PDA

View Full Version : Failing newbie - HELP

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kiesa
Thu, Jul-29-04, 18:31
Hello, everyone.
I'm failing at Atkins and this diet isn't by choice - the doctor put me on it so I don't become diabetic.
I was practically a vegitarian before starting Atkins (just because I don't enjoy eating meat much) and ate around 40g of fat a day max. I was also a sugar addict. I know that Induction can make people feel sick for up to four days, but mine lasted a week of severe nausia, dizziness and weakness. I had to stop induction because I'm a pilot and I can't safely do my job like that. I felt better once I up'ed my carbs and downed my meat and fat intake. So then I started eating 30g of net carbs a day, but I don't restrict the type of carb except I don't do sugar or white flour. It's not working though. I tried going back onto Induction and just started getting sick again. What should I do?????

:help:

adkpam
Thu, Jul-29-04, 18:45
30 grams net carbs is not bad at all. I lost eating 40. But then, I had more to lose. But apparently that's not your concern.

Is your blood sugar still troublesome on 30 grams a day? And how do you know?

Induction may not be for you, it's true, but it doesn't mean you have to give up. I'd investigate "Atkins for Life" which focuses on Maintenance.

Another book I'd recommend is "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution." It's the best book I've ever read about diabetes and how to control it. I read it in one weekend because I couldn't put it down.

And trust me, once you get to the end, you should be scared straight.

kiesa
Thu, Jul-29-04, 18:50
Hello, adkpam!

Thanks for the reply. I am not yet diabetic (thank goodness). The doctor just wants me to get to 130 lbs to ensure that I don't end up there. I have PCOS which has resulted in me being insulin resistant making it impossible for me to lose weight any other way.
I'm not seeing any results and I've been on the 30g net carbs for three weeks.
I will definitely read "Atkins for Life", so thanks for the suggestion, and congratulations on your success.