PDA

View Full Version : Help My Ldl Has Gone Up So Much!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DavidS
Fri, Sep-03-04, 13:40
Hi I NEED HELP!!!!!!! MY LDL USED to be 94 before I started the atkins now its an Amazing 175!!! I need help!!!!!! I do admitt I was having a lot of transfatty acids but I dont think it should rise it that much! ALso I have been only doing excersice three time a week for a bout 10 minutes. I did lose of 50 pounds. What should I do. I started taking garlic pills and Niacin which should lower my ldl. Everything elese is fantastic besides my ldl. PLEASE I NEED HELP I DONT WANT TO GO BACK TO A LOW FAT DIET. AM I DOING SOMETHING WONG. I mean yea for a bout two weeks before I got my ldl taken I have not been in keptosis and gained a little weight back but Now im strict as struict can be. Also I did eat a little before I took my ldl. I ate and Low carb peanunt bar and two low carb hersheys bar. BUt I dont think it was enought to raise it to 175 I mean Im going to die!!! I NEED HELP PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP> IM SO NUERVOUS

eddiemcm
Fri, Sep-03-04, 14:14
You need to eat absolutely nothing 12-14 hours before a blood test.
You should repeat your blood test.

CindySue48
Fri, Sep-03-04, 16:58
I agree with eddiemcm!!!!

Stop stressing until you get a proper fasting test!

Dodger
Fri, Sep-03-04, 19:20
I'm a third. The blood cholesterol test requires the fast before the blood is taken. Have the test redone and fast before hand and I am sure it will show that the LDL is low.

Sandie47
Fri, Sep-03-04, 19:52
Before I had my blood work done I fasted for 16 hours. No water, no nothing. Have the test retaken. I'm surprised the doctors' office didn't tell you that you should not eat before hand.

Sandie

DavidS
Fri, Sep-03-04, 20:25
Guys I dont think its going to make a huge difference! I mean I need to lower it like um.... over 60 points. Their is no way that that is going to make a differnece and plus before I started the Atkins Diet I ate before I took my ldl and it came at 94. And the doctors only say dont eat for the trygelities something like that. I know that Atkins has raised my ldl And this is a pretty common thing since other people are having similar issues as me. I need to know what should I do. Excersize more eat less fat and restrict my calories. Stop eating trans fatty acids. Ummm. stop getting on and off keptosis frequently!! Please someone help I dont want to Die. Their is no way that and LDL of almost 180 is normal I need help should I go to a low calorie diet. The thing is that I dont want to go on a low calore diet cause I cant stand just eating lean meats. IM sorry Im freakin out hear soooo nuervous OMG I feel like cryinG!!!!! Is niacin enough to lower my ldl. This fells like a nightmare. RIght now after getting those results back I started back on phase 1 and started doing excersize and I am taking loads of garlic pills, vitamins, niacin and eating raw garlic anything to get this ldl down!!! My doctor said he wants me off the atkins cause its toooooo dangerous for my health but I want to see if their is anything else I can do before I get off the Atkins I forgot to tell u this Im only 15 years old what should I do my parents are pretty upset and want me off this diet. I dont know what to do im all confused

DavidS
Sun, Sep-05-04, 08:22
You need to eat absolutely nothing 12-14 hours before a blood test.
You should repeat your blood test.
Yea but thats for trigilites

DavidS
Sun, Sep-05-04, 08:26
Hi I NEED HELP!!!!!!! MY LDL USED to be 94 before I started the atkins now its an Amazing 175!!! I need help!!!!!! I do admitt I was having a lot of transfatty acids but I dont think it should rise it that much! ALso I have been only doing excersice three time a week for a bout 10 minutes. I did lose of 50 pounds. What should I do. I started taking garlic pills and Niacin which should lower my ldl. Everything elese is fantastic besides my ldl. PLEASE I NEED HELP I DONT WANT TO GO BACK TO A LOW FAT DIET. AM I DOING SOMETHING WONG. I mean yea for a bout two weeks before I got my ldl taken I have not been in keptosis and gained a little weight back but Now im strict as struict can be. Also I did eat a little before I took my ldl. I ate and Low carb peanunt bar and two low carb hersheys bar. BUt I dont think it was enought to raise it to 175 I mean Im going to die!!! I NEED HELP PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP> IM SO NUERVOUS
Guys I dont think its going to make a huge difference! I mean I need to lower it like um.... over 60 points. Their is no way that that is going to make a differnece and plus before I started the Atkins Diet I ate before I took my ldl and it came at 94. And the doctors only say dont eat for the trygelities something like that. I know that Atkins has raised my ldl And this is a pretty common thing since other people are having similar issues as me. I need to know what should I do. Excersize more eat less fat and restrict my calories. Stop eating trans fatty acids. Ummm. stop getting on and off keptosis frequently!! Please someone help I dont want to Die. Their is no way that and LDL of almost 180 is normal I need help should I go to a low calorie diet. The thing is that I dont want to go on a low calore diet cause I cant stand just eating lean meats. IM sorry Im freakin out hear soooo nuervous OMG I feel like cryinG!!!!! Is niacin enough to lower my ldl. This fells like a nightmare. RIght now after getting those results back I started back on phase 1 and started doing excersize and I am taking loads of garlic pills, vitamins, niacin and eating raw garlic anything to get this ldl down!!! My doctor said he wants me off the atkins cause its toooooo dangerous for my health but I want to see if their is anything else I can do before I get off the Atkins I forgot to tell u this Im only 15 years old what should I do my parents are pretty upset and want me off this diet. I dont know what to do im all confused

IPR
Sun, Sep-05-04, 18:20
Fasting really does only affect the triglycerides, but it would be sensible none the less to do teh test properly so you can what the full resuklts would be i.e. low triglycerides.

