nina and welcome. :wave:
There are actually alot of plans out there and some of them are similar to the one you are following. I have a feeling that I am going to be switching soon to a plan called Lean for Life, which is very similar but also includes cycling. So you have low carb weeks and then you and fruit and vegis to make higher carb weeks so that you do not get into a rut. I think the key is just finding something that works and applying all of you commitment to it.
Well Good Luck and once again :wave: welcome.

florida_r
Fri, Nov-05-04, 15:45
Hello!

I modify the Atkins diet, by adding a few things that I feel are necessary for me...this way I know I will stick to the diet. I actually eat Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Peanuts. I also eat Prego to put on my meatballs that I buy in the frozen department. Last year I lost down to the low 140s doing it this way. I gained quite a few pounds back when I went back to school, but I am back to the low carb eating. It's been about two weeks and a half and I have lost 10 pounds so far.

I feel that what ever works for you, is the best. If you won't stick to Atkins as a new way of life, then I say do what works for you. As for me, go really low carb, helps me with my cravings and hunger pains. I think the fruit would make me crave foods, I don't need to be craving.:p

Well, good luck and let us know how this turns out for you in the long run.

zedneser
Fri, Nov-05-04, 16:02
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/500/62812welcome.gif

4beans4me
Fri, Nov-05-04, 19:19
Welcome to the forums Nina! :wave:

bob2112
Fri, Nov-05-04, 19:44
Welcome aboard, Nina.

kiwigal
Fri, Nov-05-04, 22:10
Welcome Nina...no diet can be a "one size fits all" thing...so what you're doing is simply tailoring and tweaking things to suit you!..this will have more chance of becoming a way of life/eating rather than just a means to an end or diet...Good luck with what you're doing..if its working and you're getting good results..don't try fixing it!! :wave:

amers
Sat, Nov-06-04, 03:24
Wow, you started Atkins before I was born!!

I think if this is going to be a way of life for us, we shouldnt need to "deprive" ourselves of those things we love the most. (like strawberries!!)

welcome!

Jazzylyn
Sat, Nov-06-04, 05:34
Welcome to the forums Nina! :wave: