PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Tortilless Soup

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CheriYM
Tue, Sep-21-04, 00:26
Chicken Tortilless Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cans chicken broth (4 cups)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 can rotel (tomatoes & chilies)
1 bottle lite beer
8 oz brick of cream cheese cut into chunks
3 cups diced chicken (you can use raw or leftovers)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)

In a large pot, saute garlic, onions, celery and cumin in oil and butter until softened. Add peppers, broth, cream, rotel, and beer and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add cream cheese, chicken and half the cilantro and simmer another 20 minutes. Garnish with remaining cilantro, fresh avocado chunks, and/or sour cream. Makes 6 servings.

456 calories/ 30.5g fat/ 32g protein/ 1g fiber/ 9 net carbs(10) per serving

Yaberhoo
Thu, Sep-23-04, 14:50
This sounds fabulous! I am going to make it for dinner tomorrow night.:yum:

Rita

Yaberhoo
Sat, Oct-23-04, 23:41
Alright, I tried this recipe weeks ago and forgot to come back and post my results.

This recipe is fabulous! :yum:

I have since made it two more times and it just gets better. Thank you! It is now a staple in my home.

Rita

fairphire
Mon, Nov-01-04, 15:59
OMG! I came in here looking for just this kind of recipe!!! i will definitly have to try and make it! I want to make it sooooo bad now!

Magicbyrd
Tue, Nov-16-04, 15:46
I made this in a crock pot today at noon and looking forward to trying it tonight. I used a cajun chicken breast as my chicken. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Magicbyrd
Tue, Nov-23-04, 09:57
This turned out excellent...good thing because it made lots of it. The cajun chicken breast I used made a nice added flavor.

CheriYM
Tue, Nov-22-05, 20:28
I think I'm gonna try this recipe with leftover turkey . . .

WyoDiva
Thu, Nov-29-07, 11:05
I made this with leftover turkey, left out the beer and celery, added chicken broth and more spices to 'heat' it up. It was wonderful...and my DD and DH loved it and are begging for more!!! ;)

Oh, I did make it in my crockpot...so we got to smell it cooking all day!

pengu1
Thu, Nov-29-07, 11:27
I have a similar recipe, I'll give this one a try though since I am always willing to try something different.

I would suggest adding some grated cheese to the soup bowl before adding the sour creme and the cilantro. It's GOOD.

:)

Hismouse
Mon, Jan-07-08, 17:16
I just wrote this down, it sounds wonderful, a great time for soup, its winter and pouring rain, thank u,

Iowagirl
Wed, Feb-06-08, 13:14
Perfect day for soup! I am snowed in and playing happy homemaker. :)

I did put the chicken in with the onions and peppers, prior to adding the broth. Not crazy about adding raw chicken to cook in the soup.

Iowagirl
Thu, Feb-07-08, 08:15
YUM!
This didn't seem to have enough veggies for me so I added a bag of an Italian blend - squash, green beans, more peppers. Very tasty. Thanks for posting!

Nancy LC
Thu, Feb-07-08, 10:56
Not crazy about adding raw chicken to cook in the soup.

Why? Once it gets to 165 degrees any beasties are killed.

Iowagirl
Thu, Feb-07-08, 11:40
I think the flavor is better when it is sauteed with the veggies, plus then I know it is cooked all the way through.

pengu1
Thu, Feb-07-08, 13:47
Bacteria is good to eat, they are low in carbs.

"D

Iowagirl
Thu, Feb-07-08, 15:33
Really?? Back to the raw egg diet for me. :)

Nancy LC
Thu, Feb-07-08, 16:11
I think the flavor is better when it is sauteed with the veggies, plus then I know it is cooked all the way through.
I always just let it cook for 20 minutes after adding the meat in. At least, this is how I make my curries. A tiny chunk of meat is going to be quite well cooked after that long and if I'm curious I can always fish out a chunk and cut it open.

Sometimes chicken breast gets tough and dry when you overcook it and I always like cutting out additional steps that aren't needed and take too much time.

But your point about sauteeing for flavor is definitely valid. But the bacteria one... I'd disagree with.

RDS
Thu, Feb-07-08, 18:07
Question: Is the beer necessary? And if it is not used, what kind of liquid could it be replaced by? Or does it need to be replaced at all?

Ann1231
Fri, Feb-08-08, 21:47
I made this tonight. All my family liked it! I think next time I will not put nearly as much peppers in it and add a bit more chicken. My husband and son warmed tortillas with butter on the side. I couldn't believe my husband ate two LARGE bowls of it!

Definitely a make again recipe. Thank you!!
Ann