PDA

View Full Version : Body temerature?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bez
Thu, Sep-20-01, 17:04
:hyper:Help,

Has anyone else experienced a rise in body temperature on LC especially at night?

I thought we were supposed to sleep more easily but ever since I've been on LC I seem to be having problems?...anyone out there with a possible theory or answer even?

Thanks,

Bez

:hyper: :hyper:

P.S. These are not hot flushes!!!...I hope?!

Raven
Thu, Sep-20-01, 17:30
One side effect from ketosis is that you tend to run a hotter furnace so to speak. A lot of us, myself included, have what seems like "hot flashes" sometimes. Just yesterday at school, I was just sitting in class sweating like a pig when everyone else was cold. I haven't noticed any particular time of day it prefers with me, and it only happens maybe 4 times a week and lasts for about 15 minutes or so.

Just one of those thangs! But good thing is that you're burning fat! Bad fat! Burn!!!

nsmith4366
Thu, Sep-20-01, 17:36
I know I'm lowcarbing right when I'm too hot at night, have very colorful complicated and detailed dreams and when I only need 6 hours of sleep. None of these thing bother me though, after 2 years of lowcarbing, I sleep in a light shirt on top of the covers, find the dreams interesting and enjoy not needing 8 hours of sleep.
I hear this happens because protein is somewhat thermogenic of sorts...I don't know the details of it, but if you have stimulated (or wakened) you metabolism through low carbing you will be warmer. Eating carbs cools the body, eating protein warms it - that's why people tend to eat lighter higher carb foods in the summer and tend to lean toward hot meats, and higher protein foods come winter. Something instinctive about it.
Also, the dreams. Lowcarbing does increase serotonin fuction for most people...ketosis does this especially. Serotonin promotes REM sleep, hence, you sleep deeper, dream more/have more interesting/colorful some say dreams and need less sleep overall.
So you are on the right track!!!

:clap:

Bez
Thu, Sep-20-01, 17:43
:wave: Hi Raven and thanks,

I thought it would have something to do with LC as I've never experienced it before, usually my hands and feet are like ice and I'm always cold.

Mick (The Stallion thoroughbred!) says my cold hands and feet are because I don't have a heart and therefore the blood doesn't pump around my body in the same way as anyone elses?!!!...he likes to think he's funny - unfortunately, he is but I can't tell him that!

Anyway, thanks again and I hope I can help you with something one day.

Ta,

Bez

:wiggle: :wiggle:

Raven
Thu, Sep-20-01, 17:48
Mick (The Stallion thoroughbred!) says my cold hands and feet are because I don't have a heart and therefore the blood doesn't pump around my body in the same way as anyone elses?!!!...

Heh.. just tell him it's because you have such a warm heart that there isn't enough for your hands and feet ;)

nsmith4366
Thu, Sep-20-01, 17:58
Tell him now that you have warm hands and feet he better be nice to you! (cold heart ha ha).

Bez
Thu, Sep-20-01, 18:06
:wave: Thanks nsmith,

Thanks for the encouraging news.

Do you have a name, I haven't seen you on here before where did you come from?

I hope the dreams are good?!

and Raven,

I hadn't thought of that one, he comes out with so many things I try to ignore him most of the time. It's worse when he's ambiguous with my mother, sometimes I can't contain myself and other times I just cringe and walk away...he's so subtle about it that it would be easy to miss if you didn't know him and I don't think my ma's cottoned on yet and I hope she never does.

Thanks again both of you.

Bez

:wiggle: :wiggle:

nsmith4366
Thu, Sep-20-01, 18:52
My name is Nancy - I haunt several lowcarb boards. I go through periods of lurking and then periods of participation.
Lately, I've felt very chatty.

Bez
Fri, Sep-21-01, 02:39
:wave: Nancy,

I'm gald you're feeling chatty - great advice.

Thanks again.

Bez

:wave: :wave:

liddle
Fri, Sep-21-01, 04:38
WOW! You guys are just loaded with good info! I was wondering why I was always so HOT!!! Our house has to be set for 72 degrees at night or I just can't sleep. And the dreams, WOW they definitely have gotten more bizarre since LC.
Thanks for the info!!!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Bez
Fri, Sep-21-01, 04:56
Hi Liddle,

How's it going?

