PDA

View Full Version : New and have questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

thelukeone
Tue, Sep-28-04, 17:49
Hello,

I am just starting LC today. I have been doing calorie counting since August 1 and have lost 20lbs. I have not lost any weight for about 3 weeks. I deceided to give this a try (I have several friends who do this and love it). I have done this LC twice before and I became ill after 4 days, I then quit. I see the success people have and I did enjoy the food before so I thought I would try again. Has anyone else ever became sick after a few days of this? Any help would be appreicated! :D

Built
Tue, Sep-28-04, 18:10
I got ill the first DAY, but it went away after a couple of days and never came back. Tough it out, drink lots of water, have a nice salad and some l/c veggies with a few of your meals and you'll be fine.

tofi
Tue, Sep-28-04, 18:48
It depends what kind of sick you might mean.

If you got achy and felt as though you had the flu, that is pretty normal for going right down to Atkins Induction level of about 20 grams of carbs per day. You could probably avoid that by cutting the carbs gradually or keeping to about 35-50 grams a day.

Headache could be part of the above, or from cutting out caffeine suddenly. Wean yourself off the caffeine by using part decaff when you make coffee. And take some Tylenol.

If you got weak, tired and dizzy, that is also pretty normal. YOu could eat a higher level of carbs, and add some "No Salt" salt substitute for the potassium you are losing. IF YOU TAKE ACE INHIBITORS FOR HIGH BP, DO NOT TAKE EXTRA POTASSIUM.

If you are on blood pressure medication, you might need to get checked by your doctor as this diet is a diuretic & the fluid loss drops BP right at the start.

If you feel sick at your stomach, then perhaps the carb level is too low or you need to ease into this way of eating.

I hope this time on LC will be successful for you. But stalls or weeks without losing are normal on any diet and we just have to stick with the plan and live through it. All the best.

MissScruff
Wed, Sep-29-04, 00:31
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif

4beans4me
Wed, Sep-29-04, 06:57
Hello and welcome! :wave:

angeljandy
Wed, Sep-29-04, 07:29
Absolutely...you're body undergoes many changes so drink lots of water to help combat the eliminatiion of toxins from your system.

MISSRED197
Wed, Sep-29-04, 09:07
Hi & welcome to the forum!!

:Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party:

You are in the right place for support and motivation!!!

Best of luck!!

Hugs~

thelukeone
Wed, Sep-29-04, 10:04
Thanks for all the help. So far so good. I am looking for a lc creamer for my coffee. Any suggestions?

4beans4me
Wed, Sep-29-04, 10:31
Heavy cream or half and half are your best choices. :thup:

Audrey49
Wed, Sep-29-04, 11:39
Hi
I am doing the south beach diet also ,however, I didn't get sick nor headaches.Just a bit hungry to began with.I did decide to eat my popcorn and not let this take me over.I am on my 3rd week and am loosing wt. so stick with and try your best.Just visit me in my journal anytime I would like to know how your doing .Keep me abreast.thanks audrey

ArkyMom
Wed, Sep-29-04, 13:42
Hello and welcome! The getting sick seems to be a normal part of this diet. I find that I get sick to my stomach if I don't get enough to eat.

There are times when I go more than 12 hours without eating because I work 3rd shift. I'll eat sometime aroundn 1am then when I get home at 5, I go to bed andn often don't get up till around 1 or 2. This really wears on me tho, and I wake up so hungry that I'm sick!

Hope it works for ya!

Michelle