PDA

View Full Version : Six weeks wasted

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Talla
Mon, Aug-02-04, 09:42
I started on my diet six weeks ago and lost weight the first two weeks then blew it. Spent the next four weeks gaining back the 7 pounds I had lost. I'm not going to make excuses because it was just real crappy willpower.
It is frustrating now because I work alot outside and the temperature is staying between 35 and 38C. I'm really finding this hard because I won't wear shorts in public. Hopefully this will be a learning experience for me and I'll be able to stay on the program better this time. I know there will be times when I will cheat, but I know I need to keep it to a small cheat once in a while and not just throw in the towel and go overboard.
I need to check in with this site every morning, because it is very motivating reading what works for people and the success people are having.( also finding out what doesn't work). I packed my scale away for a while. I'm one of these people who are on it all the time and find it very discouraging when it doesn't move.
I know I can do it this time. Slow and steady wins the race. :agree:

green-tea
Mon, Aug-02-04, 09:54
When you get a craving for something illegal, why don't you write it down. Maybe you could even write how you are feeling (bored, upset, happy). As time goes by, you can start managing these little cheats and maybe do something about them. Even if you do cheat for now, just writing it down helps. Start by diciplining yourself to just write, then managing the cheats will follow.

4beans4me
Mon, Aug-02-04, 11:23
Not wasted, just use it as a learning experience! You CAN do this!! :yay:

nepeta
Mon, Aug-02-04, 11:37
I also can get discouraged by the scale, I'm taking a break from it too. Last summer when I did atkins for the first time, I got pretty frustrated cause I wasn't losing after the initial 5pounds of induction, and went off the diet, I didn't think it was working. So I understand. This place is great, what I've found out since then is that everyone stalls around the third week, and for most this diet takes a lot of patience, but is well worth it.

You can do it, you aren't alone. I think a lot of people fell off the horse, and they just had to jump back on. Changing one's diet often doesn't happen overnight, it's a big change.

toofattoo
Mon, Aug-02-04, 12:13
Welcome to the forum. So you cheated, just start all over again and don't be so hard on yourself. We have all made mistakes but if you learn from them, than it's a lessson instead of a mistake.Do you like my way of thinking? Peg

tofi
Mon, Aug-02-04, 12:32
The time wasn't wasted - you were learning how this LC way of eating works. It takes planning and preparation to have the right foods around and the wrong foods NOT in reach or even in the house. You're changing a lot of habits in a short time.

Watch out for these phrases:
1 bite won't hurt
Oh what the heck, it's my (birthday, Saturday, hot,useless, etc. - you choose and supply your own.)
I am so tired, I just can't

Take a look at the 2nd line of my signature and decide what you REALLY want in the end and whether what you are about to do will get you there.

Now get in there and LOSE!! :lol:

green-tea
Mon, Aug-02-04, 12:47
HI tofi :wave: I like the second line of your signature :thup: :thup:

Drake
Tue, Aug-03-04, 17:11
"Before many successes there are ten times as many failures" This will only strengthen your resolve. Every pound lost here is earned by self control and self motivation. Pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, and ride this challenge like no other. There is strength in numbers and we are all here for you whenever you need us. I believe in you. GOOD LUCK!! :thup:

Cara73
Wed, Aug-04-04, 12:06
Hang in there, you CAN do it!!!! My recommendation is to start a journal. When you feel the need to cheat, come here and post about it. Post what you are thinking about having and that you are NOT going to have it. Then make sure and post back the next morning or whenever to say whether or not you've had it. It may not work for you, but it makes me feel accountable for it. It makes me not want to eat it because I will be embarrassed coming back saying I did have it. And make sure and be honest. Maybe it might work for you.

Just my .02.

Best of luck to you!!!

chicamala
Fri, Aug-06-04, 00:05
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life." Makes sense to me....feeling wonderful and healthy, even if the scale doesn't move, is a much more optimal goal....you are less likely to blow it when you take that angle....

You are headed in the right direction by getting back to the ways of eating that helped you feel better before. That's not failure.

SLMDezi
Fri, Aug-06-04, 10:56
Hi there,
I totally agree...don't beat yourself up over it...hang in there and it will be worth it...this is a great place for support...good luck to you...oh if I can put in my two cents worth..i'd say get a tape measure...sometimes the inches come off a lot faster than the weight does...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/602/50042Hugs_34.gif

Talla
Sat, Aug-07-04, 20:22
Thanks eveyone for the words of encouragement. I think one day at a time is going to do it for me. Staying off the scale has been the hardest, I'm trying to go two weeks between weighings. I know now if I breakdown and have a little cheat, I have to keep it to that and not go off my diet and pig out for the rest of the day figuring I'll just start again in the morning.

weisser4
Wed, Aug-11-04, 07:58
I try to start each day new. If I cheated yesterday, I reaffirm what I want and try not to do so again. I also try to find out why I cheated. Usually it is while sitting in front of the TV with my DH. We stopped snuggling so much, I think I am going to go back to snuggling and give up munching, snuggling is more fun!