PDA

View Full Version : low-for kids??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DarthRaidr
Mon, Jul-19-04, 13:23
At my daughter's dr appt 2 mths ago, I asked about her weight and he said she's ok b/c her height and that she's solid and I could change to 1% milk and ice pops instead of ice cream.

Well Saturday, it was like out of nowhere, she want from thick and solid to chunky and flabby. Her belly was jiggely double chin and cellulite on her thighs.
She is 5 1/2 45" tall 60lbs,(size8 kids) which means she gained 10lbs in 2 months and is very active swimming,bike riding walking/running around. the tv is not a big part of her day.
Most family and friends say ..Oh she's just a kid it's just baby fat..But I want to nip it in the butt( :lol: ) b/c I know how hard it is too lose and also other kids can be cruel and she's starting kindergarten in the fall.

My question is (finally) What do I do??? is low carb ok for kids?? when the "food pyramid" isn't the answer. Can I use low carb bread for sandwiches,
We have a weight problem on both sides of the family ,so that's why I'm concerned so early. Thanks for any input!

LilaCotton
Mon, Jul-19-04, 14:43
Hi. I can understand your concern, but I don't think you need to go full-blown low-carb with a 5-year-old. :) I have a 6-year-old son, 48" tall and right now 53-54 pounds. When we started LCing he weighed 59 pounds. I had no intention of him actually taking off weight, but he did, and just from me making better choices for him food-wise. He is by no means on a low-carb diet--he eats a healthy diet that includes meat, veggies, whole milk, whole wheat bread, whole grain cereals, corn and fruit (he doesn't like rice, potatoes or pasta unless the potatoes have no gravy and the pasta is macaroni and cheese). What has changed is the fact he no longer gets chicken nuggets, mac & cheese and green beans for supper, but instead has meat, low-carb veggies, and a carbier side dish. He gets chicken nuggets only when we go to a fast food place which is usually only about every couple of weeks. I also cut back on things like desserts. He still eats about one Pop-Ice a day during the summer, and sometimes will have a cupcake (one about every two weeks from a supply in the deep-freeze). Otherwise, he eats frozen treats made from artifically sweetened Kool-aid, LC ice cream (I just don't buy regular ice cream), and LC cheesecake topped with berries and whipped cream, and every few days he eats a small carton of regular yogurt. Oops! I almost forgot--he also gets the occasional peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and ever now and then some good old-fashioned candy. To be truthful, though, he's so used to eating this way now that when he wants something for a treat (except the aforementioned PopIces and cupcakes), he's after the LC stuff in a heartbeat.

Like you with your daughter, I don't ever want him to have to deal with the angst of trying to take off unwanted pounds. By teaching him to eat properly at this age maybe he'll be able to avoid that down the road. He's learning that some foods aren't good to eat every day, and also learning that a person needs a good amount of protein and fat and plenty of good veggies, fruits and WHOLE grains vs. the processed stuff. :)

Nancy LC
Mon, Jul-19-04, 15:20
I'd say eliminate the sweets and starches. I grew up without them and was skinny until I got to be an adult and moved away from home and my Mom's strict food control over me. :p

Finestof07
Mon, Jul-19-04, 16:18
Maybe you could try Carbohydrate Addicted Kids by the Hellers. It supposed to balance kids' meals. Instead of eating a meal completely composed of carbs & starches, you add plenty of protein and some fat. It may work; it's designed with young kids and teens like me in mind.

DarthRaidr
Mon, Jul-19-04, 18:15
UMM DUH, I didn't realize a chicken nuggets kids meal was that bad and oh yes she and my som have one a day from various places..Mcdonalds, Wendy's, Burger King,
We do good for dinner, she loves plain broccoli..so I'll make dsure to only go there as a treat now. Thanks.

LilaCotton
Tue, Jul-20-04, 00:35
Rules to remember:
Low-carb/high-fat=good (for adults)
Moderate-carb/moderate-fat=good (this is how my little guy eats)

Of course kids can burn off most of these foods a lot better than we adults can. ;)