PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Twin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Natrushka
Thu, Sep-27-01, 12:41
Does anyone know of a site where Canadian Sugar Twin can be ordered online?

I've been searching to no avail.

Nat

Karen
Thu, Sep-27-01, 22:34
Just curious. Why are you looking for it online?

Karen

doreen T
Thu, Sep-27-01, 23:13
Global Drugs (Canada) sells Sugar Twin and Sucaryl (both are cyclamate formulas) online. They are located in Calgary Alberta.

http://www.globaldrugs.com/pharmacy/31005.htm

Yes, they do ship to the US, but there are some regulations about cyclamates ... I think they may be permitted a certain amount "for personal use only", as it is not permitted for retail sale.

Yet.

Doreen

Raven
Thu, Sep-27-01, 23:29
Alrighty - what is Canadian sugar twin and how is it different from the sugar twin we get in the states? Color me curious...

doreen T
Thu, Sep-27-01, 23:49
It's made with cyclamate, a non-caloric sweetener that was banned in the US, but has been used safely in Canada and Europe since the '70's. It isn't used in any commercial foods, only sold as a tabletop sweetener in packets, bulk powder (like Splenda), zero carb liquid, tablets and there's a bulk brown sugar flavour. It's stable in cooking, and has half the carbs of Splenda, since it requires less maltodextrin to bulk it up.

Rumour has it that the US FDA may be lifting the ban in the near future.

Info from the Calorie Control Council http://www.caloriecontrol.org/cyclamat.html

Doreen

Raven
Thu, Sep-27-01, 23:53
Thanks Doreen! Sounds great. So is this stuff suposedly safer than Splenda?

Silly ole' FDA.http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/flags/usa.gif

Karen
Thu, Sep-27-01, 23:53
...and has half the carbs of Splenda, since it requires less maltodextrin to bulk it up.

I learn something new everyday! Just started to use it recently and assumed the count was the same.

So it's really half?

Karen

doreen T
Fri, Sep-28-01, 00:24
Karen - the packets of Sugar Twin = 0.5g carbs per, Splenda is 1g per. (equivalent to 2 tsp sugar in sweetness). The bulk ST and brown ST are 0.25g carb per teaspoon (Splenda is 0.5g) .. the liquid is zero, and the little tablets are 0.02g carb each.

Raven - if you read the article I gave the link to ... it'll explain some of the controversy. Cyclamate was a popular sweetener in the late 60's ... a big improvement over saccharine, which is still kickin' around too. Anyway, some rats were injected with 500 times what any human would normally consume .. and they developed bladder cancer. So, it was banned. But the ban was lifted after 5 yrs in Canada and in Europe, after studies on humans showed no risk. In over 30 years, there has been no documented side effect or risk to humans. Of course there will be some persons with sensitivity reactions etc ... but the track record for cyclamate is pristine next to aspartame! I think it tastes better too, and is less expensive to produce.

I look at it this way ... the risk to my health from my obesity is greater than the risk that I might get rat cancer ;) ... moderation is key. I hardly use sweeteners anyway, but it's nice to have a choice.

There's always stevia, a herbal extract with a sweet taste. Of course, like any plant there's the risk of allergy to it, and the Eades (Protein Power) caution that it can cause an insulin spike, even though it has no calories or carbs ... so they recommend avoiding it.

Doreen

Sharon
Fri, Sep-28-01, 05:19
Nat, I can find sugar twin almost anywhere you'd look here. It's in grocery stores, Walmart, and Drug Stores.

I'm not sure about your question about finding it online and perhaps you have a reason for that, but I'm sure you must have it your way, if I do in my little City.

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-28-01, 06:36
I wasnt asking for myself, Sharon :) I have tonnes o sugar twin (liquid, white, and brown) It was a question someone from the US asked me about.

Thx for the link Doreen.

Nat

Karen
Fri, Sep-28-01, 10:30
The bulk ST and brown ST are 0.25g carb per teaspoon

Cool! Now I can change the carb counts in my dessert recipes...not that it matters to me with the way I react! ;)

Karen