PDA

View Full Version : CFS symptoms

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ex_vegan
Thu, Sep-23-04, 20:40
I do not mean to be annoying by posting such a strange thread here. I found out yesterday that my mother was diagnosed with CFS a few years ago. She ha never told me but now I can see why she was the way she was. I have been feeling horrible for the past three months. I have been to three doctors who say that while my glands are swollen I must be making the rest up.
swollen lymphnodes
reoccuring respiratory infections
chronic nasal drip
weight gain (partially my fault, partially an anti-depressants fault
Extreme exhaustion (so bad at one point all I could do was lay in bed....I did WANT to get up but I felt like I couldn't)
I went from being incredibly in shape to not being able to get through a workout
vision and headache problems
bone pain (this is so weird I do not know how to describe it)
muscle pain (even when I do nothing)
foggy brain that will not focus
cravings for sugar that are abnormally strong
digestion problems

I do not know that much about CFS, FM, or other diseases like them. I was just wondering if it sounds like I should try and see a doctor that specializes in those diseases. And for the record I do not drink, smoke, use any drugs, and I have never had sex or used other people's needles. I cannot figure out why I feel so bad.

quietone
Fri, Sep-24-04, 08:21
Boy, it sure does sound like you have one or the other. My first thought would be CFS because I don't know if you get the swollen glands with FM.

A rheumatologist is who you need to see to get a correct diagnosis. Also, if you go to the fibromyalgia network http://www.fmnetnews.com it would help you get a handle on your symptoms for your appointment.

I can tell you that the first thing every doctor does (or so it seems) if diagnosed is try to put you on an anti-depressant.

I didn't look to see how long you have been doing low carb, but my experience is it helps tremendously with the physical symptoms of FM.

jimsbride
Sun, Oct-17-04, 13:19
I totally agree with quietone! Sounds like you do need to see a doc and they do try to put you on anti-depressants. BEWARE!!! They want to diagnose it to be everything than what it is! I have been a guini pig in my area and have been put on every medication out there. Including seizure medicine!!! Finally, I said enough was enough (taking a handful of pills 3x a day) and just quit them all and started treating the symptoms. My quality of life improved immediately and drastically. I still treat the pain and anxiety from the fatique, but things I do or don't do is more helpful than any meds I have taken.

If you want to talk, I am here. It is a horrible feeling and you described me to a T. However, the good news is that I am beating it and living a pretty good quality of life right now. I do have bad days, but not bad YEARS like I use to.

PS. Do research in your area to find a doc that even believes in CFS/FM many of them don't!

moondanzr
Wed, Oct-20-04, 20:36
Hi,
I agree with what the other 2 people had to say. It sounds to me like you may have both CFS and FMS. Don't get discouraged! I have been dealing with it for 11 + years and altho the syptoms wax and wane I am better.
You sound like you may be in the onset and that is truly the worse time. I totally agree with jim'sbride. Make sure you see a doc that believes in these sydromes and walk out if someone is telling you it's all in your head!
Research...research...research...that is one of the best things to do for you. Some areas have support groups and if not there are always online support groups. You are not alone. Fell free to stop at my journal if you want to talk. I wish you good luck and God bless you.
Nancy