Bez

:wave:

Sharon
Fri, Sep-21-01, 05:13
Gosh the gals at work would be glad to hear it lowcarbing that's affecting my dreams!

A couple weeks back I dreamt one of the girls I work with who is forty and has never had children....was pregnant with twins. She thought that was a pretty scary thought.

Not sure if I should tell her it's what I'm eating though....as she's one of these dead again lowcarbing or anyother diet....of course because she hasn't one ounze of fat on her body!! Some things are better left unsaid.

liddle
Fri, Sep-21-01, 06:09
Fine BEZ. Just tried to send you a private message and it said your mail box was full. CLEAR IT OUT ALREADY!!!!!!! :p
Talk later,
Heather
P.S 2 more lbs gone!! WOOO HOOOO!!! :cheer:

Bez
Fri, Sep-21-01, 06:57
Hi Heather and anyone else,

I seem to be having problems with my Private Messaging (at the moment it say's empty - I think I just deleted about 6 if I've done it right?!!!) and well, the 'Contact Us' people are looking in to it for me so I'm sorry anyone if I have not got back to you but I haven't had anything that I know of.

I sent Fiona a Message and have not heard back so if she's around and I haven't answered or anything, that'll be why then!

Bez

:daze: :daze:

liddle
Fri, Sep-21-01, 07:59
I once heard a dream that you or someone you know is pregnant means that they are having a new beginning or adventure in their life. A new job, love, etc. Something fresh and new like a new baby.

Tara
Fri, Sep-21-01, 08:24
I've been warmer too! I used to always be FREEZING, but lately, I've been nice and toasty. Not hot, but quite comfy.

I love this WOL! :D

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-21-01, 08:32
Originally posted by Tara
I've been warmer too! I used to always be FREEZING, but lately, I've been nice and toasty. Not hot, but quite comfy.
I love this WOL! :D

I'm with Tara. I love not being cold all the time. I bet my gas bill this winter will love it too ;)

Nat

rlh
Fri, Sep-21-01, 11:16
hahaha.......i thought it was just me!

my hands and feet were always cold before eating this way but now i notice that me feet are always warm. makes it kinda hard to sleep at night - the only time i feel anywhere near 'normal' (for me)body temp. is after i finish working my overnights. i think that it's just a blood pressure drop from being so tired....

sometimes, when it's really too much to take, i take ice packs to bed wrapped up in dish cloths and put them near my feet if i need to cool off. i'm spending alot of time barefoot these days - even at work (much to the chagrin of my co-workers....lol)

does this body temp. thing even off again eventually?

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-21-01, 11:42
Curiousity sent me out to my favourite search engine, where I found this:

Thermogenesis is the conversion of fat and food to produce heat, and not chemical energy (ATP). This generally results in an increase in body temperature. This corresponds to an increased utilization of calories and as a result, fat loss.

My 2 cents:

I think we've been cold for so long we've come to think of it as normal. Now that our metabolisms are catching up with something more akin to normal, we're not as cold as we used to be; and it feels "abnormal". I imagine if we got used to be cold, we'll adjust to this too.

Nat

Bez
Fri, Sep-21-01, 14:23
:roll: Thanks everyone,

That seems to have helped quite a few of us thanks for all the input everyone.

I wish I just felt toasty, I'm a bit to hot to be comfortable but hopefully this will pass - when I get used to it. It will be a big bonus in the winter and I won't have to wear the layers of clothing I usually do.

Thanks again,

Bez

:wave:

Sharon
Fri, Sep-21-01, 16:20
Here's a link to posts which talk about our private messaging boxes...hope this helps.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6821

Raven
Fri, Sep-21-01, 17:13
The only time I really notice the change in body temperature is when I'm having one of those annoying hot flashes. It seems to come in spurts instead of a nice steady heat all day. I'm not sure if the intensity of these hot flashes lessens with time or not. I suppose time will tell. I do like that fact that increased heat means more fat burning though.

Burn baby burn!