PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out... a newbie here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

talker384
Thu, Nov-04-04, 15:36
undefined :wave: Hi everyone! I'm Julie. I started lc-ing about five weeks ago after stumbling upon Dana Carpender's 500 Low-Carb Recipes cookbook at an Ollie's discount store. The recipes looked great. In short order, I checked out her lowcarbezine and a couple discussion lists. I was TOTALLY encouraged by all the Lowcarbers and their tips.

I have recently been diagnosed with Type II diabetes, high blood pressure and all kinds of related conditions. I decided to take matters in hand and get rid of a lot of this excess weight. I weighed 293 lbs. five weeks ago. Today I weigh 271. I've read Atkins, Sears, Heller & Heller and half a dozen other books on the subject. I'm thinking I might have to pick one and REALLY follow it as right now I am just kinda "wingin' it" which I don't think is the best plan.

At first, my kids, both of whom are also overweight, were resistant to the changes in our WOE. My daughter is willing to eat whatever I prepare but falls back into old habits if I fail to prepare specific meals. (I haven't yet TOTALLY de-carbed the basement freezer). My son was a pain in the padupa re: the meals until he started seeing my weightloss and increased energy. He has, in the last two weeks, becomes MUCH more cooperative and is now watching his carbs as well. He has dropped 6-7 lbs. I'm not sure what my girl has lost, if any, but I believe she has as well.

I have experienced increased energy, better sleep, my headaches have gone away, my afternoon slump exhaustion is gone and so is the restless leg syndrome at night. I am loving life!!! I gave away my 3x dresses, am already wearing pants and suits I haven't been able to wear in years. I have sworn off the elevator at work and am now "takin' the stairs" everyday all day in the courthouse where I run from courtroom to courtroom as the staff Spanish interpreter (ergo the name "talker").

I have read the stories on this forum all afternoon (bewteen cases) and been inspired. Go team!

God bless you all for taking the time to encourage and share your experiences.

Julie, the talker384

krazzybird
Thu, Nov-04-04, 15:56
Julie -

Welcome to the forum! :wave: There are sooo many great people on the forum, I am sure you will find everyone supportive and full of great tips! Contrats on your huge weight loss so far - that is great - woo hoo :cheer:
Glad to hear you are finding the LC lifestyle workable for your whole family - that is wonderful!! Keep up the good work and see you around the forum.

Sneaky2006
Thu, Nov-04-04, 16:00
Hello Julie!! Welcome. Congrats on your loss so far, wishing you much luck. Hope to see you around. :wave:

Talla
Thu, Nov-04-04, 16:03
Hi Julie
Congrats on your weight loss so far!!!! Keep up the positive attitude.

Dewi
Thu, Nov-04-04, 16:34
Hi Julie!

Welcome to the Forum :wave: .

You've done great so far and I think its terrific your children are slowly falling suit.

Good Luck to you all!

Dewi

MissScruff
Thu, Nov-04-04, 17:17
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif

bob2112
Thu, Nov-04-04, 17:23
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your loss so far.