PDA

View Full Version : New LOSER!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

catapia4
Tue, Aug-17-04, 19:42
Hi everyone. Meet a loser here... I'm Christina and have been on induction now for 2 and a half weeks. I have lost 14 pounds and feel great! I lost all my weight in the first two weeks, but have stayed at the same weight in the last few days. I am Soooo faithful to this diet. It works! But why am I not losing any more when I'm still on the induction? My ketone levels go from trace to moderate and I'm a little baffled as to what I might be doing wrong. Any suggestions? :help:

LilaCotton
Tue, Aug-17-04, 19:57
Welcome! I'm sure you'll be relieved to know, nothing is wrong! What is happening is what we around here call the dreaded third week stall (which really isn't a stall at all, but what else are you going to call it? ;)). It seems that after two weeks of fabulous weight loss the body goes, 'Hey, wait a second!' and weight loss comes to a screeching halt for the next 1-2 weeks, then all of a sudden starts in again, albeit a bit more slowly than during the first couple of weeks. :) Generally speaking during this third week or so the body re-adjusts itself and you'll likely see inches disappear and/or redistribute themselves somewhat.

Also, most of us (unless you're a person who is severely metabolically resistant--and if you lost 10 pounds during the first two weeks you aren't) have found that it really doesn't do the body any good to stay on Induction longer than the first two weeks. Most of us have lost better after increasing our carbs a little bit.

Congratulations on your success so far and all the best to you!

catapia4
Tue, Aug-17-04, 20:51
Thank you!!! I have decided to try the next step and see where it goes. I had read somewhere that you could keep on induction until you lose the weight that you wanted if you could handle it, but I think that I'll go back and read my book and start the ongoing plan. I'll try increasing my carbs a bit and let you know! I feel great! My energy level is WAY up and I am TRULY not hungry! Thank you for the support!

LilaCotton
Tue, Aug-17-04, 21:21
I had read somewhere that you could keep on induction until you lose the weight

I know DANDR says that, and it's always confused me. I need to re-read that part because I'm thinking it may be for the more metabolically resistant people than those who're getting off to a good start. The common advice here is that keeping carbs too low will eventually have an affect on the metabolism--in other words it can begin to burn those few carbs very efficiently, to the point of causing weight loss stalls (a real stall is no pounds or inches lost for a period of 4 to 6 weeks).

I know my personal experience is that I lose better keeping carbs between 30 and 40 a day. I tried staying on Induction for over a month at the beginning, then upped a little bit at a time and found my results were coming along better with a few more carbs. I also enjoy the extra freedom of a few more carbs because this allows more foods like berries and nuts, and an occasional (like once a month) LC treat without cutting into my veggies.

catapia4
Wed, Aug-18-04, 07:28
I did go back and read that part lin DANDR ast night and it does mention that if yiu can handle it you can keep on induction until you lose the weight that you want. The pounds are not coming off at this point, but I think that I may be getting smaller. I need to measure on Friday and see! The induction was not difficult for me and I did not mind the restricted menu, but I added a few nut this week and a few berries. Three years ago I went on the Scarsdale Diet and I lost 17 pounds. It was difficult, but the weight came off quickly. There are small portions of food on that diet and I was usually hungry. Thee Atkins is not that way at all and I don't remember a time that I have been hungry on this diet. Thank you for the support!

Jennjacks
Wed, Aug-18-04, 07:54
catapia
could you post some of your daily food menu. you and i seem to have the
same stats, and i'm barely moving on the scales.

bluesfan88
Wed, Aug-18-04, 16:07
welcome and good luck with low carbing you are going to do great.

The one thing i always tell newbies is to get a journal (top of page for introduce yourself on a sticky ) people can look at your journal and give you feedback and you meet loads of people that way to.in my experiance i have learned so much and it helps so much.feel free to stop by my journal anytime .

hang in there , i hope the low carbing helps you .people are very supportive and will help you along in this journey .good luck

catapia4
Wed, Aug-18-04, 21:40
This is a great site! Thank you! I have discovered that the more frequent smaller meals that I eat, I seem to do better. If I wait too long to eat during the day I seem to slow down. I'm also moving more this week and i'm hoping it will help. I'm not getting on the scale until Sunday morning... I hope it's good news! Thanks soooo much for the support. I'll try to figure out how to post some of my menus!

catapia4
Wed, Aug-18-04, 22:11
P.S. I should have mentioned that I a HUGE part of my menu has been Carls' Jr. Low Carb Burgers! 6 carbs and 440 calories! They are huge and soooo filling. I omit the catsup, but they are really good!

horty
Wed, Aug-18-04, 22:15
The more water you drink the more diluted your urine will be. I drink 200 Oz or more of water a day and I do not get a reading on the ketostix (Only get a reading in the morning). Intense excersise will give you the boost you need.

catapia4
Thu, Aug-19-04, 07:33
I need to drink more water! And I'm trying to make time for my excercise. I bought a new bike and I'm starting to ride daily now. I'm also joining Curves.... wish me luck!!

SLMDezi
Thu, Aug-19-04, 08:58
Morning, Just wanted to pop in and welcome you aboard...great place for recipes and FAQ...best of luck to you!!!!

:wave:

catapia4
Thu, Aug-19-04, 19:49
Wow! What a great group of people! I have found myself checking this forum after work before I check my phone messages or my email! Thank you all for making me feel so welcome and for your ideas and support! :wave:

Cara73
Thu, Aug-19-04, 21:18
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Try not to get discouraged. We all go through it. I was taught in a weight loss center I went to several years back, "plateaus are our friend" :lol: But seriously, once you reach a plateau, you're more likely to not go above that weight. It's time for your body to adjust. Hang in there, you're doing AWESOME!!!!!

I would take some time and go through this site. It's a great source for information!!!! Also, if you haven't, I'd start a journal. It's a great way to get to know people here, and there are some wonderful people here!!!

I wish you the best of luck. I hope you'll hop on over to my journal sometime :)

catapia4
Fri, Aug-20-04, 07:31
Thanks! I think that you're right! Thanks for the supoprt! I'm going to hop over to your journal and I started one of my own. I have been excercising this week and my clothes are fitting better even though I may not have dropped any pounds!