PDA

View Full Version : Guggulsterones / Guggulebolic / Guggul Lipid

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MaryErics
Tue, Sep-18-01, 07:22
Hi ladies,

has anyone heard of this? and what are your thoughts?

I just read about it on the internet and I tried to do some research, there is a lot of information, but I am not sure whether to believe it.

It is claimed that this helps weight loss by having a thyroid stimulating ability and is especially helpful in ketogenic diets.

So what do you think? I would love to hear your thought before I go and try this product.

Thanks,
Mary

Natrushka
Tue, Sep-18-01, 07:44
Mary, I'd never heard of it until you posted. I've done a bit of searching since and have found some interesting articles.

e.g. http://www.puritan.com/healthnotes/Herb/Guggul.htm
http://www.holisticonline.com/ayurveda/ayv-clinical-studies.htm

Word of caution, if something appears to good to be true, it usually is.

Nat

MaryErics
Tue, Sep-18-01, 14:11
Nat,

that's exactly what I am thinking.

but on the other hand it does sound interesting, and that's why i wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

oh well, i guess i will wait a little longer until more people try it out and share their experiences/results/comments :)

i don't want to be the guinea pig :)

Thanks

bluugirl
Tue, Sep-18-01, 16:53
guggul sounds like something you would read in a harry potter book :) lol

Raven
Tue, Sep-18-01, 17:33
Very interesting, I had never heard of this stuff. Seems like it's very popular in India.

I noticed the side effects listed, and cautions for people with liver disease or diarhea... I think I'll wait until it's studied a bit more in my country before considering it.

doreen T
Tue, Sep-18-01, 17:42
I've known that Guggul has been used for a long time in India for treating high cholesterol; I'd never heard of it being used as a weight loss aid. And personally, I disregard anything that touts itself as "stimulating the thyroid, therefore promotes weight loss" (like kelp, iodine, etc .. )

I did a check at TNP.com (The Natural Pharmacist -- great site by the way) and found thisWhat Is Guggul Used for Today?

In the early 1960s, Indian researchers discovered an ancient Sanskrit medical text that appears to clearly describe the symptoms and treatment of high cholesterol. One of the main recommendations was guggul. Subsequent tests in animals found that guggul gum both lowered cholesterol levels and also separately protected against the development of hardening of the arteries.

Several research trials followed this discovery, culminating in pilot studies examining guggul's effectiveness in humans. Although the evidence that it works remains preliminary, the Indian government was sufficiently impressed to approve guggul as a treatment for high cholesterol.

A small controlled trial (blinding not stated) compared oral gugulipid (50 mg of guggulsterones twice daily) against tetracycline for the treatment of acne, and reported equivalent results. Also, a study in mice found potential antidiabetic effects.

Guggul is also widely promoted as a weight-loss agent that supposedly enhances thyroid function. However, in a pilot study, no effect on thyroid hormone was seen. Overall, it does appear to be free of side effects. I'm now interested in its effects on acne. Gee, wouldn't THAT be great!

Doreen

tofi
Tue, Sep-18-01, 18:13
It is available in the US in a product named "Thyrolean" and in Canada at GNC as TLN. I am currently taking it with L-carnitine to see if I can break a huge long horrible stall. I will keep you posted if I start to lose.

BarB

Trainerdan
Tue, Sep-18-01, 18:39
Well, it's not gonna works it's magic all by itself ... it has to be part of a targeted plan. Guggul WILL stimulate thyroid activity to a point ... it is best saved when your thyroid had adjusted your metabolism down due to a "too low" calorie intake (aka stall/plateau).

So, how do you know when this has happened? And what can you do about it?

Here comes the fun stuff.

First, you need to checkyour body temperature FIRST THING in the morning. That means as soon as youwake up. If it's under 97.8, start taking Guggullipids and phosphates to stimulate thyroid activity (Prolab makes a product called ThyroLean that has
them stacked together).

Once you get your AM temperature above 97.8, cruise there for a while. Keep doing your diet and exercsie plans as you normally do. Keep taking your morning temperature. It's important because it will show you when your thyroid adjusts to your supplements.

The first time that your temperature falls below 97.8 for three days straight, stop taking guggul and start taking a product called TriaxII. Work youself up to taking doses 3x day. Remember to keep taking your AM temperature.

When it adjusts again, stop taking Triax and start taking Guggul +
phosphates again. You can also start taking a thermogenic (Adipokinetix is the best), and add 3 grams of fish oil or 2 tablespoons of flax oil to your supplement mix.

As with any supplement, READ THE LABELS AND SEE IF IT IS FOR YOU OR NOT ... I am not a doctor ... I am just a trainer who knows a lot of dirty little tricks to confuse the body and fool it's little "fail-safes" (damn homeostasis!) ...

doreen T
Tue, Sep-18-01, 18:54
I was surfing around, trying to find the info ... and here you go and post it right here.

Thankyou, and thanks for explaining in a way that we can all understand.

:heart:

Doreen

Trainerdan
Tue, Sep-18-01, 19:22
It's taken me YEARS to accumulate all of these little tricks ... most people that I try to explain things like this to get this glazed-over look in their eyes after about 30 seconds, and I can swear that I hear circus music coming from their ears ...

I guess what I am trying to say is that is in nice to have an audience that is receptive. That's why we're all here right? To learn from each other.

I get alot of recipes from all of you ... I, um, lack creativity in the kitchen. So, my way of paying you all back is thru exercise/supplement info.

Either that or I can bill you ... :agree:

Just kidding of course ...

Raven
Tue, Sep-18-01, 20:51
Thanks much Dan for posting that info!

I'm a bit too chicken to try it at the moment, but I'd be very interested to hear about anyone's results if they go for it. I do think I'll start taking my temp in the morning and see if my thyroid is being lazy. Thanks for the tip!