PDA

View Full Version : Advise for a new person

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tia428
Fri, Oct-01-04, 08:51
Hello everyone,

I am starting Protein Power monday, does anyone have any advise for my first two weeks, I have heard they are the hardest!!!!

Any suggestions on snacks also.

Rachelle
Fri, Oct-01-04, 08:53
Welcome to the board.. i am on the atkin's plan so not much advice to give on your plan.. but i would recommend lots of water.. and make sure to just stick with it.. you might get the "induction" type headaches.. and asprine will help...

Good Luck and Welcome! :)

angeljandy
Fri, Oct-01-04, 18:40
I'm on Atkins too but I just wanted to say HI!

lpioch
Fri, Oct-01-04, 20:13
I started off with Protein Power too...back in 1997. I've modified it right now for being post-pregnancy and nursing...but that's another story.

The main difference between Protein Power and Atkins (you'll see a LOT of posters here doing Atkins...and you'll see a LOT about 20g of carb/day) is that Protein Power's first level allows 40 grams of carbs a day (originally it was 30 - 3 meals no more than 10 each meal...but then they added a 4th meal, so it depends on the book you read).

That's DOUBLE what Atkins allows the first 2 weeks of induction.

HOWEVER...you may still have the same side effects...I know I did.

If you can make it past the first week, you'll be golden. Expect the worst, and be pleasantly surprised if it's not so bad. :-)

As for advice, think a LOT about what foods you'd like to eat...research the effective carb content of EVERYTHING. Throw EVERYTHING out of your house that would even POSSIBLY tempt you, and go shopping Sunday to stock up on all types of lowcarb-friendly foods.

Ideas?
* Lots of salad stuff - romain, iceberg, any lettuces, celery, RANCH dressing, shredded cheddar
* Stock up on frozen broccoli spears (taste yummy with butter or melted cheese!) and frozen cauliflower and frozen green beans. It's so quick to microwave them, and you can add all the yummy stuff to them to make them so tasty!
* If you're still in season where you are, grab some strawberries before they're gone for the season! They're quite low carb.
* Lots of meats. I like getting pounds of ham and turkey (watch the carb content!) at the deli counter.
* Cream cheese. My favorite quick snack is still a ham/turkey roll-up - take the ham/turkey, line it with cream cheese and romaine lettuce and roll it up.
* Cheeses...they make a great snack too, and the fat content makes you fill up quickly
* Nuts - like pecans, macadamian nuts, almonds, pistachios
* Eggs and bacon and sausage. (hint...cream cheese added to <just> scrambled eggs is great!)
* Also, if you don't know how to cook yet, you'll learn! I recommend getting a lowcarb cookbook that you like because just trying to do something with chicken/beef/fish on your own can get dull. My current favorite is Dana Carpender's 15 Minute Low Carb meals. But I've been cooking for quite awhile...don't know if you'd think some of the ingredients are too weird. They are staples in my home now. :-)

With 10 effective carbs to spend PER MEAL, you can do more than Atkins Inductioners can. So have fun!

*** note...you'll see many people say that dairy and nuts stall them. I wouldn't worry about that when you first start the diet. But maybe some months into it, you may notice that you are sensitive to them...and then you may not. Don't limit unless you have a reason to believe you should

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing!
-- Loretta Pioch

4beans4me
Fri, Oct-01-04, 20:18
Hello and welcome! :wave: Best of lucK!

MISSRED197
Sat, Oct-02-04, 07:30
Hi and welcome to the forum!!!

:cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer:

You are in the right place for support and motivation!!!

Best of luck!!!

Hugs~

MissScruff
Sat, Oct-02-04, 12:30
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif