PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all. I'm new to this forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

purplegina
Wed, Oct-13-04, 09:01
Hi. My name is Gina. I have recently started on the Atkins diet. August of 2004. This is the second time that I have tried it. Since the 20th of August I have gone from 196 pounds down to 185. I am still in the induction phase of the diet. This is the second time that I have tried this diet plan. I had some success the last time around which was in 2002. I lost about 25 pounds but I started having irregular periods and it scared me so I stopped the Atkins plan. I wasn't sure if it was because of the diet or not. All I know is that after I went off the diet my periods went back to normal. I am 43. I decided to try the diet once again. I have been on it now for almost 3 weeks and again I am having an irregular period. My normal cycle was just two weeks ago. I am wondering if all the protein that I am eating is causing this? Should I stay on the diet and maybe my body will become accustomed to it and go back to normal by itself or am I going to have to deal with this as long as I am on the diet? Has anyone else out there had similar experiences? Please let me know. The low carb lifestyle works and I don't want to stop it unless I have to. Please advise.

Thanks.

Kristine
Wed, Oct-13-04, 09:54
Hi. :wave:

It's unusual for periods to become irregular from low carbing - it's usually the other way around. People with abnormal cycles tend to find relief.

From what I understand, it's not protein intake per se that affects cycles, it's insulin. Insulin is sort of the master hormone, and regulates production of the other hormones.

Are you on any artificial hormones (birth control, etc)? Do you eat a lot of soy? Are you taking the proper supplements, ie omega 3s and magnesium in particular? They can affect your cycle.

Another thought: rapid weight loss from any type of dieting can cause estrogen release because estrogen tends to be stored in the fat tissue. This can be disruptive to your cycle.

I hope you figure it out. :thup: In the meantime, I'd move on to OWL to be sure you're getting proper nutrition. Be sure to take those supplements, too. :thup:

toofattoo
Wed, Oct-13-04, 11:05
Hi :wave: and welcome to the forum. Peg

purplegina
Wed, Oct-13-04, 11:06
Thanks for writing so quickly. I have not been taking the supplements. Just a one a day vitamin that I take anyway. I did the same thing last time. Maybe that is indeed the problem. I will be getting the suggested supplements. Thanks. :idea:

treefrog
Wed, Oct-13-04, 11:21
You should try doing a search in the newbie question section and in the health section of this forum. I remember reading a lot of posts about women having irregular periods after starting LC. Most of them seem to have settled down after a while, if that makes you feel any better. You could always ask your doctor about it. It may or may not be a problem. I am on the pill, and the day that my period comes each month changed just slightly after I started LC. It is now the same every month, even though it is different than it was before LC.

4beans4me
Wed, Oct-13-04, 15:13
Hello and welcome Gina! :wave: Best of luck!

angeljandy
Wed, Oct-13-04, 15:51
Hi Gina...Welcome and good luck with your program!
PS...My TOM regulated wehn I started LCing.