PDA

View Full Version : 40yr old type 1 diabetic dx 2months ago

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jpickett
Tue, Jul-27-04, 10:43
hello all,
life changed big time a few months ago with the dx of type 1 diabteties - i have reduced my insulin to 2units prior to meals ( down from 14 and 16) and 12units at night - sometimes i have not taken my insulin before meals and have had little change in my BS. I got Dr. Bernsteins book about a week ago and have had success from day one - my fasting BS this morning was 106 - prior to this week i had been going to bed at 100 to 110 and waking at 130plus - i followed his program with low dosing in different areas of the body and waiting the full five hours after my last meal to inject - i have been exercising almost everyday and just know it is part of my life now - a far cry from 2 months ago when my BS was almost 600 - i have a culinary degree and have been cooking a lot and have all kinds of ideas for very palitable foods with very low carbs

Iowagirl
Tue, Jul-27-04, 11:57
Welcome! Run to the recipe section and start posting! :)

black57
Tue, Jul-27-04, 11:59
Jpicket, Good for you!!! Plus you are almost at goal! Congrats on getting a handle on your doabetes and continued success. Please stay active on this board and keep us updated. You will in-turn receive lots of support.

BadgerGirl
Tue, Jul-27-04, 14:34
Congrats on your weight loss and the numbers you posted!

Will you be able to stop taking insulin once you control your blood sugar with diet?

How did you know you had diabetes?

Lighten up
Thu, Jul-29-04, 13:57
:help: My husband is trying to do the LC life with me....
He is also Type I DX: age 12...42 now
Any ideas how to "do" LC w/ diabetic lifestyle (avg, control)
:q: You mentioned doc's book?

Thank you for your time
:wave:

tofi
Thu, Jul-29-04, 14:39
Just to clarify for anyone reading: this is Dr. Richard Bernstein's The Diabetes Solution book. (Not Stanley Bernstein's proprietary plan in Ontario.)

Glad to hear that LCing is doing such a good job for your sugar control. You are going to escape many of the complications that could have come with uncontrolled sugars. All the best.

jpickett
Fri, Jul-30-04, 13:47
the drs book is Richard Bernstein's - even this week i have had a reduction in my insulin - i am taking 4 untis prior to breakfast and 8 untis at night - my BS's are staying within normal limits all day - morning is my highest reading the average this week being 126 - after 9:30am until bed i have been staying in the 90 to 110 range without insulin - i am consuming approx 30grs of carbs/day - i will start posting in the recipe section

jpickett
Fri, Jul-30-04, 13:48
i am exercising a lot - min of 4 days per week - 6.5miles of rollerbalding at a time x 3 days per/wk and weight training the other