PDA

View Full Version : Totally Awesome Spice Cake Cupcakes

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

BettyR
Thu, Aug-26-04, 15:36
I've been tweeking this recipe for some time now and I think it's really good. I hope you will enjoy it as much as my family has.

BETTY'S SPICE CAKE CUPCAKES

1 1/2 cup almond flour-12
3/4 cup vital wheat gluten-12
8 ounces cream cheese-8
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder-2
1 tsp. baking soda-0
1/2 tsp. salt-0
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg-.5
2 tsp. Cinnamon-2
1 T. Vanilla-1
2 eggs-2
1/4 cup oil-0
1 tsp. Vinegar-0
1 cup sugar substitute(I used ¼ cup Erythritol +1tsp. Trishz's liquid Splenda)-0
1/2 cup cream-4
1/4 cup water-0

Put everything into a food processor and process until smooth. Open processor and scrape down the sides with a spatula and process for another two minutes.

NOTE:
You want to develop the gluten, so if you don't have a food processor and are going to use a mixer I would beat it on high speed for at least 5 minutes. (The only way I've ever made these was in a food processor but I don't see why a mixer wouldn't work.)

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full (I use paper cupcake liners) and bake at 350° for 17 to 20 minutes. Cupcakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched with your finger.

Makes 16 cup cakes- 3g carbs each

Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Lotsofhats
Fri, Aug-27-04, 15:34
Betty,
I've been lurking for quiet a while, but I just had to sign up today so I could tell you how much I enjoyed these cupcakes.

They taste so much like the real thing that I could hardly believe I was eating a low carb cake. My husband walked in and grabbed one. When he took a bite out of it he looked at me with wide eyes and asked me if I'd lost my mind.

I'm like what?! He's yelling at me about watching my blood sugar and am I trying to kill myself. I had to show him the recipe before he would believe they were low carb. Then he ate about half of them.

I'm about to go make some more to take to friends house tomorrow for a BBQ.

Thanks for this recipe,
Dot

BettyR
Sat, Aug-28-04, 12:15
You are very welcome, I'm so glad you liked it. I think I'm going to give chocolate a try and see what happens.

This is a knock off of another recipe I have for waffles. They're the best low carb waffles I've eaten since I started this WOE. My kids can't tell the difference between them and the real thing. Now if I could just find a decent low carb pancake syrup I'd be in business.

SadLady
Sat, Aug-28-04, 14:18
Where do you buy the products to make them?

Thanks

BettyR
Sat, Aug-28-04, 16:08
You can make the almond flour yourself, if you can find some raw almonds at a reasonable price. Stick the almonds in the freezer, you'll get a finer grind that way, then grind them up in a coffee grinder or food processor.

Or if you have a Trader Joe's they have it.

Or call around to your local heath food stores, they may carry it.

Or you can order on line at http://www.almondsonline.com/ , or http://nuttyguys.com/ , or http://nuts4u.com/

The vital wheat gluten I buy at Kroger, or most health food stores will have it.

You don't really need the Erythritol, you can use whatever combination of sweeteners you prefer.

But if you want to order it http://store.yahoo.com/ihealthtree/low-carb-success-erythritol-16oz.html I think has the best price.

BettyR
Sat, Aug-28-04, 16:57
The chocolate cupcakes are just as good as the spice cake cupcakes. I haven't frosted them yet, I guess cream cheese frosting will be good.

CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES

1 1/2 cup almond flour-12
3/4 cup vital wheat gluten-12
8 ounces cream cheese-8
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder-2
1 tsp. baking soda-0
1/2 tsp. Salt-0
2 ounces baking chocolate(melted)(I used Hershey's)-8
1 T. vanilla-1
2 eggs-2
1/4 cup oil-0
1 tsp. Vinegar-0
1 cup sugar substitute(I use ¼ cup Erythritol +1-½ tsp. Trishz's liquid Splenda + 1 teaspoon SteviaPlus)-0
1/2 cup cream-4
1/4 cup water-0

Put everything into a food processor and process until smooth. Open processor and scrap down the sides with a spatula and process for another two minutes.

NOTE:
You want to develop the gluten, so if you don't have a food processor and are going to use a mixer I would beat it on high speed for at least 5 minutes.

Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 350° for 17 to 20 minutes.

Makes 16 cup cakes- 3g carbs each

Karen D.
Sun, Aug-29-04, 06:23
I made the Spice version, and they were just as good as you said they are, Betty. Thanks very much for posting the recipe.

Karen D.

BettyR
Sun, Aug-29-04, 08:42
Karen D.-
I'm so glad you liked them. Non low carbers usually like these just as much as we low carbers do.

I'm the only one in my family who does low carb, so if they'll eat it and not complain about it tasting funny I know I've got a winner.

