PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks junkie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

spierre
Sun, Oct-03-04, 17:44
Hi there,
I opened an account on this website two years ago, and see that I've gained 6 pounds since then. :mad: Maybe if I make myself post, I'll be more motivated to follow a low carb plan consistently. I've read and tried most of the big ones, but am just now reading the Carbohydrate Addicts' Diet for the first time and will give it a try starting tomorrow. I would like to lose around 20 pounds. I'm not overweight by health standards, but I can barely squeeze into my clothes anymore and refuse to buy new ones, which means I've been wearing the same pair of sweat pants all summer long (and boy could they use a washing! ;) ).

The most difficult thing for me, I suspect, will be giving up Starbucks. I know, it's pathetic, but I look forward to my daily mocha like you wouldn't believe. I think I have been drinking chocolate milk in one form or another since very early childhood, and it has a lot of psychological connotations for me. I clearly remember my very first cafe mocha, freshman year of college, and what a rush I got off it. I've been hooked on them ever since. Since Starbucks is raising their prices Oct. 6, this is as good a time as any to break the habit. (I was going to insert a smiley indicating fear here, but there doesn't appear to be one...)

Will77
Sun, Oct-03-04, 19:31
Spierre,

I shared the same addiction. While I haven't found a LC chocolate powder or syrup to add to the LC milk, I've found that regular latte's do the trick for me. I do have an espresso machine at home which would make it kind of tough if you didn't.

I use Hood 2% Low Carb milk. I steam it, add the espresso, and a couple of packs of splenda. I find it yummy with the same "pick me up" and less of a crash than I received from the mochas due to the sugar. Hood does have chocolate milk, but I've never tried it because of the rants I've read here about it. It might not be so bad steamed with espresso.

Maybe they'd let you bring in your own milk to be steamed? Worth asking I think.

spierre
Mon, Oct-04-04, 08:12
Thanks for the tips, Will. Unfortunately, the first two weeks of CAD are like the induction period of Atkins, with no mid-meal snacks allowed, so I'll have to wait at least 2 weeks before experimenting with low-carb mochas. Ack!

Will77
Tue, Oct-05-04, 12:23
Ack :( You can do it. I need to kick my caffeine habit too - just have smoking ahead of that one on the list of to do's.

Good Luck!

angeljandy
Tue, Oct-05-04, 16:44
Welcome back to the site and good luck with your program!

eeek1970
Wed, Oct-06-04, 10:28
I live in Seattle so coffee is life here. I found that at most good places (Starbucks, Seattle's Best & Tully's) I can order an Americano (sp) and add Splenda and ask for heavy cream in it. I know it's not a mocha but it is still good. Oh and much cheaper...usually around $2 for a large.

lvjaybe
Thu, Oct-07-04, 00:43
I am also in Seattle area and coffee is a way of life here! LOL :lol: I openly admit to being a major Starbucks snob...it's my drug of choice....HOWEVER...I am willing to give up anything that will prevent me from healing my body and being happy with my physical appearence! :thup: I wish you all luck and let me know if you find a great recipe for coffee that is 'allowed'!!!!! :yum:

Jamie :D

nikkil
Thu, Oct-07-04, 04:52
I used to be a Starbucks frap junkie - I had a grande with a shot of espresso almost every single day :o

Now, when I go to Starbucks I get the coffee of the day with sf vanilla syrup and ask for their pourable whipping cream and they give me the carton and I pour what I want in there, add a packet of splenda and I'm done. A cold drink is the (can't remember the name) but it's just coffee over ice and I get them to make it the same way as above. I only have this about 1 x per month (amazing that I can say that!).

MOCHA at home: I make a mocha for myself every morning - try this and see if you like it...

brew a mug of coffee then add 1 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (it's 0.3g net carbs per teaspoon) and 2 tbsp of heavy whipping cream and some Da Vinci sf chocolate syrup (or powdered splenda if you have to - it adds carbs, tho). This is excellent for sweet cravings and I have one if I'm really wanting something low carb and sweet and chocolaty. Sometimes I splurge with more whip and cocoa :p

MissScruff
Sat, Oct-09-04, 12:09
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif

I gave up Latte's and do miss them sometimes!