PDA

View Full Version : Lola`s Low(er) Carb Protein Bars!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dogbone1
Sun, Oct-10-04, 12:21
I wanted a protein bar that tasted like something between a Luna Bar and an Oatmeal Cookie, but still had a decent amount of protein, and not a lot of fat...This is what I came up with, and it`s YUUUUMMMMM!!

One note of caution: keep an eye on it while it bakes because soy flour is already "cooked" and thus burns pretty quickly.

Yummy Protein Bars:
Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup splenda
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup soy flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup protein powder (I used chocolate, but any flavor should be ok)
3/4 Dry TVT (Textured Vegetable Protein)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Mix ¼ cup butter w/ ½ cup splenda and ¼ cup applesauce till creamed.

Add 1 cup oats, 1 cup soy flour, 1/2 cup protien powder (I used chocolate Muscle Provider, but I think you could use whatever...), nuts and ¾ cup TVT. Add another ¼ cup applesauce and 1 tsp vanilla.

Mix it all up-- it will be crumbly but should sort of stick together like super dense sticky oatmeal.

Press into 9 x 13 baking pan (lightly greased) and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Cut into 12 bars or squares.

Nutrition Info: (approximate values per bar)

14 g. protein per square
210 calories
10 grams fat
13 grams carbs
`

dogbone1
Sun, Oct-10-04, 12:26
Btw, this is gonna be really good for breakfast since it will keep all week long!

clk
Mon, Oct-11-04, 11:01
Hi. I was wondering if you subtracted the grams of fiber to get the net carb count per bar.

Cherie in Montreal.

dogbone1
Tue, Oct-12-04, 10:43
Hi Cherie-
Yes, I did subtract the fiber content. On review of the recipe, for those who would like to decrease the carb content even more, I think that the oats could be decreased to 1/2 cup and replaced with more TVT. In addition, you could probably also replace some of the applesauce with more butter.

-DB