PDA

View Full Version : 2x's is not the charm

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

yruhere121
Thu, Jul-15-04, 21:18
Hello everyone, please help. I did Atkins last year and did it badly with out reading the book, yet I was very successful. Got crazy and went off. Now that I am trying to get back on the right way, it's just not working. I decided I would do it with your help, so please help! 2x-ing in Cali :help:

sgleason
Thu, Jul-15-04, 21:50
Hi;

I'm new here too. I did Atkins last July-October and whoosh, lost 26 pounds just like that. From October to May I ate whatever I wanted and gained 1 (one) pound back. Now I'm back on Induction trying to lose the last 10 pounds - and it isn't going as quickly. But! I am making slow progress.

The only idea I had was that last year, low-carb products were rare and expensive, so I ate more salads, veggies, etc. So I've tried to keep myself to fresh food with 1 low-carb "treat" per day. That seems to be helping.

Good luck! Hang in there, and I will too!

rloveman
Thu, Jul-15-04, 22:18
That's excellent advice. I know I do best when I avoid most of what they call "frankenfoods" here, those that are heavily processed and artificially sweetened. The one exception is stuff that's got a lower carb count because of added fiber, like some of the low-carb tortillas out there.

Also, I choose carefully. All artificial sweeteners are not created equal. So while I avoid most of the bars and low-carb chocolates out there because they contain maltitol (which is high-glycemic AND frequently causes stomach upset and worse), I'll eat limited amounts of stuff sweetened with Splenda and erithrytol.

sevenclark
Thu, Jul-15-04, 22:39
Hello; if I were you I'd start on a clean induction for a couple weeks. Plan ahead, have all the foods you need and eat ONLY what is on the allowed list. Avoid anything that isn't *natural* like the plague. And sign up for a free account at fitday.com; you can track all your foods and it adds up the carbs and everything else for you. VERY helpful! Good luck!
Julie

yruhere121
Thu, Jul-15-04, 23:35
Thank you all! Great advice. Regarding weigh in's do you all have a certain day that you weigh in? What about sun flower seeds are they allowed and also dill pickles. They only have 1 gram of carbs?

sevenclark
Fri, Jul-16-04, 09:28
I weigh on Fridays, usually. Sometimes, like this week, I'm skipping b/c TOM is coming and I retain water like a fiend. I'll just wait until next week sometime and weigh then. I don't do it every day; I think that would drive me nuts!
About the seeds and pickles, if you aren't on induction you can have them.

tofi
Fri, Jul-16-04, 09:32
And it is important to note that a "second round" of Induction does not produce the same dramatic 10% results of the first time. It just gets you going again and into ketosis. So be satisfied if you start losing again - that's success for the 2nd time around.

trishw1213
Fri, Jul-16-04, 11:28
I usually weigh every other day, just to get a perspective on how my weight will normally fluctuate and maybe figure out the reason. I usually stick to pickles and other similarly salty stuff as garnish only. I could easily scarf down a whole jar of whole dill pickles, but I would show a few pounds of water retention gain the next day. Very frustrating! Like you, I've never seen the rapid results getting back on the diet as I did the first time around. But it's worth it to me even losing slowly because I feel so much better. Good luck and stick with it!

yruhere121
Fri, Jul-16-04, 21:46
You guys are incredible. I can not thank you enough. I am on induction only day 2 so I will avoid the dill and sunflower seeds. It's also great to know that it will be different the 2nd time around. I had attempted to jump back in saddle before but was discouraged by the lack of results. My current challenge is: breakfast is easy enough, if I am running late, I can stop by McDonalds and get a side of sausage and an egg. Lunch I am in the car, I use this time to pick up my son from school. I would love to have dinner before 6pm, but I don't get off until then and by the time I actually get out of there and home it's closer to 7-7:30. I think if I focus I can be home by 6:30, but this still puts my last meal pretty late.

rloveman
Sun, Jul-18-04, 00:12
One thing to note with the pickles: They're usually loaded with sodium. So enjoy, but be aware that you may have some water retention afterward.

yruhere121
Sun, Jul-18-04, 00:32
Thanks rloveman,
This makes me sad because I love dill pickles dipped in splenda! Yummy! No I am not expecting!! I will resist the pickle!