PDA

View Full Version : newmalaysian

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jesselina
Mon, Aug-23-04, 00:26
Hi I am very very new to this, I just started Atkins today, and I am really at a loss as the recipes provided in Dr. Atkins' book is more for Europeans and not asian. Furthermore I do not know where to get low carb food in Malaysia.
So anyone out there who knows what low carb food we can eat in Malaysia and where to get low card food, please help me out. Thanks.

Karen
Mon, Aug-23-04, 08:40
Just use low-carb principles and apply them to Malasian food. :) You don't have to follow the Atkins recipes.

Here are just a few examples of what Malaysian food can be eaten. There are many more dishes. Just avoid rice, noodles, sugar and anything sweet or starchy

Stir-fried Cabbage and Eggs
Stir-fried Chinese Cabbage and Dried Shrimp
Ikan Bakar
Assam Prawns
Rendang
Satay
Vindaloo
Ikan Bilis Sambal Tumis

Any green, leafy vegetable, bean sprouts, French beans, long beans, radishes, bamboo shoots can be eaten. Tofu too.

Hope that helps you out,

Karen

nets33
Mon, Aug-23-04, 11:48
Welcome Jesse...

Listen to Karen, she is our expert on good food! :D

good luck,
Kiks

jesselina
Mon, Aug-23-04, 23:05
Thank you all for the advise, yes Karen you really know malaysian food, have you stayed in Malaysia before, since you used the word ikan bakar, rendang you must be quite familiar with malay food. I feel really weak today and am tempted to just give up, how long does it take to feel okay.

I thought no one would answer me, as nobody including several doctors here are in the dark about atkins.

Hope to have your guidance often. Thanks. :p

grammiedee
Mon, Aug-23-04, 23:14
Don't give up you'll find all the help you need on the forums. Drop by my journal anytime and say HI!
I went on Atkins in 2002 and went from 308 to 255 then quit -- didn't gain it all back, but stopping was BIG mistake. Hang in there you can do it.

C. U. LIGHTER LATER!

jesselina
Mon, Aug-23-04, 23:17
Thanks. I will.

Karen
Tue, Aug-24-04, 09:35
Hi jesselina,

I've never been to Malaysia but I do a lot of food research. :)

You will feel lousy and you will have withdrawal symptoms for a few days while your body adjusts but then you will feel great!

Karen