PDA

View Full Version : New To This

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

donnarae
Sun, Sep-26-04, 11:23
undefined I am a 51 year old woman and I have absolutlet no idea of where to start on this low carb diet, and in fact, my cupboard and refrigerator is not stocked for it. I plan to do that as soon as I get a book on how to do this. I was in hospital about 4 years ago. Was close to death, but God had other plans for me. I had to be fed through a tube in my stomache and weighed about 114. I think I went hog wild when I came home and was allowed to eat again. Now I must fact the fat. I have tried Weight Watchers and other things, but I think my metabloism is so slow now, I am ready to try anythings. I have heard such good success stories about the low carb diet, so I thought I would try it. There is a program on Food Network (Low Carb and Loving It) so I know there are good recipes out there, just have to learn (or maybe should say "re-learn) how to cook them. It is scarey for me. I am going through a divorce now and don't have to worry about someone "sabatoging" my meal plans. Wish I had a "fat buddy" to talk about this. Maybe I will find someone on here. Glad to be here and will let you all know how it is going.

Allikins
Sun, Sep-26-04, 13:57
Welcome to the boards. This is a great place to find "buddies" and someone is almost always around to give advice or support. First thing I suggest is find a plan that suits you (there are many LC plans but they seem to have mostly the same basic ideas), buy the book and read it through. Then of course you will have to purge the cupboards and refrigerator. Rid your pantry of all those temptations and replace them with healthy legal foods. It's not so scarey once you've read your plan and understand why LCing works.

I wish you lots of success. Enjoy your new journey.
Allison

OrthoGal
Sun, Sep-26-04, 14:20
I agree with Allison, buy a book and read it...that is the best way to know what to do and what to follow. There are many plans out there..so just find one that works for you. This board is a great place to get advice and recipes..so use them alot..
Laura

4biddenEve
Sun, Sep-26-04, 17:23
I agree with both allikins and ortho girl. THe best way is to choose a diet you want to follow and get the book. Without knowledge we cannot start any plan. That will give you a chance to get rid of the no no foods you may have.
I am doing Atkins, but you may want to look into the other plans and see which one you like best. Good luck and welcome!

MissScruff
Sun, Sep-26-04, 17:48
http://teacher2k.com/hello-tag01.gif

You don't have to wait to read the book! Go to www.atkins.com and you will find a wealth of information at this official Atkins site! That is where I started and I am still reading the book! Between that site and this forum you will really find all you need. I am about 1/4 of the way through the book and it is mostly success stories, but this site is full of those! So, don't wait until you have bought the book and are done reading it! Start now after going to the Atkins site and seeing what you can eat during the 14 day Induction! Then continue to research during those 14 days! I will post the info I have for Induction and OWL into my Journal later tonight so you can read that (I got it from the Atkins site). One book I recommend is called "Dr. Atkin's New Carbohydrate Gram Counter." I love it! It tells me about portions and carbs. I highlighted in yellow everything I could have during Induction in yellow and in green for OWL. I also write in stuff that I eat and is allowed but isn't in the book! It is small and can be kept in your purse. Hope I have been of help. And I love the low carb show on Food Network also! Wish they had more. The family's story is inspiring!

Monika4
Sun, Sep-26-04, 18:28
I think you need to narrow down the search before you buy 10 books!

go to the top of the page on which you are reading this, and click plans, then comparison of low carb plans. Read the summaries of the different plans. You will get a good idea what the differences are, and if one plan sounds good based on that, go to the special forum and read about it here - if it is a major plan. If it still sounds good, buy the book and read it.

There are also in this forum some discussion comparing Atkins to South Beach, e.g. at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=207556
if you are unsure between two plans, put the two words in a search, and you will find threads where people compare them - e.g. carb addicts and protein power, or Atkins south beach.

Generally, the plan should sound like something you can live with for the rest of your life, not like something you can bare tolerating for a few months. It has to feel right for YOU.

angeljandy
Sun, Sep-26-04, 18:31
Welcome, so glad you can join us. Yes, definitely pick a low carb program and get the book and read it carefully. Good luck with your program. I love LCing, hopefully you will too!

4beans4me
Sun, Sep-26-04, 19:49
Hello and welcome! :wave:

MISSRED197
Mon, Sep-27-04, 07:09
Hi & welcome to the forum!!!!

:cheer: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :Party: :cheer: :Party: :cheer:

You are in the right place for support and motivation!!!

Best of luck!!!

Hugs~