PDA

View Full Version : How's It Going?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sharone
Wed, Sep-19-01, 15:13
Hi, there. My husband, Mark, and I started the Atkins plan just over 2 weeks ago and I have been poking around this site since then. Finally decided today to jump in and join the fun.

I lost 8 lbs on induction and Mark lost 9lbs, much to my disgust, as I plan and prepare all our meals, he just goes right ahead and eats everything and then has the nerve to lose more than I do!

We are both delighted with the results. This is not difficult at all, we are never hungry and have not strayed from the plan, even on the rare occasion when we were tempted. My only complaint is that I am spending a bit more money on food, as I am pampering us with the best cuts of meat and fish, but I think we deserve it.

One other good point is that we are sleeping like babies. This is never a problem for him, but before this diet I used to take around 40 mins to drop off.

Can anyone help me understand the significance of the varying shades on the Ketostix. Is pink still good? I fluctuate daily, is that OK?

Look forward to hearing from someone.

Great site.

Tara
Wed, Sep-19-01, 16:03
Wow, way to go for that 8 and 9 pounds! I bet you both are so excited! :hyper:

If ya'll are drinking your water, your Ketostix will probably be in the light pink range. When I first started, I wasn't drinking all the water I should, and my Ketostix were DARK. Since upping my water intake, mine are now a very light pink. But if ya'll are losing, I wouldn't worry about it.

This site is full of great info about that and a lot of other stuff as well. And, the support is wonderful! :D

liddle
Wed, Sep-19-01, 17:49
:wave: Welcome to the board. I am new to this board as well. My husband started LC around the 13 of July and I started the 30th. He has lost 54 lbs. as of this morning and I've lost 24lbs. He just has no concideration. LOL Bad Hubby! :bash: (I love that thing) Anyway, good luck to both of you!
Heather

Raven
Wed, Sep-19-01, 17:53
Hey there Sharone!

Congrats on the pounds lost so far! It's true that men seem to have a much easier time with losing than we do. They just have the right metabolism to make things easier. I'm spending more money too than I used to, but I agree with you, it's worth it.

Everyone is different when it comes to the ketostix. Some people never measure more than the lightest shade of pink, some don't register at all on them but still lose weight. Mine is always the next to the darkest shade of purple, and usually this can mean that you're not drinking enough water. But since I drink from 2 to 4 liters a day, I don't think this is the case at least for me. Also if you're not measuring very high it could mean that you're burning up all those ketones, not leaving much to spill over into the urine.

You'll probably see a darker shade if you measure it in the late afternoon as opposed to the morning.

So basically, there isn't much significance as to what shade the sticks are.

Happy low-carbing and good luck to you and Mark! I know you guys are going to do great

http://www.contrabandent.com/pez1/kao/otn/pconfettileft.gif

Karen
Thu, Sep-20-01, 02:18
Welcome to lowcarb.ca Sharone!

I didn't know what a ketostick was until I read Atkins. By then, I had already lost 50 pounds. They're fun, but not essential. Don't start obsessing over them. It can be an expensive habit. ;)

Men do irritatingly enough lose faster then we women. Congratulations to both of you!

Karen

sharone
Thu, Sep-20-01, 04:38
Thanks for your replies.

It's really great to hear from you. Raven I feel like I know you as I have been reading your posts over the last couple of weeks. You are all over this site, you're one avid poster.

My mind is now at rest over the Ketostix. And yes Karen, I think I was obsessing over them. When this pack is finished I don't think I'll buy more.

I'm really inspired by your weight losses and your support.

Talk to you soon.

Sharon

Bez
Thu, Sep-20-01, 09:58
:wave: Hi Sharone,

Welcome aboard and great weight loss. You'll get lots of help and encouragement from everyone here and helpful tips and advice.

I keep the site available to me all day whilst I'm working and have a browse through every now and again - it's really helped me through this week as it's been one of the hardest for me.

Happy browsing,

Bez

:wiggle: :wiggle:

Sharon
Thu, Sep-20-01, 11:52
I agree with everyone else....don't waste your money on them.. Like everyone else I bought "one" container of them...even shared them with a couple of folks at the office lowcarbing....so everyone could have their little thrill of pink or purple!!!

Sounds like you're doing great...keep up the good work.

debbiedobson
Thu, Sep-20-01, 17:58
welcome aboard sharone!:wave: congratulations on your weight loss! my husband loses faster than i do too! it's so frustrating!! our bodies like to hang on to fat in case of a famine and we have to reproduce or nurse babies! c'mon mother nature, get a grip! be happy with the weight that you've lost! you've done really well! :D

Raven
Thu, Sep-20-01, 18:27
It's really great to hear from you. Raven I feel like I know you as I have been reading your posts over the last couple of weeks. You are all over this site, you're one avid poster.

What can I say? I LOVE you guys!http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/ups/kamikaze/smilie_colors1.gif http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/ups/kamikaze/smilie_colors1.gif