Karen D.
Sun, Aug-29-04, 12:52
You sure have got a winner! Instead of frosting them with cream-cheese icing, I just had mine with whipped cream - it was delicious. I live alone and, being diabetic, really have to be careful of carbs, so I'll just eat one a day. Once they're gone, though, I'll try the chocolate ones, and I'm sure they'll be just as good. Thanks again.

Karen D.

Lotsofhats
Sun, Aug-29-04, 13:39
Betty,
I just wanted to tell you that your spice cake cupcakes were a big hit at the BBQ. They disappeared so quickly I wish I'd made more. They're so moist and have such good flavor.

I made the chocolate ones this morning using 2 ounces of chocolate instead of 3, and frosted them with the cream cheese frosting. DH loves them, but the spice cake is still my favorite.

Thanks again for this recipe, this is going to make the Holidays and whole lot easier. I'll have something to satisfy my sweet tooth and I won't feel so left out.
Dot

gab
Sat, Jul-30-05, 10:54
what is the receipe for the cream chesse frosting?

with thanks,
gab

Pelp
Sat, Jul-30-05, 17:56
Hi everyone! Wow, this sounds like an absolutely terrific recipe! I'm going to have to try it for sure.

I have one question though... What is "Trishz's liquid Splenda"? Is it a product that you can buy or something that someone here has come up with? The reason that I ask is that my source for liquid Splenda has dried up and I've been trying desparately to find it somewhere else.

Leesa

Grienspace
Sat, Jul-30-05, 19:19
I checked at a nearby groc store today and they had a flour mixture for low carb bread that had soy flour, vital wheat gluten, whole wheat flour, sunflower and flax seeds in it. (no carb count). Would that be ok to use??

Also to make the cream cheese frosting - do you just add a little vanilla and splenda to the cr. cheese?

I love this forum. It gives so many ideas and such great support and encouragement. I had been in a 3 month stall but using some of the ideas here, some major tweaking and voila - a whoosh!! Thank you all so much

Ann

Cynthia123
Thu, Sep-15-05, 14:21
I made these and they were great! :yum: I accidentally got a little heavy-handed with the nutmeg but other than that I followed the recipe to a the letter.

I loved them and that's not good because there were days I found myself have two (or three). :help:

I kept some in the fridge and I froze some and when the ones in the fridge were gone, I would thaw one from the freezer out each day.

Thank you very much for this recipe.

Sonia567
Sun, Feb-24-08, 17:30
Wow. These are the best tasting LC baked goods I've ever made. They tasted the closest to the "real" thing of all I've tried so far. I didn't have the sweeteners in the recipe, so just used 3/4 cup granular Spenda instead. Also, didn't have nutmeg, so used 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. I used the blanched almond flour (the kind without the almond skins).

As suggested in the recipe, I made some cream cheese frosting with cream cheese and some DaVinci's Vanilla syrup, and frosted some of them. I had one this morning for BK, cut into 4 slices and toasted with a little butter. It was yummy.

Thank you Betty, for posting this recipe!!!!!! I can't wait to try the chocolate ones.

How do you store them? In the fridge or in a covered container at room temp?

Sonia

Cynthia123
Mon, Feb-25-08, 16:35
How do you store them? In the fridge or in a covered container at room temp?

Sonia

Hi Sonia,

I store mine in a Ziplock Storage bag in the refrigerator.

Donna I.
Tue, Apr-08-08, 17:32
Just wanted to say that I make these on a regular basis and they are really good.

ebp
Tue, May-20-08, 13:24
Betty R: I found a great lowcarb syrup it's Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free. It's sweetened with splenda and sorbitol and has 1 carb per 1/4 cup. I can't tell it from the sugaredl stuff. : )ebp

TheMom
Tue, Sep-23-08, 12:08
Thanks for posting the spice cake cupcake recipe, it's exactly what I was looking for. A couple of questions: have you tried baking this recipe in a loaf pan yet? and: where can I find the low carb waffle recipe you mentioned in one of your posts? THANKS AGAIN!

chellbi
Mon, Oct-13-08, 04:06
any ideas of the cup measurement converted in to grams?

4EverChgd
Sat, Aug-14-10, 16:56
I realize this thread is old, but I just have to comment. These Cupcake/Muffins are WONDERFUL! My DH and son were just as impressed. I left a few fresh ones out but froze the rest so they wouldn't end up eating them all.

I don't have a food processor, so I used a hand mixer for 5 mins as you suggested. The batter was a little thicker than I expected it to be, but they came out perfectly, and I ended up with 18! I'll have to re-adjust the carb count.

Here's a pic of them just out of the oven:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z288/DemRising/Food%20Images/Spice_Cake_Muffins_Sm.jpg

Thank YOU Betty!!

mirinblue
Fri, Sep-03-10, 14:08
bumping to save