PDA

View Full Version : AtkinsFacts.org should be AtkinsFiction.org

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ellemenno
Thu, Jun-24-04, 19:13
This is an email I received today from one of the low carb mailing lists:
Us doctors don't get much nutrition training in medical school. So
when my patients started coming to me on the Atkins Diet, I frankly
didn't know what to tell them. Atkins' recommendations certainly
seemed at odds with what little I was taught. So I decided to try to
figure out the truth for myself.

What I was first struck by is that many critics of the diet hadn't
even read any of Atkins books! So first things first--I first every
edition. Then I went to the medical library and dug though the 30
years of research done on low carb diets.

I put all the research I found on a new website I created:

http://www.AtkinsFacts.org

I would love everyone's feedback.

Basically I started to become really concerned about the long-term
welfare of my patients that have chosen this path and I wanted to
share my research with others.

Please check out http://www.AtkinsFacts.org and let me know what you think,
-Michael
--
Michael Greger, M.D.

http://www.AtkinsFacts.org
Sorting Fact from Fad

mhg1~cornell.edu
(206) 312-8640
185 South St #6
Boston, MA 02130

Please, visit this website and email these people and tell them what you really think. Really.

:mad:

tamarian
Thu, Jun-24-04, 19:19
Yes, I got the same email, but from him as a feedback on our site.

I looked up the site, and it's filled with comments and opinions from lobby groups, and pseudo-research by PCRM members. Which explains their "facts" based on their misguided beliefs, not science.

I wish they'd at least attempt to debunk published clinical trials and scientific studies, but they don't want to be confused by real facts.

Wa'il

Lisa N
Thu, Jun-24-04, 20:34
You have to consider the source as well. Here's some information on Dr. Greger:

http://www.veganmd.org/bio.html

Vegsource (note the "hosted by" link at the bottom of the web page) is a PCRM affiliate. :rolleyes:

doreen T
Thu, Jun-24-04, 21:44
Michael Greger M.D. is a well-known and very vocal animal rights activist.

Attendees of today’s PETA press conference in Madison, Wisconsin might expect to hear from reliable standby Neal Barnard, who leads the misnamed (and heavily PETA-funded) Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine. But instead of Barnard, they will be hearing medical “evidence” about the supposed “dangers” in milk from a Boston doctor named Michael Greger.

Greger is a long-time animal activist and vegetarian evangelist who typifies the collective move of American animal-rights zealots toward cooperation with other radical movements. In his own “Animal Rights 2002” convention speech, Greger declared: “The future of the animal liberation movement depends on our ability to unite with other social justice movements, and corporate globalization is the key bridging issue we’ve been waiting for all of our lives”

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=1601
Michael Greger -- a vegetarian activist doctor who maintains a brisk animal-rights speaking schedule and edits the mad-cow-scare web page of the Organic Consumers Association. He recently provided PETA with a laughable treatise suggesting that the SARS outbreak came from livestock farming. Greger titled his mad-cow stump speech "Mad Cow Disease: Plague of the 21st Century?." He argues: "although no pigs or chickens have been found with the disease ... any animal with a brain has the potential to become infected." Greger has yet to produce any evidence to support this claim, largely because there isn't any. Neither hogs nor hens (nor fish, for that matter) suffer from mad-cow-like illnesses. Greger is planning to hit the lecture circuit in an effort to "keep hammering" the meat industry and "keep this momentum going."

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=2282

According to the Center for Consumer Freedom, Greger is the protégé of Thomas Pringle (http://www.activistcash.com/news_detail.cfm?hid=1077), also a vegan animal-rights activist ... who is known to have ties to extremist environmental groups (http://www.activistcash.com/news_detail.cfm?hid=741) such as Earth First!, which has a long history of violence.

Doreen

PlaneCrazy
Thu, Jun-24-04, 22:02
His email at cornell is right there on the site. Write him directly and tell him what you think. Write him twenty times a minute to tell him what you think. :)

Dr. Greger can be contacted directly at mhg1~cornell.edu, at (206) 312-8640, or at 185 South St. #6, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130.

ellemenno
Fri, Jun-25-04, 01:58
You know, I thought this was very PCRMish, even when I just read the email.

<grumble>

Quinadal
Fri, Jun-25-04, 03:52
I'd like to know how these people can claim the AMA denounces the plan, when Dr A came up with it after he found it in JAMA?

Paleoanth
Fri, Jun-25-04, 04:56
The really upsetting thing to me is that you can be a vegetarian on Atkins, if you want to. There is no reason you have to choose either/or. Maybe I should email them the link to the vegetarian part of this forum.

Angeline
Fri, Jun-25-04, 06:50
Yes but you can't be vegan on Atkins. They are against eating meat, fish, milk or eggs.. any kind of animal protein. Not much left to eat except carbs.

amarlyn
Fri, Jun-25-04, 09:26
What a biased site and yes I did send an email - quite along one asking for right of response....lol as if.

WHo was he tring to kid looking for info on LCing.
I gave him this to chew on - I could continue on the normal low fat high carb diets and be dead in 5 yrs or LC and survive.

