PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Tarah
Fri, Sep-21-01, 09:52
Hey everyone...I need to know if the vitamins that I am taking are good enough...can someone please tell me if they are??

They are called " GNC time released Multivitamins & minerals" They are for women...if these are not good enough..what about "One a day for women?"

Tarah..

p.s. I hope everyone is doing well!!!

doreen T
Fri, Sep-21-01, 23:08
Those multi-vitamin & minerals you have should be fine, a good foundation to work on. It would be wise for you to also take extra Calcium and Magnesium too ... Calcium RDA is 1000 to 1200 mg per day, Magnesium half that. You can buy Cal-Mag together as one pill, and often available in a 2:1 ratio (ie, twice as much calcium as mag) :thup:

Potassium is another important supplement for lowcarbers, since there is increased urine output with ketosis and drinking lots of water ... potassium is excreted in the urine, so it needs to be replaced. You can buy it as a pill, but easiest and least expensive is to use a salt substitute which you can buy at most grocery stores. Check the label, it should contain potassium chloride. YOu use it just as you would regular salt, and it's fine to use in cooking as well. You can buy NoSalt, which is pure potassium, and mix it equal parts with regular table salt. 1/8 tsp of the NoSalt as sold .. provides 325 mg potassium.. :)

Doreen