PDA

View Full Version : Acomplishment and question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Aklsuave02
Wed, Jun-23-04, 22:47
So it's been a while since I posted. I've been on the board for about a week. I wanted to share with everyone how excited I am. Today I went to belt notch number 12-- what does this mean exactly, well I bought this belt that was 54 inches in length and I was on belt notch 2 meaning I guess I was wearing a 53.5 inch waist when I started--- This is one of those belts that has a double pronged buckle with double holes that go all the way around it. So from my second to the last series of holes I have managed to continue to take it in, slowly but surely 12 total notches!!!

I guess by calculations I have lost a total of 6 inches from the waist now? So I now am wearing a 47.5 inch waist. I know, I'm still a great big fatty--- but hey, I'm very impressed with myself. When I think that I want to be at a 34 and I'm still at nearly a 48-- it's kind of depressing, but oh well! Better than being at a 54 right!? ;)

As for my question-- I generally consider myself to still be on induction for the most part I try to stick to under 20grams of carbs a day-- I feel that I will continue to do so until I lose all my weight because I have had these times where I cheat on the weekend and eat something carby and then I pick right back up and keep going--- now my weight loss has been slow and steady-- most people think it's been real great because in a year or so I've managed to drop 55 lbs -- Now thats a little more than 4.5/lbs a month-- HOWEVER, I feel that my cheats here and there are what have kept me from not having lost more in the last year-- You see, being a young guy and kind of a party guy-- I tend to enjoy going out with friends to the Bar every now and then-- I love beer and have given up Corona and other higher carb beers because well-- not only are they empty calories but who needs all those carbs right? I rather enjoy Michelob Ultra Lite-- I think its a great beer and having only 2.5- 2.6 grams of carbs per 12oz serving- I think thats great--- BUT- we get into that whole debate about sugar alcohols and so on and so forth-- I can say- ok-- no beer- and drink vodka sodas-- not vodka tonic but vodka sodas--- plain old soda water has no carbs- tonic -- stay away from it--- but nevertheless--- even though it doesn't have any carbs your body will still burn the alcohol for energy before it burns fat , right??

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is what do you all think about this little conundrum of mine-- To drink or not to drink--- that is the question!! Should I excercise some more will power and just give it up until I'm done losing the weight move on to further stages of Atkins like OWL and truly learn my carb tolerence level? I mean I know that by my ocasional cheats and the fact that I havent gained any of the weight back that I must be able to not gain weight on more than 20 grams of carbs a day-- so tehrfore if I wanted to have 4,5,6 beers on the weekend-- (ok ok, I won't lie... sometimes its more) or some jack and diet cokes or whatever have you--- maybe its not such a bad thing-- so long as I don't go crazy and carb out when I've got the drunken munchies-- (which is what gets me in trouble sometimes, (i.e. the ocasional cheat on the weekend) Sigh--- I donno. I wanted to get some expert advice. What do yall think?

Thanks a lot!

Ed

wbahn
Wed, Jun-23-04, 23:20
Expert advice? Well.....?

All things in moderation. And, as you are already aware, its a trade off. If you have the empty carbs and alcohol you can expect to take longer to reach your goal. Is the enjoyment you get from those activities worth that extra time? That's a question only you can answer.

I've never been a drinker - don't have anything really against it, but I just don't like the taste of alcohol. Yet I went out with friends to parties and dance clubs and other places where they were all drinking and getting drunk and I had soft drinks and had just as much fun as they did - and on many occasions more fun.

Just because you choose not to drink with your friends doesn't mean you can't be with your friends, even when they drink.

wbahn
Wed, Jun-23-04, 23:21
Oh, and I forgot to say, a big congrats on your accomplishments so far!

eric909
Wed, Jun-23-04, 23:34
Hi and welcome to the forum http://users.adelphia.net/~ecountz/welcome.gif

lizwhip
Wed, Jun-23-04, 23:42
Hi AKL,

In my (not so humble) opinion, it is the loss of willpower after drinking that will screw you up, more than the alcohol itself. I speak from experience. So if you are going to drink, you should try to plan out ahead of time what you are going to eat when the urge hits (and as you know, it will!).

Good job on your weight loss so far!http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Liz

Michelob Ultra is my drink of choice, by the way, and yes it probably slows me down but I drink it anyway.http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/icons/icon11.gif