PDA

View Full Version : I'm new, any advice, I am at a stall and can't seem to lose any weight at all.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bjbrand
Thu, Aug-12-04, 09:04
:help: Hey, I started the Suzanne Somers diet but mostly eat protein, veggies and fats but I'm not losing, she says to eats lots of low carb veggies which I do but it gets a little discouraging to not lose, then I try to cut my calories and still don't lose, then I try to cut the veggies and don't lose, I am in a funk right now, any suggestions?

Iowagirl
Thu, Aug-12-04, 09:45
It would be most helpful if you would post some of your menus. Hard to say what exactly is going on without knowing what you are eating.
Welcome!

Paleoanth
Thu, Aug-12-04, 10:02
Definately post some menus. Welcome to the forum!

bjbrand
Thu, Aug-12-04, 13:36
Breakfast: coffee with cream and splenda, decaf usually a whole pot.

Lunch: big salad, lots of meat maybe some cheese.

Dinner: another salad, meat, veggies with butter.

Snack, cheese or eggs or veggies.

I am a big eater and am usually not hungry till noon or after.

Iowagirl
Thu, Aug-12-04, 13:54
Well a whole pot of coffee will have carbs. Generally you can figure one cup = one carb. So there's 10 right there. I'm not sure how big a big salad is or what kind of veggies you are eating.

Here is a very helpful website. www.fitday.com It is free and an easy way to track your daily intake.

tofi
Thu, Aug-12-04, 14:39
The cream and Splenda also have carbs.

Almost every diet plan I've ever read says that breakfast is a really necessary meal. So I'd start with breakfast every day.

You don't mention whether you are drinking at least 64 ounces of water every day - not tea, coffee or other drinks but water. It's not an option; it's essential to drink at least that. Water helps the kidneys flush out the burned fat/ketones and other byproducts. If there's not enough water intake, then you liver has to take over some of the kidney function and can't be busy burning more fat. Some theories are that your body will just move stuff around if you don't drink enough water to flush it out.

bjbrand
Fri, Aug-13-04, 08:43
On the somersizing you don't count calories or carbs but I do watch my carbs, no sugar, starches, fruits and I drink about a gallon of water a day. Maybe I'm just a slow starter, I do go on crazy fad diets sometimes to drop some lbs. fast so my metabolism is probably messed up.

Good53XX
Fri, Aug-13-04, 11:47
You didn't say whether or not you drank decaf? Caffeinated drinks are AWEFUL when it comes to low carb diets, I am not sure why but I believe they cause an effect similar to a sugar-rush? Also, Caffeine would cause the body to lose water, meaning you'd have to increase your water intake drastically, correct?

I don't know much either, just trying to help however possible :)

MsTwacky
Fri, Aug-13-04, 14:04
If you try all the things that are posted above and use fitday and everything is perfect and you still aren't losing....then you can either try another plan for yourself or just sit tight because low carb has to be a way of eating and a lifestyle change and not just a quick fix.

I had this same problem and once my body realized I wasn't playing around and cheating it started to let go of some of the weight. But exercise HAD to play a big part of me losing also!! :)

Good Luck!!

bjbrand
Sat, Aug-14-04, 00:12
Thanks for all the help, I don't drink any caffeine at all so I'm just going to hang in there till the old bod knows I mean business and quits acting bratty and starts letting go of these extra lbs. I had a few bad days where I pigged out on sugar after I wasn't losing any weight so I'm back on track now. I'll keep reading other success stories here and get more encouragement so I can succeed.