PDA

View Full Version : Beating the odds.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nofaith
Thu, Aug-12-04, 17:35
Not quite sure anyone wants to hear from someone like me. Stumbled on this forum when I did a google on a cholesterol topic and started reading your stories. Here's mine, with a different twist.
I've never been fat - and I plan on remaining that way. No, if you look at my family you won't be able to scorn me as being one of those "lucky" people. 4 out of 7 people in my family are obese, so I don't credit my genes. I give the credit to 3 events in my life. First, at 14 I took a cross country trip to LA with my sister to visit my BIL's cousins. To my (Irish meat and potato up-bringing) horror they were vegetarians. To my delight, Uncle Dan didn't subscribe to their ways and was an excellent cook. What I learned from the vegetarians was an appreciation for non-processed whole food. What I learned from Uncle Dan was some awesome Greek recipes. The second event was my father's near death with a bleeding ulcer. After saving his life - he was told he had to lose weight and he bought the very new and controversial Dr. Atkins book (this was the mid-70's I think). I read his book, not because I needed a diet at the time but because I was very interested in science and health. The biochemistry in his book made so much more sense to me than what was being touted by the Food Pyramid. The third event was a couple of years later - when my second oldest sister and I took a look at our 3 older sisters and our mother getting more and more obese and vowed to each other that we would never let each other gain that much weight.
Anyway - my point. I'm 44 y/o, 5'3" tall and about 115lbs, after 3 children. How did I "fight the fat genes"? As much as humanly possible in this country, I only eat real whole food. I avoid soda, sugar, refined and processed food. I never eat anything fake. Most of my meals are homemade and don't come out of a package. The only fat I avoid is what I always called "plastic fat" and is now known as "trans-fat". How'd I know instinctively this was bad for me? - It was "fake". If I have a sweet treat - I take a very small portion for the taste. I only eat when I'm hungry and I take a small portion and finish and wait a few before contemplating taking seconds. I do not put any of my focus on food, it holds a low priority in my life. I've never had to go on a diet because if I feel my clothes getting tight I start eating less. I refuse to buy a bigger size. So in general - I've been a low carber all my life. I never bought into the lo-fat dogma or the diet/cholesterol "heart healthy" diet.
I partly fear that you all won't want to hear from a skinny person - but I thought some might be encouraged by knowing that while I've never been on a "diet" in my life - I've avoided processed carbs and held the "fat genes" at bay for 30 years now.

P.S. - My father has pretty much followed the same way of eating for the past 30 years as well. He's 81, just retired from his "retirement job" working at a golf course. Golfs 3-5 times a week, stays trim and healthy, walks 3-5 miles a day and has no chronic diseases. My mother unfortunately did not avoid carbs, drinks way too much diet-soda. She waffled and developed diabetes about 8 yrs ago. Followed the ADA diet and got fatter and her glucose kept worsening, had a mild heart attack and trouble breathing. I finally convinced her to tell the doctors "tough I'm doing Atkins - deal with it" and has finally lost some weight and is starting to have the capacity to get some exercise. She's 75 and I worry that she waited too long.

doloresrod
Thu, Aug-12-04, 20:41
Just wanted to say that is awesome that you have been able to do that. I think more of us needs that in our lives. My mom and 4 of my sisters are very overweight. One sister and myself are about 20 pounds overweight. I do look at my sisters and think oh my gosh if I don't watch it then I could be 100 pounds overweight too. I can say 10 pounds of what I need to lose is what I gained when I was pregnant with my now 18 month old. But it has taken me for too long to lose it. I do have hypothyroid but when I started Armour thyroid I lost 15 pounds along with walking. But my dosage still is not right and I am working with my endo. to get that corrected. And hopefully will be on my way again to lose weight.
I hope you continue to do what you have been doing.
Take Care, your words are very encouraging!

dee66044
Fri, Aug-13-04, 07:41
I too come from a fat family, however, unlike you im not skinny. I grew up on hamburger helper and twinkies and lots of crap that I'd never feed my kids. Im trying to get my mom on atkins as well but she is resistant. Maybe after she sees me succeed she will be motivated to try it as well.

adkpam
Fri, Aug-13-04, 08:00
I think your story is fascinating and will fill up the gaps for people who are wondering, "But what about long term?"

Thanks for sharing.

gandktahoe
Fri, Aug-13-04, 08:18
Your story is so encouraging. I just wish I could have had the insight at an early age to realize that I needed to eat differently.
I came from a family of five children-my parents are both 'onlies' so they had no experience with sibling rivalry. Mom's attitude was "Clean your plate, here's a cookie" (an attitude for which she is now very apologetic). All five of us have battled weight through the years. The next-to-youngest has done the best in managing her weight.
I am 55 years old and I plan to live long enough to see my grandchildren grow up and have families of their own. I realized about 5 months ago that to do that I would have to drop some serious poundage. I have lost a little over 40 pounds since March 15 (I use the 15th of each month as "official" weigh day). I am hoping to reach-or even pass-my goal by my next birthday in April.
I finally realized that a few moments of pleasure and enjoyment were not worth the pounds on the hips and gut. I sometime surprise myself at how easy it has been to follow this WOE.
To anyone out there who is having a tough time...come to this forum often and read as many posts as you can. You will see that you are not the only one having trouble. But the kinds words and encouragement given by the wonderful people here will help you get past the bumps in the road. :agree:
Karen in Tahoe :wave: :wave:

doloresrod
Fri, Aug-13-04, 08:29
I had wanted to mention earlier but didn't have time that I have 3 kids. My 11 year old is overweight. But since Feb. when the doctor told me to put him on a diet, he has lost 9 pounds and has 10 more to go. And it's not that I haven't tried to put him on diet before the doctor said because I have but I think with my son hearing it from his doctor he was more willing to stick to it. He has so much more energy and has jogged over a mile without stopping and before he would have never had done that. It was difficult for him to walk 2 miles with me and now it amazes me the difference that is has made in him. I know playing football this time will be so much easier than last year. I also have a 6 year old and 18 month old. My 6 year old is like her father, doesn't gain weight. I hope she stays that way. My husband has a very high metabolism and I hope that is one thing my daughters will inherit from their father. Unfortunately, my son seems to have inherited my side of the families' genes but we will continue to work on his weight loss. He has another check up in 6 months and I that my son will reach his goal even before.

LilaCotton
Fri, Aug-13-04, 17:40
Hiya! I don't know why we wouldn't want to hear from a 'skinny' person--especially someone who stayed that way doing exactly what we're trying to now! I'm just so thrilled for you that you learned early what it's taken most of us our whole lives to figure! :)

Your story is nothing but inspiration. :)