PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Macadamia Cranberry Biscotti

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LowCarbBab
Mon, Aug-23-04, 19:17
I have a modified version of the Atkins Biscotti if anyone would like to try it. Biscotti are Italian cookies and are great for dipping in coffee or tea.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 sticks butter
4 eggs
1 cup carb free flour substitute (Atkins Bake mix, or any Soy, oat, wheat carb free bake mix)
18 packets of Splenda
2/3 cup ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 cup macadamia nuts (chopped)

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Mix all the ingredients together (in any order, I've tried it all hehe). Blend everything together until dough is thick...kind of like butter cookie dough. Taste the dough, add extra splenda or cinnamon to your taste. On an UNGREASED baking sheet, make one big log shape. Place baking sheet with dough in the over and bake for 25 minutes. Take the sheet out and lower the oven to 325 degrees F. Cut the logs crosswise into 1/2 inch wide slices. Arrange the slices onto another baking sheet and bake for another 15-20 minutes until cookies are decently crisp.

Hope ya'll enjoy! :wave:

cmcole
Tue, Aug-24-04, 13:22
I hope you dry your own cranberries, because the ones you usually buy are loaded in sugar.

Karen
Wed, Aug-25-04, 00:28
Sounds great!

I'm just checking to make sure that the measurements of these ingredients are correct before trying them out.

2/3 cup ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons salt
Karen

LowCarbBab
Wed, Aug-25-04, 09:19
No, I use the cranberries that the Atkins book suggests =)

Ladycody
Wed, Aug-25-04, 10:54
Do you know the carb count in these? Thanks in advance...I love biscotti.

carrottop
Wed, Aug-25-04, 11:16
Seems like a lot of salt.

gotbeer
Wed, Aug-25-04, 11:43
Typical (high carb) Biscotti recipes seem to use a lot less cinnamon...for example: http://cookie.allrecipes.com/az/CinnamonHazelnutBiscotti.asp

LowCarbBab
Wed, Aug-25-04, 18:59
Each biscotti is 1.5 carbs according to Dr. Atkins (In the "Quick Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less book)when he uses sour cream and hazelnuts instead of macadamia nuts. So probably around there if not less because I don't use sour cream in my biscotti and I use macadamia nuts which are lower carb than the hazelnuts.

LowCarbBab
Wed, Aug-25-04, 19:01
You can use one to two tablespoons of salt. I use 2 and it comes out perfect. Without the salt and cinnamon the cookies come out too bland. But try it your way, taste the dough with the salt amount you prefer, and if it doesn't taste quite right add more!