PDA

View Full Version : LCing in Canada

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

phatgirl29
Fri, Oct-29-04, 19:27
My apologies to those who saw this in the "products to avoid" thread.

Any Canucks out there know what's good north of the border? Here's a summary of what I've found with LC products here:

Atkins Advantage Bars -- some are better than others; they're ok in a pinch
Atkins Endulge Bars -- the choco mint is to die for!!!! I'm afraid to check for the transfats and SAs though!
Atkins Prepared Shakes -- slightly slimy; again they're ok in a pinch
Atkins Shake Mix -- AWESOME! I make mine with more water than they suggest to thin it out a bit and then I add a tbsp or 2 of cream to give it a creamy taste
Atkins Morning start Bars -- pretty good, especially the strawberry crunch one
Atkins Morning start cereal -- GAG!!!! Absolutely horrid!
Atkins Pancake/Waffle mix -- not bad but the Atkins syrup is like "maple flavoured water"
Atkins Muffin mixes -- I find them quite tasty but a little rubbery
Atkins flavoured syrups -- not bad
Atkins bread -- slightly odd tasting
Atkins bagels -- the cinnamon raisin ones are quite good!
Odyssey Bars -- I don't know if it was the SAs or what but they gave me big time stomach cramps and intestinal difficulties if you get my meaning
SlimFast Carb Zone -- LOVE the commercials! Have only tried cookies n dreams but they're AWESOME! Didn't check for transfats or SAs -- probably loaded with them since they taste so great!
Carb Options PB -- Disgusting! Forget the transfat thing the taste itself is reason enough to avoid it!
Carb Options Salad Dressings -- tasteless -- you're just as good to buy Kraft and use a little less of it
Special K LC -- I don't really know since hubby finished the box before I could try any
Keto Muffin Mix -- extremely dry -- kind of like cardboard
Orowheat Tortillas -- Yummy! I also picked up a LC wrap at Costco which had only 5 net carbs and was also quite tasty though I can't remember the name of it.
LC Pitas -- tasty!; also purchased at Costco; also forgetting the name of it
Dempster's LC bread -- pretty good; made great stuffing at Thanksgiving

OK looking back on this list, I guess there are a lot of LC products available here -- and these are just the ones I've tried! Anyway, new regulations passed by our version of the FDA are making it taboo to put "Low Carb" "Net Carb" "Impact Carbs" or anything like that on food labels. They are also squashing brand names which refer to carbs (i.e. Carb Options) That should make LCing in Canada interesting when all the new regs come into effect. I guess I need to get really good at label reading before then eh?

Anyway, hope anyone who managed to wade their way through this found something useful!

Ta!

LukeA
Fri, Oct-29-04, 20:21
Heres the products i have tried thus far:
atkins canned chocolate shakes: They were pretty decent, though i didnt like the texture much.
atkins advantage bars: I have tried a couple kinds, they were *ok*, but they did taste mighty "artificial" to me...
atkins endulge peanut butter cups: didn't like these much at all, a lot because of the digestive upset from the sugar alcohols.
atkins endulge carmel nut chew: tasted good, but again didnt like the sa's
atkins bbq sauce: tasted pretty good , though the texture wasnt much to my liking.
atkins teryaki sauce: Liked it better than the bbq sauce but still the texture wasnt right.
carb options ketchup style sauce: tasted same as normal ketchup to me, though i don't have the worlds greatest tastebuds i am told lol and my roomate thinks it is gross.
carb options origional bbq sauce: good stuff.
carb options hickory bbq sauce: not as good as the other, but still pretty good.
carb options skippy peanut butter: i didnt buy this, my roomate did...it tastes just like normal "junk" peanut butter to me...i didnt like it both because of the taste, and the hydrogenated oil. There are way better all natural ones sold (i like adams best) that taste better, and arent bad for you.
carb options iced tea mix: I couldnt tell the difference between it, and the normal iced tea mix sold. I much prefer my homemade iced tea though made with splenda.
carb options pasta sauces: i tried one of the tomatoe based ones, and a alfredo sauce, i didnt like either AT ALL, they were disgusting imo, and most of them were dumped down our garberator :lol:
dreamfeilds pastas: i only had a bite of what my roomate made...tasted like regular past to me, so once i reach goal i will probably eat this more often.
Healthy way carb conscious bread: I had half a slice, and it was actually very good imo as far as commercial breads go.
carb options salad dressings: SO GROSS!!! there are so many other better tasting salad dressings sold that are just as low in carbs.
Atkins morning start cereal: I had the almond one, i suppose it was "ok", but i really was never big on breakfast cereal, and i wouldnt be upset in the slightest if it never could pass my lips again!
atkins pancake syrup: was quite good i thought. i know lots of people find it "watery", but i don't, after all real maple syrup is just as thin in texture.

All these products, i know i could lc and do quite well without once canadas labeling laws change, none of them i like THAT much, and i was already obsessed with reading labels before this wol anyway. :lol:
Though if i especially am wanting something, i can get one of my american relatives to post me whatever i want. :agree:

dasanipure
Tue, Nov-02-04, 14:15
great idea for a thread, christed! hopefully it will get us more signatures on the petition too!

H20Goddess
Tue, Mar-15-05, 13:26
What stores have you all found most of your Aktins/Lc products in? I have only been able to located little smatterings of Atkins and other LC stuff here and there, usually such a small amount of products that you'd miss them if you didn't look hard enough. Sobeys grocery stroes sells a little bit and Shoppers Drug Mart a little bit, but that's about all I have been able to locate thus far.

Anne55
Tue, Mar-15-05, 14:08
Hi, I am also from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia and there isn't much to buy here in low carb. A few days ago I ordered some DaVinci sugar free syrups and low carb La Tortilla tortillas online. I haven't received them yet but I think ordering online is the only way to get a variety of low carb foods in this area.