PDA

View Full Version : What gets you started?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jdouglass
Wed, Oct-27-04, 11:12
Hello all,

Ok, I'm going to be honest...I'm struggling and I've barely begun. I just can't seem to get through day 1. It's not that I'm having constant cravings or anything of the like, it's the thought of "off-limit" foods. I have been on some form of diet ever since highschool (I am now 2 years out of college). I have restricted calories, fat, carbs, you name it I've done it.

When I left college, I ballooned to my biggest of 172. Since then I have lost 22 pounds but that was primarily through low-calorie diet and lots of running. I can't do the low calorie thing anymore! It takes a tremendous toll on my body.

I want to lose this last 25-30 pounds and find my natural balance as I call it...I know it's there, I was there 3 years ago while on Atkins.

I find that these forums are so supportive...I just started posting yesterday and am hoping to get some thoughts on how people got through those first initial days of Induction. Where did you find your strength/motivation? Aside from visualizing how you will look and feel after the weight is gone. I find I am almost over run with thoughts of what I can't eat and won't ever eat even though I know that is not the case.

Ok, I'm done rambling...

I hope to hear from some of you! I want to be a supportive member as well so I can't wait to get to know some of you!

J

nikotyme
Wed, Oct-27-04, 11:31
Hey J

Welcome aboard the forums, you're right, they're a great place to ask for advice and find inspiration to complete this journey and accept that it is a WOE for life.

What got me started....well I weighed considerably more than you do, was always tired and uncomfortable, had trouble breathing and sleeping well and just generally hated the way I'd become so much that staying on program was like a last-ditch effort before I would finally explode.

The pounds came off quickly at first which served to encourage me to stick with it, I kept feeling better and better the more weight came off, able to do more physical stuff....such as walking on the beach for more than 5 minutes before having to take a breather.

I didn't cheat because I've learned from experience, I don't stop . So it's safer for me to stay on program, and hey, it's not such a bad way of life really. You get used to it sooner if you stay on program, you lose the cravings and begin to gain confidence that you can beat the weight problem, that you won't be a slave to your cravings anymore, that finally, you're in control.

Start a journal, sign up for fitday.com, and monitor your carb intake, come by the forums often and read the success stories, you will be surprised at the good influence these have on your way of thinking.

Best of luck to you on your weight loss journey.

Take care

Yaberhoo
Wed, Oct-27-04, 11:38
Hi jdouglass! I can tell you that Induction was one of the hardest things I have had to do. For me the first three days were real nail biters as my body was being flushed and recalibrated. I am doing LC in a household where there are non LCers, so I was not able to purge the house of the candy, breads, and potato chips like I wanted to. On the fourth day my cravings went away and I really had no interest in junk food.

One of the things that helped me the most besides a healthy dose of raw determination was that I was constantly cruising the recipe forum for meal ideas and trying to focus on what I COULD have rather than what I couldn't have. Many of the recipes on this site are quite good. I also started experimenting with spices and different cooking techniques to prevent my meal plan from getting boring. Try new vegetables. That is definately interesting.

Try changing your routine. I changed my driving routes so I don't pass my favorite fast food restaurants so I don't end up thinking about what I can't have. Start walking during you time off. Don't allow yourself to become stagnant. If you used to eat while watching TV, turn it off or figure out something you can do with your hands while watching.

I bought a package of sugar free candy and put it in my cupboard. For a few days I had a craving for something sweet. I bought the candy, had one piece (which was really yummy), and three weeks later the entire bag is still sitting on the shelf. It was no longer a novelty and was perfectly accessable, therefore I lost interest in it.

Whatever you do you need to figure out a way to distract yourself from obsessing about what you can't have. If you need a red cape and a bull, so be it.:lol:
Good Luck!!

Rita

Iowagirl
Wed, Oct-27-04, 12:06
Definately start a journal - either here or on paper. When you feel awful, write down your thoughts, get it out of your system.
Are you still exercising, J? If not, try to get back in the swing, perhaps try something new. A good walk will do wonders.

Hang in there!!!!

Jazzylyn
Wed, Oct-27-04, 15:09
Hi J!
I got through the first part of induction simply because I couldn't stand how I felt or looked. I also didn't want the added health problems that can come along with the added weight. So that was enough for me to seriously do this thing. It's THE BEST thing I've ever done. I feel great, and my goal is within reach!

Consider starting a journal, its a great help and a great place to share your thoughts and struggles. We all go through them and we'll be right here to support you :wave: :wave:

MissScruff
Sat, Oct-30-04, 17:58
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif