PDA

View Full Version : new low carb

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

l.a.susan
Thu, Jul-08-04, 15:28
i have been on lc for 1 month and have lost about 6 lbs . dont know if its water weight or
for real. i am 58 used to be a dancer, always an "indoor jock" broke my back 5yrs ago.
had 5level fusion and have lived in chronic pain since. in oct 03 i had to stop working and
have been primarily bedridden. just received a pain pump implant and am recovering.

have gained 90lbs in 10 yrs. in the last 5 40 of those. have always had weight issues.
been on every diet including atkins in the 60's and pregnant womens urine injections (for real)
fen phen worked magic i lost 35lbs in 6 months and for the first time in my life wasnt obsessed with food. a year after stopping tried again several times and it did nothing.

i know that the only real way to lose weight is to cut in half everything i now eat but, i am a compulsive overeater and find it impossible. im a lacto-ovo vegetarian and have been finding it difficult to get enough to eat. i cant cook for myslef so i need ready made or frozen foods. (im going to try to do a cheese omlette today). as im not moving and am on extremely high doses of opiates my metabolism is about 0 . when i heal from my surgery i
will return to the pool aerobics i am able to do.

any advice will be appreicated. i have terrible shortness of breath and people keep insisting
if i lose weight my back pain will be lighter. i keep saying "prove it" lol. susan

TwilightZ
Thu, Jul-08-04, 19:26
I'm not the person you wanted to hear from first, because this is the "slap in the face" reply. If you remain l.o.veg I seriously doubt you've got much of a chance of success. [BTW, been there done that--every form of veg, vegan, macro, you name it] Aside from low carbs, it is SPECIFICALLY the animal protein and fat in the form of red meat, poultry and fish that satisfy your appetite and keep you from overeating. You can only accomplish so much with eggs, and dairy does not limit overeating the way meat does. In fact, much dairy contains opioid substances that make you overeat, like carbs.

Ready made and frozen foods are processed and make weight loss even more difficult, not to mention the toll they take on your health.

I'll be happy to provide links which discuss the importance of animal food and debunk the myths of vegetarianism. If you've read that kind of stuff already and dismiss it or think it's just propaganda, fine, but IMO it is literally impossible to accomplish the success others have had with low carb, without significant amounts of ANIMAL protein and ANIMAL fat--yes that's saturated fat.

I don't have quick cures for you, but personally I think you're on the disaster track. Give it some thought and let me know if you would like any info on anything. Down on the Neanderthin board, you'll find people eating naturally the way we believe that humans were designed to eat. The guy who wrote the book cured his own medical problems. Again, don't mean to irritate, just passing by and saw your post, and felt obligated to clue you in on what you might not have known.

Best of luck in any case.

Howard

l.a.susan
Fri, Jul-09-04, 12:18
i cant believe yours was the first and only reply i got. i can understand all your points about the difficulty losing weight on a low carb vegetarian diet. however, your rant about my being
a vegetarian is beyond out of line. i have been an ethical vegetarian for 40yrs and an animal activist. on these points you.....well have no point.

if your inquiring as to my sucess or failure. i will be at my pain docs office next thurs . if i have not lost any weight by then i will go back to what worked for most of my life before.
low/nonfat, portion control.

i feel incredibly betrayed by sharing my story on this forum and probably wont return.
susan

Tanikova
Fri, Jul-09-04, 16:42
:o please susan... don't go away.. there are many vegatarians who are sucessful in the low carb area, though I will say they have to work at it harder then those who are omnivarious....

I agree that your weight is probably part of the pain puzzle and I wish you all speed in getting better control of the pain..

It will be harder to do with out being able to cook easily... if you can buy blocks of cheese and either cube them up or have someone do it for you it can help to use as part of a meal or snack... bagged salads are a god send to me... variety and not having to chop... grape or cherry tomatoes... olives

cheese olives and tomatoes make a great lunch

if you can get up for a short time hard boil a lot of eggs.... that way you have them for snacks or to easily make egg salad or deviled eggs

I think tofu is a good option though I am not aware of how to cook it....

and nuts can be a good snack or added to a meal....

of course the sugar free jello and whipped cream option for sweetness, or fresh berries with the whipped cream...

as to exercise, maybe some isotonic (spelling??) exercise... where you resist against yourself, some small hand weights to do arm curls when your pain will allow, my guess is any movement you can do in bed without causing yourself pain will be better then nothing....

I wish you all the best... and hope to have the pain lessened... I do know that relief from pain accelerates healing....

please post again... I think there is a low carb vegatarian forum here :idea:... they may know more that can help you

l.a.susan
Sat, Jul-10-04, 14:58
wanted to thank you for your kind and helpful response. i will do more of the things you suggest. i think splenda is making me nauseas. which tells you im eating too many treats. (chocolat/cholate keto bars)
never had sugar issues but opiates make you crave them. susan

Built
Sat, Jul-10-04, 15:09
Hey -

This guy's a low-carb vegetarian. http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=52862

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/500/5286210daysout_043e-med.jpg

It CAN be done.

TwilightZ
Sat, Jul-10-04, 20:00
i cant believe yours was the first and only reply i got. i can understand all your points about the difficulty losing weight on a low carb vegetarian diet. however, your rant about my being
a vegetarian is beyond out of line. i have been an ethical vegetarian for 40yrs and an animal activist. on these points you.....well have no point.

if your inquiring as to my sucess or failure. i will be at my pain docs office next thurs . if i have not lost any weight by then i will go back to what worked for most of my life before.
low/nonfat, portion control.

i feel incredibly betrayed by sharing my story on this forum and probably wont return.
susan

Nowhere in your first post did you mention anything about being an ethical vegetarian or an animal activist. I had no way of knowing whether you knew what I believe is the truth or not. That is specifically why I said that if you think my links are propaganda or garbage, then ignore them. I just think everyone deserves to be aware of the existence of this information. There was no rant about your being a vegetarian; I didn't call you names, and never criticized you personally. You asked for advice and I gave you what I believe to be the honest truth. I mentioned that I used to be vegetarian (and ethical, to boot, even belonged to PETA) to emphasize the fact that although I was passionate about it in the past, I have now discovered information that I believe proves vegetarianism inappropriate. And I ended my post by wishing you luck in any direction you choose to go. Yes, I'm an evil, heartless person and I promise I won't bother you anymore.

TwilightZ
Sat, Jul-10-04, 20:04
Hey -

This guy's a low-carb vegetarian. http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=52862

It CAN be done.

And that's as good a reason as any to dump vegetarianism. Okay, I admit it, I am evil. :)

mischa
Sat, Jul-10-04, 20:31
this is a place to welcome people to the forum.

We do have a LC warzone!!

Hi Suzan and welcome..I am sure you will find a lot of good support here.

I wish you great success :wave:

mischa
Sat, Jul-10-04, 20:34
here is a link you may find helpful

http://sheknows.com/about/look/3266.htm