PDA

View Full Version : Allow me to introduce myself....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

amieK
Sat, Sep-22-01, 10:14
Here's the skinny on me:

Age 37, married, 3 children, home-maker, part-time student, recovering vegetarian

Height 5' 4", weight 139, smallish medium frame, goal 126 lbs

Weight loss history:
Started Weight Watchers April 99 @ 179.2 lbs lost 50 lbs by end of October 99, reached my then-goal of 124 February 2000.
Fell into a depression, stopped exercising regularly and began to gain weight. Got fed up with WW summer 2000 and began flirting with vegetarianism again. When, oh when will I learn?

Had gained back 18 lbs by end of autumn 2000. Have been yo-yoing 140 - 146 lbs since November 2000 with the occasional brief foray into the high 130's.

I started LC about 2 months ago doing Carb Addicts, but now I am following the Schwarzbein Principle which allows a bit more carbs but in calculated amounts appropriate to metabolism and activity level. Carbs are to be real (ie vegies, fruit, whole grains) not man-made (ie bread, baked goods). And carbs are to be eaten with protein always. I need to carefully restrict my fruit intake to 1 or 2 servings per day. I try to go for the lower glycemic ones like berries. I've found through trial and error that I need a certain amount of carbs to keep my serotonin levels even or I get migraines. Sufficient sleep is essential too.

I've been walking regularly, usually at least 4X per week, for the past 2 years, although I did slack off during my depression period, I didn't completely give it up. My current challenge is trying to incorporate strength training on a consistent basis. My body just loves weight training but I find it really challenging to fit it in. I also want to work in a couple of yoga sessions per week to maintain flexibility. So I've been experimenting with doing the strength training and stretching together.

And for the past 2 years I have been a student of Middle Eastern dance, commonly known as belly-dancing. It is one of my passions! I just started an 8 week set of classes with a new teacher. I had so much fun. I felt the stresses of the week just fall away. Just shake, shake, shake them troubles away!

And that's it for now. I look forward to being a more active participant on this forum. Happy LCing to you! :)

debbiedobson
Sat, Sep-22-01, 11:14
welcome aboard amie!:wave: you seem to have a real understanding of your eating plan! that's great! you also seem to have a good grip on exercising! keep up the good work!

i have a really short resistance training routine that i do 3 times a week. it only takes about 15 minutes and works all the major muscle groups. if you want my to explain it to you, you can private message me by clicking on my profile and then my private message.

Karen
Sat, Sep-22-01, 13:00
Welcome to lowcarb.ca amie!

Congratulations on figuring out that LC is the right way of life for you. :D

debbie, why don't you post your workout so all can benefit from it?

Karen

r.mines
Sat, Sep-22-01, 17:01
Originally posted by Karen
debbie, why don't you post your workout so all can benefit from it?

Hear, hear!

Welcome to the board, Amie, lots of good info and support here! Keep us posted on your progress!

Rachel

Raven
Sat, Sep-22-01, 18:53
Hey there Amie!

Glad you found this forum. I just love this place - so many friendly knowledgable people. I'm sure you'll find it a wonderful place for advice, problem-solving and inspiration.

I've had problems with depression myself, and that probably has a good deal to do with my inability to lose weight, or my tendency to gain it. Since I've started this WOL I haven't shown any signs of going back down that road. On the contrary, I've never been happier or more full of energy.

I love the resistance training too. I do just a 30 minute workout 3 times a week to a video tape and toning cords. I just LOVE seeing my muscles get firmer and more defined.

Happy low-carbing to you and here's to many happy healthy slender days ahead!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/band.gifhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/cowdance.gif

amieK
Sun, Sep-23-01, 06:39
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

Raven - I was especially mooved by the dancing cow and happy face band! :lol:

Raven
Sun, Sep-23-01, 19:57
Hehe, that's Connie the Low-Carb Cow and the carbettes doing her happy dance

amieK
Mon, Sep-24-01, 09:55
Oh, I get it, instead of eating those high-carb bananas, she makes em into a skirt and does the cha-cha.

Interesting idea..... :D