Sharon

amarlyn
Fri, Jun-25-04, 09:29
ooops forgot

one thing that was on the site was that the Albert Einstein colledge of medicine asked Atkins why he had not done a study.......his widow is commisioning one at that very institution currently to run over a 3 or 5 yr period dependant on the participants :agree:

Quinadal
Fri, Jun-25-04, 10:11
The Albert Einstein College is already running a 4 yr study right now.

ooops forgot

one thing that was on the site was that the Albert Einstein colledge of medicine asked Atkins why he had not done a study.......his widow is commisioning one at that very institution currently to run over a 3 or 5 yr period dependant on the participants :agree:

PaulaB
Fri, Jun-25-04, 13:05
I am a bad girl I sent an email to him and got this reply

Can you answer 1 question, do you have links with the pcrm?

I have no ties to PCRM (although they do have a decent website up).

Because you seem to be spouting the same rubbish as they do.

Do you honestly think the following organizations ar"spouting rubbish"?

American Cancer Society
American Dietetic Association
American Heart Association
American Institute for Cancer Research
American Kidney Fund
American Medical Association
Center for Science in the Public Interest
Cleveland Clinic
Cornell University Cooperative Extension
Fredrick J. Stare, Ph.D. (founder of Harvard's nutrition department)
George L Blackburn, M.D., Ph.D. (current Chair of Harvard's nutrition department)
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic
Northwestern University School of Medicine
The Medical Letter
Tufts University School of Nutrition
UC Berkeley School of Public Health
United States Department of Agriculture

They are saying the same as I,

Now being patronised gets my back up, I wonder what his opinion is going to be called basically a patronising git, because I sent this back to him

Can you answer 1 question, do you have links with the pcrm?

I have no ties to PCRM (although they do have a decent website up).

Because you seem to be spouting the same rubbish as they do.

American Cancer Society
American Dietetic Association
American Heart Association
American Institute for Cancer Research
American Kidney Fund
American Medical Association
Center for Science in the Public Interest
Cleveland Clinic
Cornell University Cooperative Extension
Fredrick J. Stare, Ph.D. (founder of Harvard's nutrition department)
George L Blackburn, M.D., Ph.D. (current Chair of Harvard's nutrition department)
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic
Northwestern University School of Medicine
The Medical Letter
Tufts University School of Nutrition
UC Berkeley School of Public Health
United States Department of Agriculture

They are saying the same as I,
Quite frankly yes. You say we eat unlimited amout of fat and meat, wrong. We are constantly accused of eating no fruit and vegetables,well sorry but I just can't eat more than the 800 - 1200 grms of fruit and vegetables, and can you please explain the idiotic notion that you can control blood sugar level by eating food that is immediatly turned into glucose as soon as it has been digested. Doctors change their minds about diet more than most people change their knickers yet we are supposed to follow you blindly. Well here is some unpleasant news. you are not allways right and if you hadn't noticed people are starting not to trust doctors (couldn't possibly have anything to do with the condisending patronising attitude most gps have). i have a relative who has stage 2 diabetes, thanks to Dr Bernstein his health is better than its ever been, blood levels are normal weight is dropping cholesteral is very good so please excuse me if I would prefer him to follow this advise unlike a friend of his who is now suffering from the bad effects of diabetes.

If you think thats bad you should see some of the ones I have sent to my mp.

:lol:

amarlyn
Sat, Jun-26-04, 05:51
Well I am from down under and I have taken a look through your site on low carb (LC) diets. This seems to be very biased with no redeeming facts from the studies that have had positive results.

I thought I did indeed cover the supposed "positive" results.

I am glad you seem to be thriving. The balance of evidence, however, is that it posed a potential risk to most people, so I felt the need to get the word out,

Thank you sincerely for your feedback though,
-Michael

This was the reply I got to the email that I sent.
I did let him know that I could not have lost 37 litres of stored water in 11 weeks and my concentration was very much ok as I have just sat exams for a post graduate units while I was in ketosis. I eat veiges, take multivites and had my bloods done last week and they were all within normal limits. As to long term...my choice was stay on carbs and die in about 5 yrs or LC and be happy and healthy...or even if I have reduced renal function....guess which I choose. My diabetes is under control AND my GP has started LCing after seeing my results.

That study at the albert einstein.... the info I have from them is that the study I enrolled in during the last month is 3 yrs and for some participants could be extended to 5 - not a thing about 4 yrs it could be that the study has already been going for a year?????

Sharon

Lisa N
Sat, Jun-26-04, 06:57

Honestly, when it comes to low carb, yes. I think most, if not all, of these organizations are either protecting their varied interests (pharmaceuticals, food corporations, weight loss organizations, etc...) or are trying very hard to not admit they might be wrong (or both). In today's academic climate to admit that low carbing is a valid way of eating is tantamount to academic and career suicide in the circles that these groups inhabit. That is slowly changing, though, as ongoing studies continue to demonstrate that a low carb lifestyle is not only safe, but equally (and in some ways more so) effective as other ways of eating.