PDA

View Full Version : JazzyMary - Down, but not Out?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jazzymary
Sun, Aug-15-04, 19:31
:wave: These forums and how to get around in them always confuse me terribly! I can never "find" my input or any responses. :lol: Anyway, I'm JazzyMary and I'm 55 years old. I weigh over 350 and have been Atkins-ing since March 2004. I have lost weight (clothes are looser, seatbelts, etc.) but cannot get into ketosis. I take Verelan for high blood pressure and Wellbutrin for depression and am considering getting off of these so I can lose weight. I'm very frustrated. I weighed at the doctor in April and was 378 (my highest weight was 468). Just two weeks ago, after being on Atkins and NOT cheating or making mistakes for almost 90 days, I weighed 382. Could it be the scale? I don't know, but I know I'm smaller. However, I also know I cannot be a 300+ pounds and wear a size 10. I'm so frustrated. Any feedback? :help:

Lesle
Sun, Aug-15-04, 20:38
HI Jazzymary and welcome!
Finding your way around on here will get easier with practice. Just keep exploring and you'll be doing fine before you know it!
As far as your scale..if it's like mine, I get a different number on it every time I step on the stupid thing! The best thing to do would be to weigh maybe only once a week, and not let the daily ups and downs discourage you.
Also, you might be able to weight weekly at your Drs office, perhaps his scale is more consistent than a home scale.
But, keep up the good work! If you notice a change in the way your clothes fit, or if you're feeling better, then you must be doing something right!
Post a typical day's menu if you'd like, and you will get lots of good feedback on the foods you are eating and possible reason you haven't gotten into ketosis yet.
Don't give up! This is a long road....but SO worth it!!
Lesle

PurpleBass
Sun, Aug-15-04, 21:22
Hello Jazzymary! Welcome! :)

Question: How do you know you haven't gone into ketosis? Are you using ketostix? I have heard that they only pick up on certain kinds of ketones the body produces - so you might be producing ketones but not turning the sticks pink.

Also keep in mind, the goal in this game is to lose fat, and to get smaller and healthier - not to turn the sticks purple or even to make the number on the scale move. So it sounds to me like you are doing fine!

Good luck, and hang in there! :)