PDA

View Full Version : 8 weeks and 50 Lbs. later!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

burgerman
Fri, Jun-25-04, 20:05
On April 22, 2004 I took my blood pressure at a friend's house and was shocked to discover that it was 180 over 112. I had been having dizzy spells when I got up and down and even when I rolled over in bed, but ever in denial I figured it was just a virus or something. When I saw my blood pressure reading there was no more denying it, as a 46 year old man who weighed 400 Lbs. I was a stroke waiting to happen! On April 27th I started Atkins and have not cheated once because I am so determined. After 5 weeks I took my blood pressure again and it was 120 over 80! I had not weighed myself until today and when I got on the scale I had dropped 50 Lbs. in 8 weeks! I know it won't continue at that speed but I dont care because this is not a diet this time, this time it's the way I will eat the rest of my life, so there is no "race to the finish line" and a victor's feast!!!
I sleep all night now without having to get up to pee every 2 hours.
I wake up in the same position I went to sleep in, no tossing and turning.
No more dizzy spells.
I honestly do not miss bread, potatos, pasta or starch of any kind.
I have taken my belt in 8 holes in 8 weeks.
My wife started the same day and she has lost 30 Lbs.
My 13 year old daughter started the same day, has had 3 - 4 cheat days,
and has still lost 31 Lbs.
The "low fat diet experts" are still whining about the low carb diet saying that it is unhealthy, but I don't think anyone is listening to them anymore. We listened to them for the past 20 years, were hungry all the time, and got fatter and fatter. Thank you Dr. Atkins for standing up for what you believed in, in spite of the naysayers. :wave:

HollyAyott
Fri, Jun-25-04, 20:07
congrats on your amazing loss, keep up the great work, your a living testimonial this life does work!:)

orchidday
Fri, Jun-25-04, 21:09
Thanks for sharing that with us. I helps remind me of the many reasons I am doing this. Congratulations on your success and I hope I see you around the forum a lot more!

Orchid

josiekat
Fri, Jun-25-04, 21:50
Wow....50 pounds in 8 weeks is amazing! Congrats!

JGrover
Fri, Jun-25-04, 21:59
WOOOOHOOOO!!!

Congrats man! That absolutely made my day! I was just whining in my journal about not loosing fast enough and having cravings... etc...

But your post reminds me of WHY I am doing this.

Thank you! And again, CONGRATS to you and you WIFE AND DAUGHTER!

godog_go
Fri, Jun-25-04, 22:03
Excellent!
Keep up the great work!

LilaCotton
Fri, Jun-25-04, 22:20
Your post is so well thought-out, and sounds a lot like my own experiences with this WOE. I am so happy for you and your family that you are becoming healthier. :)

czlebis
Sat, Jun-26-04, 05:05
Super news! Congratulations!
Cristin

black57
Sat, Jun-26-04, 09:00
Burgerman, Loved reading your and your family's experience. Yes, contrary to popular opinion, lowfat is full of crap. Have you seen the program Lowcarb and Loving It? It is on the Food Network and comes on in CA on Sundays, check your local listing. The host of the show is a chef, who had weighed about 400 lbs and was going to die if he didn't lose the weight. His entire family was overweight. For fun, he decided to do low carb, namely Atkins, and to his chagrin, the weight was coming off. Soon his entire family began the program and they are now thin. Last week the son made low carb philly steak salad.

Congrats on your loss and keep up the good work :wave:

Black57

gandktahoe
Sat, Jun-26-04, 09:08
Excellent!!! I have been doing the LC thing since March 15 and have lost about 30 lbs. Your story is so encouraging. I also had a high BP-142/94. Lately it has been more like 120/82. Much better and I don't get the frequent headaches or dizzy spells. Keep up the good work. :agree: :agree: And keep us all posted as to your progress.

MISSRED197
Sat, Jun-26-04, 09:36
Hi and welcome to the forum!!!! :cheer:

Congrats on the loss so far!!!!! The blood pressure reading is what did it for me also!! It's almost like scared straight. You're doing wonderfully!! Congrats on your wifes & daughters loss also!! It's awesome that ya'll are doing it together!!!

You are in the right place for support and motivation!!
Best of luck!!

Hugs~

Penweary
Sat, Jun-26-04, 10:20
Congratulations Burgerman to you and yours!!! What en encouraging post! Its a wonderful thing when everyone in the family can follow the same way of eating.

I just started Atkins Induction today. :)

jadefox26
Sat, Jun-26-04, 10:26
Fantastic progress!!!! that's so great, and I am so happy for all of you. As for it being hunhealthy - baloney - it's the rest of the diet industry panicking and trying to get some grip back on a population who has turned their back on low fat diets!!

My step dad had his cholestarol taken before going on the diet and was shocked to find he was at 7.8 - which is dangerously high, 4 months and 40lb lost and he had it done again, this time it was 5.2 - perfectly acceptable for a man of his age.
If this diet is meant to be bad for you - why does that kind of thing happen??

Make sure you keep on going, you're doing so well!!
xxxx

bcbeauty
Sat, Jun-26-04, 10:29
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/500/48375cute.gif http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/data/500/48375welcome2.gif

And a huge congrats to you and your family!

Malindajj
Sat, Jun-26-04, 14:16
Oh WOW! I'm totally jumping up and down for you. I don't know how old your daughter is but I'm so glad to hear about her loss too. I was overweight as a teen and wish for anything that I would have took it off then instead of now. But I wasn't ready for myself back then.

I have been doing low-carb since April 15 and have lost 30 but with one cheat night a week. But after reading your post, I might quit my cheating. I wish you LOTS of luck!

With prayers........

Malinda

Finestof07
Sat, Jun-26-04, 16:51
Congrats on you and your family's success!! Like your daughter, I'm a teen too, and sticking with Atkins was a struggle for a while, but now I'm happier than I've been in a very long time!! And you're soo right. This is not a diet, this is not a race to the finish line. This is a balanced nutrional way of life. Well, I hope you stay on track, and 100% sure you'll reach your goal weight. Welcome to the board :) - Kim