PDA

View Full Version : On the Way at Last

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KarenB
Sat, Sep-08-01, 11:27
Greetings to everyone!

I'm not new to low-carbing, but I am to this site and I *love* it. Thanks for being here!

I began this time around last April. It's slow going, which I understand is pretty normal when one restarts a low-carb WOL. I'm trying not to be discouraged: After all, I'm already into a Misses 16 (from an all-time high of a 24-26, several diets and one child ago), and can actually put on (as in button AND zip, without pliers) a size 14 pair of jeans I got on clearance for less than $5. ::grin:: I figure even if I wear them once, the satisfaction of *fitting* into them is worth way more than a five-spot!

I'm learning not to listen to the almighty scale for my happiness. My weight hasn't changed in two months, but the inches keep vanishing. I still weigh in, sure, but it doesn't hold the Alpha and Omega of my success the way it used to when I was on WW, for instance. Then the numbers meant *everything.* Now they're a guide, and that's about all. The numbers I care about are my daily carb count! :D

I find that I have to keep close to 20-25, even after five months of this WOL, or things become difficult for me. Maybe later on that will change, maybe not. I don't really care as long as I can lose the rest of what I want to lose, and I don't care how long that takes me. I'm not on a timeline, not this time. When people ask me what diet I'm on, I tell them I'm not--and they look at me dumbfounded. Most of them can't wrap their brains around the idea of *life* changes such as this entails. Then they look at what I'm eating, and they become even more confused--or intrigued. If they ask questions, I answer. If they don't, I keep quiet. I've found a few folks who would rather belabor me for my WOL than listen to how it's helping me (and thousands of others!), and to them all I can say is, "You can see it's working, can't you? Take it up with my internist if it bothers you, but this is what I am now and I'm staying right here."

The headaches are gone, the mood swings are far more manageable, my GI tract issues are minimal now (I used to have very bad digestive problems, which of course everyone told me was because of fat--something I *rarely* ate because we all KNOW it's bad for us, don't we?), and the list goes on and on. Most of all, though, I look GREAT and have more energy than I can ever recall having. (That's good for my daughter--it takes a lot to keep up with a 4-year-old!)

All right, I've gone on enough for an introduction. I look forward to conversing with folks here; it's wonderful to have a forum for those of like minds!

Karen

tamarian
Sat, Sep-08-01, 11:40
Welcome aboard Karen, glad you found us. :)

Congrats on you success and improved health. Keep us posted on your progress.

Wa'il

Karen
Sun, Sep-09-01, 01:12
Welcome to lowcarb.ca Karen!

I think there are now four of us around here - Karen's that is!

Karen

Serenity
Sun, Sep-09-01, 05:00
Hi Karen

I am new also,started three weeks ago on low carbing. I read Atkins tried it once and gave up after 2 weeks which was silly however now trying it again and this time hubbie is doing it also so we are both motivating one another.

I have been on 20 grams a day but a bit worried about increasing it....However I did bake protein bread which was alright but I would rather do without it altogether. I haven't had a sweet or a cake or a crisp in three weeks and I must say I do feel better.
I have more energy than before and I love having the breakfasts and I can go past 11am without feeling the need for carbs!!

I am also new to posting on this forum so bear with me if I get it wrong but its a great place to gain info and help!

keep up the good work

serenity

debbiedobson
Sun, Sep-09-01, 07:43
welcome karenb:wave: i love your positive outlook! it's very inspiring!

welcome to you as well serenity!:wave: