PDA

View Full Version : Cranberry orange walnut bread - awesome fall treat

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ItsTheWooo
Tue, Oct-26-04, 13:25
Cranberry walnut bread is my favorite fall comfort food. I have so many memories of eating it on chilly mornings with hot tea or cocoa. I took the recipe my mom made and combined it with one for LC banana nut bread. While it's not perfect (it's missing the gluey-chewyness of wheat flour, and the top isn't "crunchy" due to lack of sugar), it definitely hits the spot and brings back memories :).

-4 tablespoons of butter, room temp (half a stick)
-2 eggs
-anywhere from .25 to .5 cup of reduced sugar orange juice (less juice will make your bread drier and less orangy and tangy. more juice will make it much more moist and flavorful... use per carb, taste and texture preference)
-1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
-Sweetness to taste (the original recipe recommend artificial sweetener = to 1 cup, but personally I would find that much to sweet and only like .75 cup sugar's sweeteness max... the juice and jam add a lot of sweet so you don't really need much AS)
-1-2 tablespoons splenda sweetened orange jam (you could also sub orange for a flavor in the same vein, I used apricot. The jam adds a lot of texture and flavor, but it also adds carbs so use per your preference).
-6 tablespoons nut meal, walnut preferred (I used almond)
-2 tablespoons oat bran (you can sub more nut meal for the bran to reduce carbs)
-4 tablespoons oat flour
-4 tablespoons high gluten wheat flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1.5 teaspoon baking powder
-half a 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries, chopped in a food processor.
-a tablespoon of splenda to sprinkle on the cranberries and reduce their tartness (mix the splenda and berries like a salad)
-1.5 ounces of walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a small bread pan and set aside.
Take out the butter and eggs to let it get room temp. While you wait on that,
mix together all the dry ingredients in one bowl, set aside. Prepare the cranberries and walnuts, set aside.
Whip with a blender the butter and artificial sweetener. Add wet ingredients one at a time, plus the grated orange peel, mix well.
Mix in dry ingredients.
Fold in the cranberries and nuts, and then evenly distribute the mixture into the bread pan.
Bake for about 50 minutes or until done (clean toothpick, springy to touch).

Cool, cut and enjoy :). It's awesome with hazlenut cocoa or spiced cinnamon orange tea for breakfast.

The entire recipe has roughly 1600 calories and 80 carbs (these values fluctuate depending on how much of certain ingredients you use). I make 16 servings out of it, so each slice has 100 cals and 5 carbs.

When I made it I used .5 cup juice, 1.5 tbsp jelly, a tablespoon of sour cream and a little less gluten flour than what I recommend here. I think next time I make it I'm going to try using less juice, more jelly, no sour cream (don't like the taste in this recipe), and more gluten flour. Hopefully this will result in a drier, springier, chewy bread (which is more like the one my mom made).

4beans4me
Tue, Oct-26-04, 13:31
This sounds fantastic Woo! Did you use the CarbCountdown juice?

4beans4me
Tue, Oct-26-04, 13:32
ps. funny you posted this today.. I was staring at 2 bags of fresh cranberries I froze last year after Christmas and was wondering what the heck I was going to do with them! :lol: Thanks! :)

ItsTheWooo
Tue, Oct-26-04, 14:06
This sounds fantastic Woo! Did you use the CarbCountdown juice?
Sorry I shoulda mentioned it, the brand I'm partial to is Tropicana's Light N Healthy. An 8 ounce glass has 50 cals/13 carbs. However, any brand of reduced or no sugar added OJ should work well.

ItsTheWooo
Tue, Oct-26-04, 14:13
ps. funny you posted this today.. I was staring at 2 bags of fresh cranberries I froze last year after Christmas and was wondering what the heck I was going to do with them! :lol: Thanks! :)

Yep, cranberries are terrific in colder weather aren't they?

If they are frozen berries, remember to defrost and drain the juices. The orange juice is adding a lot of liquid already, so the liquid from the freezing of the berries might mess it up.

Transplant
Wed, Nov-03-04, 05:45
Questions: Do you think I could use orange oil, instead of the juice. I have no idea what the carb count is, but will check that out. We have no low carb OJ here.

Also, the flour--we have bags of regular flour that are labelled "high gluten"--is that what you mean? This is the type of flour I used to use for making pizza. We also have something called high gluten baking flour, for breads, etc.

Finally, the only "jam" without sugar we have here is all natural, but it is made with the juice of the fruit, I think. My guess is that it is really high carb...but again, don't know. Any ideas for a substitution or how it might be without?

Thanks! It sounds totally yummy and cranberries are starting to appear more and more in Danish supermarkets, so I'd love to find something to make with them!