PDA

View Full Version : low carb for candida

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sueklein
Fri, Jul-02-04, 16:50
:q: Hi i am new here and i really could use any advice anyone could give me.I have severe candida and i have recently put myself on a low carb no sugar diet.I am starting to feel better because of it, but from talking to herbalists i know i will have to take an antifungal at some point to completely rid myself of it.Here is the problem.I have tried taking different antifungals before i went on the low carb diet and the die off was so bad i couldn't continue. Within a couple of days of taking it my stomach would hurt so bad i couldn't even eat or function at all.So my natropath said i would need to go on a low carb diet first and try and reduce it that way, then take an antifungal. So my problem is i can't afford to go back to the natropath and i need feedback on whether i am doing my low carb diet properly, at what point do i start taking an antifungal and when i do what can i do or take to reduce the die off reaction if it is really bad.I don't get any other symptoms with the die off except for my stomach.It is just so unbearable i can't take it.
Please help anybody!!!!!
P.S.I have numerous food allergies as a result of the candida which makes it even harder.

Jadzia
Sat, Jul-03-04, 07:36
HI - there - sorry to hear about your problem. I have suffered in the past for many years from being vey prone to thrush (caused by the candida yeast) but I have to say that since doing Atkins the frequency has been reduced dramatically - i have only had it twice in 12 months. And those times were over Christmas and Easter when i totally over indulged in chocolate and all those nice naughty things around at those times of the year. I ended up feeling dreadfull - lethargic, sicky and with a dose - due to the high level of sugar in my blood which the yeast thrive on. Stick with the diet and see if the situation improves without medication- I also know it's best to stay clear of cheese and mushroms as they have fungal properties. (there is a chapter at the back of the Atkins book specifically about this) Do you use tea tree oil - it is a great help if you suffer "down below". Good luck

eric909
Sat, Jul-03-04, 08:31
Hi and welcome to the forum http://users.adelphia.net/~ecountz/welcome.gif

sueklein
Sun, Jul-04-04, 07:36
:wave: Thank you for the advice i haven't tried tea tree oil but i will give it a shot.

VickiR
Sun, Jul-04-04, 08:47
welcome, it's too bad you can't afford to go back the naturopath; can you call and arrange for a payment schedule for an additional visit or something? I bet that even 20 dollars a month would be acceptable, as long as you arranged it in advance.

I have a lot of faith in naturopaths, since I originally was told by a naturopath to lowcarb. I also had my chronic UTI's cured by a naturopath. Neither of these things were paid for by insurance, I had to pay out of pocket, and, in both cases, it was the best money I ever spent. That's why I think you should talk over a payment schedule with your naturopath.

Be careful with the tea-tree oil; if you have sensitive skin, any essential oil can be very irritating if applied directly.

I personally don't know much about candida, sorry. Good luck!

MyJourney
Sun, Jul-04-04, 08:54
There is a huge thread in the supplements section about Oil Of Oregano. Its supposed to really help candida.

Also on the low carb diet you should avoid dairy, vinegar, mushrooms, nuts and grains for at least 3 months to rid your body of it totally if you dont want to take antifungals.