PDA

View Full Version : I'm new - wanted to say "hello"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Watchr4hm
Sun, Aug-22-04, 21:50
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum, but not so new to the low-carb lifestyle. I started the "Atkins" diet back in 1999 to treat severe carb induced depression and a chronic hypoglycemic condition. It was a miracle cure. Although I gained about 20 lbs (115lb-135lbs.) on the diet, I was thrilled, because I felt better than I ever did in my life. A depressive disorder that I had fought with since I was a child almost instantly disappeared, my constant craving for carbs went away and my blood sugar levels stabalized. I was a true Atkid for about two years. But then slowly, I slipped off the diet. Now I'm back here again in the same condition (maybe worse) than I was before I tried Adkins. I would like to lose a few pounds this time around, but my main goal is to stabilize my blood sugar levels and treat the depression. Like any addict, I need all the support that I can get. I'd like to try a different low carb diet this time, I've read the "Zone" and "South Beach Diet" books and I'm interested to see how they compare to Atkins. I think that something more moderate would be easier for me to stick to in the long run - but I'm open at this point. Anyway, I'm very grateful to have found this site. It's nice to know that this time around, I won't be doing this alone.

LilaCotton
Sun, Aug-22-04, 22:22
Welcome! It's so nice you could join us here. :)

I've read a bit on SB and my sis-in-law is in The Zone and has been for years. I think The Zone is awesome for controlling blood sugars because of how all the foods are blocked together. I do sort of the same thing with Atkins, but keep my carbs lower than what those on The Zone would do.

If a person follows the carb ladder on Atkins they'll eventually end up with higher carb levels (depending on tolerance) which ultimately leads to the same kind of eating as on both The Zone and South Beach. However, I know the earlier stages of Atkins can be quite daunting for many people (for me it's as if my body has wanted to eat this way my whole life and I never let it). The longer I follow this way of eating the easier it gets, as in I've almost completely successfully brainwashed myself as to what foods I now eat and don't eat. ;)

All the best to you!