PDA

View Full Version : Hello all - new member here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hondo_san
Thu, Sep-09-04, 02:28
Howdy from Missouri...

I've been all over the map, diet-wise, from the "old days" of living on bagels and sliced turkey, finally realizing the pitpalls thereof, to subsisting on various preparations of chicken and beef exclusively, prepared ala bachelor. Pretty boring, that.

I excercise quite often, ususally 4-6 days a week, at least in the summer months. Activities are brisk walking, flat outdoor trail cycling, and an occasional 20-25 mile road ride with the local bike racers (not the hardcore ones, the "regular folks" who are lucky enough to have been able to afford a nice road bike.) I've lifted a fair bit in the past, but these days, I prefer cardio fitness activities.

I've been holding a fairly low bodyfat for the last 8 years or so, but in the last months, I've been getting the feeling that my lapse in diet during that time has begun to catch up with me, as is time, and I've measured a gain of almost 2 cm around the waist. Not muc h, you may say, but I *never* want to be the 33lbs heavier that I was 8 years ago.

Having read several of the books in the low-carb department, I suppose I lean toward the Paleo philosophy, as it just makes the most sense to me.

Why am I here? I've reached the realization that I need to get a handle on my poor dining habits. My excuses are similar to many folks, I'm sure. I've worked 6 days a week for the last 4 years, often 12 hours a day, when all is said and done. If I had public-speaking skills, I could get up there and sing the praises of frequent exercise and eating right, but the reality is, working a stressful job with no meal breaks, then coming home dog-tired tends to weaken one's resolve. The end result is that I eat a very poor diet, which I personally feel that (along with the stress) has contributed to my coming down with mild symptoms of Meniere's disease. It's just too easy to zip out and grab some fast-food, as opposed to preparing healthy food at home.

I came upon this forum mostly with the hope that I could find a place where regular people share their experiences, many or most of whom don't have the time or energy to prepare the elaborate recepies from books that either take too long to put together, or are unwieldy for a single person's "habits". In the short-term, at least, I'm looking to find a small set of meals that I enjoy. I've spent months eating the same things, and don't mind that, but I need to make the change from eating the same junk to healthy low-carb. Oh, and low sodium, too.

Sorry for the long post, but I tend to get that way late at night. I'm not fishing for "The Answer" with this message alone, but does anyone know what forum might be a good starting point for me to begin?

Cheers,
Mark

Akasha
Thu, Sep-09-04, 08:34
Hi there, and welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will find all the support you need. These people here have helped me with every single question or doubt I ever had. Welcome!

SLMDezi
Thu, Sep-09-04, 14:03
Mark,

Hello and welcome, first thing I have to ask you is how tall are you? and how thin do you want to be ???? I think there's plenty of people here who are willing to help you with any questions you might have, I would drop by some journals and other threads and introduce yourself....best of luck to you :wave:

velvetnit
Thu, Sep-09-04, 14:43
Welcome to the board! Learning to eat other things besides fast food has been a challenge for me also. I hope you find the help you need here!

4beans4me
Thu, Sep-09-04, 14:45
Hello and welcome Mark! :wave: