PDA

View Full Version : Confused Newbie to forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LisaLoser
Sat, Oct-02-04, 07:41
Hi Everyone!

I have been Low Carbing since spring of 2001 (245 lbs). By Christmas 2002, I had lost 45 lbs (200lbs) !! Unfortunately, just about that very time my husband left me and three kids. I kept most of the weight off in 2003 but this year my weight has started to creep up(213 lbs).

I blame it mostly on stress. I run a small business, raise three kids who attend a charter school, I am active with my church and I am in school taking courses to get into nursing school. I am also diagnosed (2 doctors opinions - not a self-diagnosis!) as having mild ADD. I do not have insurance currently and cannot afford the meds (which do help).

Having to go the "natural" remedies route for my ADD - most all sources recommend a low carb diet for ADD as well as regular exercise. I love low carbing - I have much fewer ups and downs emotionally and do not have the hunger like I used to. One of my problems is finding the time to exercise. I know I need it, for the ADD and for stress in my life and for my weight loss - but between kids, business, homework for me and kids, there seems to be little time! I end up trying to exercise in bed and I fall asleep counting LOL

Here is my confusion...One of the courses I am taking is Nutrition. In the nutrition class obviously we talk about the Carbohydrates. The textbook tells me our body needs carbs for our brain to function. That protein energy is not an effective energy source and is hard on our kidneys and That fat burning "ketosis" is an unhealthy state. On the plus side, They do say that fiber is very important to keep the muscle tone in the intestines and is mostly indigestable.

The former information directly contradicts Atkins and the holistic ADD medical sites.
I know Atkins worked for me, I know how good I feel low carbing but I am worried about my weight creeping up at this time. I also had a UTI after a year of low carbing (which I had never had before) and made me worry about the kidney reference. I do drink tons of water...usually in the form of seltzer(no sodium).

I did a dietary analysis, and my dietary fats are thru the roof and as a result, calories as well. I am going to try to reduce them - but the nutrition instructor pointed out that if you reduce carbs, you are going to naturally increase fats.

BTW - what is it with the price of strawberries??? 3.49 for a little box!! They must be trying to cash in on the low carb craze like everyone else!

Thanks for the site!

MISSRED197
Sat, Oct-02-04, 07:45
Hi and welcome to the forum!!!

Do some browsing, there are sections on health related issues
(really there are sections on just about everything :lol: )

:cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer:

You are in the right place for support and motivation!!!

Best of luck!!!

Hugs~

tofi
Sat, Oct-02-04, 07:57
Ketosis is NOT the same as ketoacidosis which is a dangerous condition FOR A DIABETIC. This is a result of BLOOD SUGARS being out of control. Someone in ketosis has VERY STABLE blood glucose readings.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49711&highlight=ketosis+AND+ketoacidosis

The brain very happily uses ketones for fuel and health researchers have found that the heart PREFERS ketones for fuel. And ketones may even protect the brain from some factors. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50377&highlight=ketones+AND+fuel

NWatson
Sat, Oct-02-04, 09:19
I think you have to look at when your textbooks were published and by whom they were written. Though it's been proven time and again that the low carb way of life is good for you all the way around, there will ALWAYS be people that don't think it's healthy and try to disprove it.

JMO. :)

Nonnie

Cara73
Sat, Oct-02-04, 12:01
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

I think you'll find this forum very helpful and informative. And the support you'll get here can't be beat!!!

Best of luck to you :)

MissScruff
Sat, Oct-02-04, 12:17
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif

One thing I learned in college, I have a BS in Interdisciplinary Studies, is that not everything they teach you is true! A lot of times people state theories in these books and yet so many accept them as gospel! If you really look at the Atkins lifestyle then you will see that it is actually healthy for you! Why? Because you are eating from the groups of foods required to keep us healthy! Now, at first some of those foods are not allowed and that is ok as long as it is only at first! Now, if one eats all that manufactured stuff then to me that is a problem because the body just wasn't equiped to handle artificial stuff in such high quantities. Since going on Atkins I have discovered the horror of what I was and wasn't putting into my body and will never go back to that! EVER! I had gotten to where I was making cakes and such from scratch anyhow because whenever we bought bakery cakes for birthdays and holidays they would make just about all of us sick! The after taste was terrible! Then I changed us from microwave popcorn and margarine to air popped and real butter. I just can't imagine going back! I even think I am to the place where I can actually give up soda! I had a glass last night and it tasted like spoiled prune jiuce. YUCK! So, now I need to find something to replace that in my snow cone! Someday I can use real juice! I do know I want to eventually buy a juicer because the overpriced juice one buys in the store isn't hardly juice! Just so much to consider! Just ask yourself how eating as close as one can to natural can be bad for you? You and I both know that low carbing works so don't be sidetracked by those that feel threatened by it! Good luck!