PDA

View Full Version : New here, with questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Idgie
Tue, Jul-27-04, 09:16
undefined

Hello, everyone. I'm wanting to start the low-carb lifestyle and have some questions. Is the Atkins or South Beach a better program, or just doing it on "my own" program okay? Also, I keep hearing about "no coffee." Is this true? I am a coffee addict! I did Weight Watchers and lost 50 pounds but have gained back 10, and now need to loose 20. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks to anyone for help!

BadgerGirl
Tue, Jul-27-04, 14:26
Hi Idgie.

I'm no expert, but the South Beach Diet (SBD) seems to be riding on Atkins coattails and trumpeting something "new." I think you can eat fruit during induction and bread thereafter. My eyes light up at that, but it's because I have a problem with bread. ;)

The main thing that irks me is that the SBD doesn't have a free web site. Atkins does, and it is full of recipes and inspirational stories (with pictures, which is what I want to see).

It really depends on your sensitivity to refined carbohydrates (those with a higher glycemic index).

Start here http://atkins.com/ and see what you think. Then I'd recommend rounding out your low carb education by reading Dr Atkins New Diet Revloution and Protein Power. You can probably get them in your library.

Oh, and the reason coffee is ill advised is because caffeine raises insulin levels, causing a drop in blood sugar and, subsequently, cravings. There's probably a lot more scientific gobbledygood, but that's what I remember.