PDA

View Full Version : What a great site!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sunshine 5
Fri, Sep-21-01, 14:56
Hi everybody!
I have just started the Atkin's Plan. I lost a lot a weight on it back in the late 70's, but I have been slowly gaining ever since then. Three pregnancies didn't help. It has been a number of years since I could use that excuse though, so I've decided it is really time to do something about it.
I was so excited to find this site! What a great resource. I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Sharon
Fri, Sep-21-01, 16:09
Hi Sunshine...and what a sunshiny day it is here now in Ontario.

We also look forward to getting to know more about you. There's lots of friendly, knowledgable folks on the forum who will help you every way possible with your journal ahead.

Be sure to read as much information about the plan you're following.

Also, you'll probably get tired of us reminding everyone to drink their water....BUT it's very important. Every time I read a reminder about drinking water...I make it a habit to go and have that extra drink right then.

Post often and let us know how you're doing.

Sharon

doreen T
Fri, Sep-21-01, 16:17
:sunny:

The first diet I ever went on was the original Atkins back in the '70's too!! I was in my teens. Lost weight, felt great .. but then got caught up in the lowFAT thing ... :thdown:

Are you planning to follow the original Diet Revolution?? Some people do choose to do that, and it still works. However, in 1992 (revised in 2000), Dr. Atkins published his New Diet Revolution, which differs somewhat from the old program, in that you are allowed a higher carb level right from the beginning, in the form of vegetables and salads. 20g per day, as opposed to 5g. If you haven't read the New Diet Rev. yet, you might be able to borrow a copy from your library. His decades of work and research in low-carb showed that the same results could be achieved for most people with the higher carb level, and the fiber is beneficial as well.

Looking forward to reading more posts of your lowcarbing success!

Doreen

sharone
Fri, Sep-21-01, 17:21
Hi sunshine

Glad you dropped by. you will see from the site that so many people are finding it so easy and so do-able.

My best advise is plan ahead a little, know what you will eat in advance and you can have it ready when you need it. Don't be in a position where you open the fridge and find nothing to make a meal out of. Anticipate and don't be caught short. I read so many journals of people throwing meals together like 2 eggs and a packet of nuts!!! What's that, we don't eat that way normally. Do we?? Maybe some do. But I have 2 kids and a husband to feed and can't throw that kind of stuff at them. Be good to yourself, enjoy what you eat. That way it's not punishment.

This is the kindest diet I ever did

Raven
Fri, Sep-21-01, 17:41
Hey there Sunshine, glad you found us!

As I'm sure you'll find out, this forum is a wonderful place for advice, problem-solving, ideas and inspiration. Everyone is very helpful and willing and able to help with just about anything.

My two-cents worth of advice for someone just beginning:

1 - Drink your water! Drink water till you float! Plain, fresh, sparkling clear ice cold water. You need to stay hydrated, and water helps to flush out all those impurities and metabolic byproducts that you don't want polluting your body. Also, the more you drink, the less you'll retain.

2 - Don't be a slave to the scale. Measurements are a much better indicator of how you're doing, and using how your clothes fit works too. Many times, because of all of the protein we're eating, (your body uses this protein to build up muscles and tissues) - the scale might show a stall or even a gain when in fact you're losing fat and getting smaller. Also water retention fluxuates for many of us SO much during the month and even over the course of a day that scale measurements can go every which way. If you're one who might get discouraged and sad upon not seeing progress on your scale, then don't use it. I'm using mine no more than once a month and I"m much happier this way.

3 - Remember that this is a way of life...not a diet. Losing weight is not the only goal. That is just one of many side benefits. From time to time assess how you are feeling. Are you full of energy, motivation and joy for life? Are you feeling fantastic without hunger and cravings? If so, you're doing great! That's the whole point in my viewpoint.

4 - Take full advantage of this forum and the tools it provides. Any time you have a problem or concern, or just want to share successes and general feelings about things, feel free to post! Everyone here is very friendly and we all are pretty much on the same page so to speak. It's nice to be able to be totally honest in an atmosphere of such support and non-judgmental advice and help. Post a journal in the journal/bootcamp section and let our resident experts take a look at your food and fluid intake, supplements and exercise. They're really good at spotting potential trouble spots and at offering advice for improvement. Use the carb counter at the top of the page to figure how nutritional info on everything you're eating. I've found it to be most helpful myself.

Well I could go on and on, but I'll stop for now. We're all really glad that you've joined us, and I look forward to hearing from you soon! I know that you're going to do great!

debbiedobson
Sat, Sep-22-01, 11:09
welcome sunshine!:wave: i'm so glad that you found us and your way back to atkins! my doctor put me on atkins in the 70's! it really is the tasties way to eat!

Sunshine 5
Sat, Sep-22-01, 20:37
Today was my first full day and it went great! I'm going to start a journal on the forum tomorrow. I really appreciate all your support! Raven, I thought of you all day today, because I drank so much water I feel like I am going to float away. We just moved from a house with one measly bathroom to a house with three giant luxurious ones, so I guess I will want to visit them alot! See you tomorrow on the journal page.

doreen T
Sat, Sep-22-01, 20:42
.......We just moved from a house with one measly bathroom to a house with three giant luxurious ones, so I guess I will want to visit them alot! AAAaaaacccckkkkk!!!! :eek:

To me, it's a major crisis having to scour ONE toilet!! Egad .... THREE?????

**LOL**

Doreen

Raven
Sun, Sep-23-01, 04:51
Hey there Sunshine!

Glad you're drinking your water!! Floating is good, and having three bathrooms while you do it is even better!!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/fish.gifhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/fish.gifhttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/ruinkai/jarswim1a.gif http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/fish.gifhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/fish.gif