One thing for sure, cut out the trans fats, regardless of diet you need to stop eating these now as these are what will kill you not LDL of 175.

Rosebud
Sun, Sep-05-04, 19:05
Hi David,

I see you've been given great advice elsewhere which you seem to be ignoring for some reason.

First of all, as a registered nurse, let me assure you, that for any cholesterol test (not just triglycerides) to be accurate, you must have fasted for 10 to 12 hours. You may drink water, but that's all. Eating any food means that the test is pointless. And yes, it can vary by as much as 60 points. ;)

What are your HDL and triglycerides? Because they are the ones that really matter these days.

Have you read the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum about cholesterol and understanding its numbers? If you haven't yet, do so, and I'm sure you'll understand a bit more.

So, how about taking a deep breath, admit to your doctor that you'd eaten food before the last one and have it repeated. If it is still elevated, come back and we can discuss it again.

You've done a great job losing 50 pounds, so congratulate yourself for that, and try not to worry so much about a test that isn't even accurate.

All the best to you!

Rosebud

tofi
Sun, Sep-05-04, 20:11
Your reaction is certainly not typical of someone who has been following Atkins' Plan as written. And trans fatty acids are not on that plan. Why are you so sure that eating trans fats wouldn't raise your LDL? Maybe they would.

After 6 years of LCing, my numbers are great. All values in the "Lower than average" risk area. My doctor said that my cholesterol ratio was fabulous. And I"m not alone.

This way of eating is chemical. You can't fool your liver into ignoring carbs and trans fats and sugar alcohols. It won't pretend they are not there if they are in your diet. So you get the consequences.

Now do the way of eating as it's written and you may get the good results that are the usual reaction to low carbing. BUt until then, you really can't claim that Low Carbing is causing your unusual blood results.

Iwilldoit
Sun, Sep-05-04, 20:21
I'm not from the States so I'm probably a little out of the loop here.

I'm a little surprised that your physician did a second lipid screen, especially since you had an LDL of 94 just previously...

Is it typical for docs in the US to do lipid profiles on 15 year olds?

DavidS
Sun, Sep-05-04, 22:48
Hi David,

I see you've been given great advice elsewhere which you seem to be ignoring for some reason.

First of all, as a registered nurse, let me assure you, that for any cholesterol test (not just triglycerides) to be accurate, you must have fasted for 10 to 12 hours. You may drink water, but that's all. Eating any food means that the test is pointless. And yes, it can vary by as much as 60 points. ;)

What are your HDL and triglycerides? Because they are the ones that really matter these days.

Have you read the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum about cholesterol and understanding its numbers? If you haven't yet, do so, and I'm sure you'll understand a bit more.

So, how about taking a deep breath, admit to your doctor that you'd eaten food before the last one and have it repeated. If it is still elevated, come back and we can discuss it again.

You've done a great job losing 50 pounds, so congratulate yourself for that, and try not to worry so much about a test that isn't even accurate.

All the best to you!

Rosebud

I spoke with my doctor and he told me it wont make a difference and both of my parents agree!! I hate this cause I really want to do the atkins. So Im going back on induction having under 20 carbs a day, taking atkins essential oils, fatty omega acids, vitamins, vitamin c, Nician, garlic pills. ANd doing 1 hour of eccersize a day. ANd get rid of trans fatt from my diet. I hope this would get my ldl down. I am getting my ldl tested in 1 month I will let you know from their. My hdl was 80 and my tri was 45

rloveman
Mon, Sep-06-04, 00:12
That was my first thought, too, IWillDoIt. I'm from the States, and no, it's not common to check the cholesterol of teenagers so often like that. I also wonder why this would be posted in the war zone.

CindySue48
Mon, Sep-06-04, 13:44
That was my first thought, too, IWillDoIt. I'm from the States, and no, it's not common to check the cholesterol of teenagers so often like that. I also wonder why this would be posted in the war zone.

I hate to jump to conclusions. But look at all of DavidS's posts. Every one is about cholesterol. Now, he may just be freaked, but not a single post on another forum? The posts where he gives advice, it's always "cut out saturated fats" and exercise...and if that doesn't work, exercise more!

DavidS just what is your agenda here?

tamarian
Mon, Sep-06-04, 14:04
I spoke with my doctor and he told me it wont make a difference and both of my parents agree!!
Maybe it's time to find a real doctor?

We all respect parents, but what medical training do they have to change testing methods? And if your doctor really (not sure s/he did) say such a thing, there's at least no harm in doing the test the way it was designed to.

Wa'il

IPR
Mon, Sep-06-04, 19:18
My hdl was 80 and my tri was 45
Well these are absolutely great numbers!!

With a tri level of 45 the method for calculating LDL is inaccurate and not applicable. I am also rather amazed that your tri figure is that low if you didn't fast. I did a test once without fasting and had tri of 110, then 2 weeks later a fasted test and they were 48. Incidentally the HDL figure was identical in both test.

When you have your next test make sure you fast for the required period and also as the Dr to actually measure the LDL not just calculate it.

Rosebud
Mon, Sep-06-04, 19:26
Just out of curiosity, DavidS, what was your total cholesterol?