PDA

View Full Version : Carb Count - Include Fibre or not??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Gagalina
Mon, Sep-13-04, 05:48
Hey all,

just wondering, I cant remember where I read it, but in the US you should subtract the fibre count from the carb count to get the real carb count (cause fibre shouldnt be counted).

I think I was browsing through the UK forum ( I cant really remember) and they said that in the UK you should not subtract the fibre count as it was already done so??

What's the story in Ireland?

I thought it was like this

Carbs .............................50 g
of which sugar...............12 g
Fibre...............................5 g

Which means that the fibre is not included in the carb count and you can't subtract it. But if it is written like this:

Carbs .............................50 g
of which sugar...............12 g
of which Fibre.... ............5 g

In this case you can subtract the fibre count from the total carb count.

Any other input or clues??

Gagalina

koriordan
Thu, Sep-23-04, 09:29
You have it bang on there.

Rebecca A
Sun, Jan-30-05, 00:19
I'm from the good ol' USofA and I need all the help I can get, therefore, I subtract the fiber. I figure if I put it in my mouth and I get help getting it out, why not?

koriordan
Sun, Jan-30-05, 05:19
It is not only perfectly okay to subtract the fibre from the carb count, but the fibre also decreases the impact of the existing carbs. So for example, wholewheat foods will have much less of a carb impact than refined flour foods.