PDA

View Full Version : Night time Munchies?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Deborah50
Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:50
I've been at this low carb plan for about 3 weeks and have lost about 10 pounds, which is good, but not great. However, I'm dealing with my everlasting bugaboo of night time munchies - any ideas on how to deal with my need for "crunch" without lots of extra carbs, too many calories? If I eat pork rinds, I just spin out of control. Help!

Also, I'm confused with all of the different approaches - quantity limits are not talked about in some books and mentioned in others. Experienced "losers", what have you found?

nets33
Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:52
Welcome!

First congrats on your weight loss so far :cheer: !

There are lots of different options for snacking... nuts are a good option. Check out the recipe page for some other ideas.

Good luck,
Kiks

monkey boy
Fri, Aug-06-04, 16:19
I need to stay away from pork rinds because of the salt. If I get the munchies at night I scramble a few eggs. They are filling and don't feel so heavy in your stomach, not good to go to bed with a full tummy...

Tara Rose
Fri, Aug-06-04, 17:41
some days you're just more hungry then others.

I find celery stuffed with herbed cheese or chicken salad works great. Crunch and protien all in one.

As for amounts, well the more veggies the better. I keep fruit down to one serving times a week.

Also I doing the old WAIT 20 minutes after eating to see if I really am hungry.

LilaCotton
Sat, Aug-07-04, 00:16
My favorite night-time munchie is sunflower seeds in the shell. It's hard to eat very many of those! A one-pound bag (and that includes the shell) will usually last me anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

When I first started Atkins I could eat pork rinds and pork rinds and pork rinds! I found before long they sort of started to self-moderate themselves. Instead of sitting down with the bag I now grab a handful and put them into a bowl, and usually dip in a bleu cheese dressing or ranch dressing/cottage cheese concoction. This is a very satisfying snack.

By the way, 10 pounds in 3 weeks is terrific! :)