PDA

View Full Version : Are Red Kidney Beans a NO NO?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Steph111
Mon, Sep-10-01, 09:00
I was wondering if red kidney beans are high in carbs? I wanted to eat chili for lunch but I think that red kidney beans are a no no. Can someone confirm that for me? Thanks
:roll:

Natrushka
Mon, Sep-10-01, 09:23
Hi Steph. there is a carb counter on this site, located under "Low Carb Tools" It will give you a breakdown of all nutritional information for the food you are looking for. Kidney beans are definitely a no no......38g/cup. ouch. :eek:

Nat

Steph111
Mon, Sep-10-01, 09:26
Thanks for confirming what I thought!!!

Stephanie

JimLewis
Mon, Sep-10-01, 09:26
Most beans, including red kidneys, are relatively high in carbs but are also high in fiber. So they are not out of the question, but must be strictly limited. The issue with chili is what is the ratio of beans and tomatoes (high carb and cheap) to meat and peppers (low carb and more expensive). If this is chili out of a can forget it. The chili in cafeterias and bars also usually has too much beans. I make chili at home with alot of meat, onions and peppers but no beans at all. My wife (who doesnt do low carb) adds some seasoned beans to hers and I eat mine over crumbled mexican fresh cheese.

Raven
Mon, Sep-10-01, 11:32
I was looking at some canned chili in the supermarket today, and even the ones that had NO beans had a good 28 carbs a serving.

Oh well no chili for me. I suppose one could cook something from scratch that would resemble chili without the carbs, but i'm not a cook.

Raven

Natrushka
Mon, Sep-10-01, 12:01
Originally posted by Raven
I suppose one could cook something from scratch that would resemble chili without the carbs, but i'm not a cook.

I guess what we've been making for "tacoless taco salads" resembles chili in a way.... just take ground beef, brown it up with some onion, garlic, a tablespoon or two of tomato paste, some louisiana hot sauce, a little bit of chili powder (it does contain carbs) and spoon into a bowl with lettuce. Top with grated cheese, fresh dairy sour cream (the good stuff has 2 carbs per FOUR tablespoons) and salsa. Its filling, tasty and reminds me of the chili we used to make in the winter.

Nat

BillT
Mon, Sep-10-01, 14:30
http://homepage.mac.com/ChefBillT/flageolets.jpg The only bean that’s really acceptable for low-carbers is flageolet, a French bean pale, thin, flattened and less floury than most of the other legumes. It is particularly esteemed in France where it traditionally accompanies legs of lamb. It is especially available dried or canned but more often dried in the US in gourmet stores. At 4 ECC per 1/2 cup, it’s a bargain and ought to be the low-carber legume of choice. Vive la différence! :D

Natrushka
Mon, Sep-10-01, 16:46
Originally posted by BillT
At 4 ECC per 1/2 cup, it’s a bargain and ought to be the low-carber legume of choice

Hi Bill. Does flageolet taste like any other bean? Would it be suitable for a chili?

Merçi,
Nat

BillT
Mon, Sep-10-01, 17:32
Originally posted by Natrushka
Does flageolet taste like any other bean? Would it be suitable for a chili?I would say that the closest it would tastes is "lima" but much more refined. Using it for chili would be quite some cultural cross-over… but you try it and let us know…

Natrushka
Mon, Sep-10-01, 18:14
Using it for chili would be quite some cultural cross-over… but you try it and let us know…

I surely will. Should we be that experimental.... beans in chili were never my favourite ingredient ;) I am going to try them on their own, however. My tastes seem to have changed right along with my dietary habits.

Thanks for the tip.
Nat

heartrock7
Mon, Sep-10-01, 20:05
:q: Nat, do you have a good idea of how many carbs are in the 'taco' salad you mentioned and about how much a serving is. My cravings are rarely for sweet things, but Mexican food drives me wild. This sounded so yummy to me.

Thanks, jean

BillT
Mon, Sep-10-01, 20:31
Originally posted by Natrushka
beans in chili were never my favourite ingredient . . . I am going to try them on their own, however . . . Thanks for the tip.
Nat That's what I just thinking. Tex-mex is not my specialty but, if I'm not mistaken, a true chili does not have beans. "On their own" would be my favorite way too for flageolets… with a little butter, and cream… Bon appétit! ;)

Deirdre
Mon, Sep-10-01, 21:55
I make chili with beans all the time! I use Eden Organic Black Soy Beans, they have about 8g carbs per serving I think.

Here's my "recipe"
2lb ground beef
1 can Eden Organic Black Soy beans, drained and rinsed
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
chili powder, garlic and cumin to taste

Not sure what the total carb count is, I'll figure it out one of these days!

BillT
Tue, Sep-11-01, 19:58
Originally posted by Deirdre
Not sure what the total carb count is, I'll figure it out one of these days! http://store5.yimg.com/I/low-carb_1649_6507034

Deirdre, each 1/2 cup serving contains 8 g carbs, and 7 g fiber, so that would be 1 ECC per serving, 3.5 total with 3 1/2 servings per can. I find the fiber count a little optimistic though, notwithstanding the potential dangers associated to soy…

tamarian
Tue, Sep-11-01, 20:02
Deirdre, each 1/2 cup serving contains 8 g carbs, and 7 g fiber, so that would be 1 ECC per serving, 3.5 total with 3 1/2 servings per can. I find the fiber count a little optimistic though, notwithstanding the potential dangers associated to soy…

This one has been a bit tricky, here's a recent discussion, along with Doreen's correspondence with Eden:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17169

BillT
Wed, Sep-12-01, 00:40
Wa’il, I am not surprised at all! It’s not much of a concern for me though because I don’t trust soy at all (http://www.westonaprice.org/soy_alert.htm).

madpiano
Thu, Sep-13-01, 03:03
I love chilli and so does my BF. I ususally cook Chilli as "normal", but don't eat the beans on my plate. Does anyone know if Beans "leak" starches or carbs during cooking ?

BillT
Tue, Sep-18-01, 00:09
Originally posted by madpiano
Does anyone know if Beans "leak" starches or carbs during cooking ? Yes, they do. Adding beans to a stew or a soup is a common way to thicken them…

madpiano
Tue, Sep-18-01, 14:55
Hmmm, my BF will have to get used to Bean-Free chilli then... ;)

PJ in Miam
Mon, Jan-21-02, 23:45
BillT, thanks for that link about soy. Boy. Talk about eye opening.

It's mentioned that some of the nasty side effects are lessened if it is combined with meat. So I suppose using it in chili would be better than using it alone, if one had to use it.

PJ