PDA

View Full Version : What is this insulin-resistant diet??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kiesa
Sat, Jul-31-04, 13:10
I've never heard of an insulin-resistant diet. What are the basic rules?? :eek:

notorious
Tue, Oct-26-04, 12:34
The IR diet is based on the book "The Insulin-Resistance Diet : How to Turn Off Your Body's Fat-Making Machine". The authors indicate that many people are Insulin Resistant (with a chapter on how to determine if you are). For those people, excess weight is caused by over production of insulin, as excess insulin is stored as fat. The basic idea is that if you eat no more than 30 g carb every 2 hours, and balance it with at least 14 g protien (which doesn't affect insulin), then your nsulin will not spike. By avoiding regular over-production of insulin, you will store less fat and lose weight. The diet looks like this:

Fat:20-30%, Protein: 20-30% Carbohydrate: 40-60%. Fats and Oils: Keep fats to a minimum, include some good fats. High-Carbohydrate Foods :Eat no more than 2 servings at any one time. Eat at least 2 fruits servings daily. High-Protein Foods: Eat at least 8 servings a day. Include 2 to 5 servings of dairy foods. Vegetables: Consume Freely, but eat at least 3 servings a day.

After struggling to lose 22 pounds in 18 months, I started this way of eating (with some minor 'tweaks'), and lost my last 40 pounds in the next 18 months with. It was AWESOME! Nothing is banned, so it is doable over the long haul and it has done amazing things for my hormones. I have PCOS and it has normalized my once high insulin, testosterone, free androgen and cholesterol. Even now that I am maintaining my weight and have taken up distance running, I can still follow the principles to keep my hormones in check.

Hope this helps.

burgundy
Tue, Feb-08-05, 11:20
Can I ask you what kinds of meals you usually ate on this? I'm insulin resistant and I have the book although it seems a little confusing. All the %s!

Anyway, I'd appreciate the help.

:wave:

notorious
Wed, Feb-09-05, 08:26
Breakfasts: Cottage cheese with fruit,
smoothie (protien powder, fruit, tbsp yogurt and milk)
egg/ toast

Lunch: 1/2 Whole grain pita with baked crab, sweet peppers and cheese
mini pizza on low carb wrap (Peppers, ham, tomato paste, cheese)
Whole grain sub (whole grain bun with ham or turkey, tomato, cheese)

Supper: Grilled veggie stirfry and lean chicken
whole grain lasagna (cheese, meat, cottage cheese)
spinach salad with grilled chicken

Snack ideas: Beef Jerky, trail mix, apples, strawberries, Zone bar.

I didn't obsess about the %'s..as long as my carb was 30g or less and I was getting at least 14g of protien in that 2-3 hour window, I was happy.